Voting Round 2 - D.Gray-man vs. Nanatsu no Taizai | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 2 D.Gray-man vs. Nanatsu no Taizai

Who wins?

• D.Gray-man

• Nanatsu no Taizai

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany

D.Gray-man
Katsura Hoshino

-

Nanatsu no Taizai
Nakaba Suzuki

Rules
- You are allowed to vote for one Manga
- After 5 days, the Manga with the most votes will proceed into the next round
- In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it

Aizen

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Voting D.Gray-man. NNT is not bad, but DGM is more mature and my style overall.

Potatoe-Titan

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I will still go with Nanatsu no Taizai, there are about two manga in this war I would prefer over it and D.Gray-man is not one of it.

Gut's is the man

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Taizai. find it more to my taste.

Admiral Teach

Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
DGM not my style, and frankly I never could bring myself to read it. Taizai has many, many issues, but it is still better suited to my palate.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
DGM doesn't have a campain atm so I'm leaning towards NNT as Demonspeed fought for it already and is in the NNT section a lot.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I don't know much about D Gray Man and no one really promoted it. Can't do much right now.

Voting D.Gray-man. NNT is not bad, but DGM is more mature and my style overall.
You voted for OPM in the previous round! You can't tell me you find it more mature than Vinland, can you?

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Urgh, this is bad...
I loved both of them and it's kinda hard making a choice...
However, I'll probably go with NNT, because I simply love its cast. :XD

Ice

Reaction score
Country
North Pole
Omg I love both equally!!!!! But I guess NNT entertaines me more! D.Grayman has its stale moments I have to admit :(

Lambu

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I was waiting for this famous NNT Squad! to appear but it seems they forgot about their manga, what a disappointment... :nah

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I was waiting for this famous NNT Squad! to appear but it seems they forgot about their manga, what a disappointment... :nah
Gallon and syx only used NNT's name and made some promises to get the votes of a few regulars there in the WW. It never really existed. The former forgot about the event and the latter said holds a grudge :nah.

Skylent

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
DGM not my style, and frankly I never could bring myself to read it. Taizai has many, many issues, but it is still better suited to my palate.
[ :(

DGM doesn't have a campain atm so I'm leaning towards NNT as Demonspeed fought for it already and is in the NNT section a lot.
Of course it doesn't have a compain yet since it didn't compete yet in the first round!
But Alright, if the person who nominated it didn't do it, I'll do it!

Why you should vote D.Gray-man:

First of all the characters:
D.Gray-man characters are absolutely uniquely written. I have never seen in a manga characters who are so alive. What I mean is that they exist on their own, as if they were real people. The author seems to be capable of infusing life upon her characters. They are no longer a simple device to tell a story but can exist without the plot to make them act. When you read the manga, you can feel the characters reacting naturally without the need of the storytelling to make them act that way. They are masterfully well rounded with their traits not being just a series of characteristics but actually with a core that drives the actions of the character, a core that allows them to
This can be explained by how strongly the author feels about her characters, and you can say just by reading how much she loves them.

Unlike many shonens, their backstory is neither the only depth of the character (i.e the character revolving entirely about his motive spawning from his spast) nor there no, there is a perfect balance between the character's explained traits and those that are just inherent.

The characters are very various though not too numerous, which allows most of them to receive enough importance and characterization on their own without making them irrelevant later on.
The Noah family:

The villains are , IMO one of the best I have ever seen in manga. Their common design elements is especially well though and gives them a unique mystical aura while being very different from each others. They have an amazingly complex and endearing personality. The Noah family are very friendly and likeable individuals who just happen to also support the end of the world. The approach taken is very unique to the point of making you care and even BEING AFRAID for the villains while they still are very clearly evil. Their relationships and interactions are soooo cute and how they care for each other is very refreshing and will make you root for them. And they STILL manage to be menacing and scary in spite of that!

The exorcists all have a unique personality, unique abilities and they are very palatable. The diversity in the cast will allow you to relate to at least several of them while enjoying the others. What is especially is that none of them will be made irrelevant. Every exorcist can have his moment to shine, and when they have shone they are not done. The fact that they are "authentic" characters (see above) means that once you know everything about them, once they have done their glory action they are still here and are still interesting!

The universe.
While the universe of D.Gray-man is not especially expanded which is logical since it is based on the real world XIX Century, the changes it does are noteworthy. The concept of innocence and the mechanisms of the Noah family are treated with a masterly hand.
What I love even more is the atmosphere in D.Gray-man. Granted, everyone won't like the gothic vibe and the dark ambience of D.Gray-man. The universe od DGM is not depressing for all that. It has humour and optimistic characters to balance the dark themes (grief, despair, war...) and prevent you from falling in the so called darkness induced apathy. Even if you already voted and didnt read D.Gray-man, I really recomment you to try and read further and I hope you will find the greatness that I found.

The Plot,
What is special about the plot of D.Gray-man is that nothing is as it looks from the get go. Though it looks at first like a manichean story between the very evil Millennium earl and the pure innocence of God. I can't tell much because of spoilers but when you get into the story, you realize that every thing has hidden depth. Be it the characters, the organizations or the items, the they all are and the way Hoshino creates mystery around so many points in her manga , giving you hints little by little while hiding you many things and creating more mysteries absolutely captivates my attention.

The feels
Of course! A manga is something you feel before decorticating it! DGM can make you feel every emotion! There is epicness! There is sadness! There is Joy! There is humour! There is despair! There is relief! There is anger!
While it could be thought that DGM is an action/battle shonen at first, this is actually only a little portion of the interest of the manga. The amazing art (which gets better and better!) of Katsura Hoshino and how much she thinks up her facial expressions, paneling and builds up the pacing of the story only adds to the immersion in this universe and help you feel the struggle of, or even with the exorcist against the forces of Evil!

Now, if you won't DGM for the depth and storytelling, you can vote for the handsome boys!

If you are not into that, vote for the gorgeous girls!

And surprise surprise, we even have lolis!

And as an added bonus:

BEHOLD The greatness of D.Gray-man! (I think it won't be spoilers out of context so, go ahead!)

XXGenesis

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
DGrayman's Hiatus are wayyyyy worst than HxH. Too many plot questions are still left unanswered to barely any release & when we do it's still this long train ride too clarity...

Taizai takes this hands down. Such a really good manga. It's art can be better at times, but it's good asf

Status
Not open for further replies.