Discussion Dealbreakers

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
1. Guys acting like they "own" a girl either through marriage, chance encounter, or a relationship. He'll likely be a popular guy in school or a successful, wealthy business owner. He'll have loads of experience with women where the heroine will have little to no experience with men. Then she'll become submissive towards him while he goes about his business before he'll soften up a little bit towards her. Maybe it's because I'm a female, but the portrayal of women in these sorts of manga/anime are disgusting, IMO.
Even worse is when they act all condescending towards the girl, patting/putting their hand on her head and whatnot. Ugh...
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
It depends on the degree of idiocy. For instance, I couldn't get past the first few chapters and episodes of One Piece, Fairy Tail, or Naruto because of it. I appreciate DBZ for nostalgia's sake, though (I watched it when I was much younger).
I think the terms "idiot" is kinda.. inaccurate in some sense, to be attached to those characters. They're stupid, agreed on that, but from what I get from the main of those manga, their idiocy are not a "serious" idiot, more like idiot for the purpose of delivering the punchline.
 

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
3,397
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I used to dislike mecha series, but I liked Code Geass and Guren Lagann.
I used to dislike sports series (still do), but Chihayafuru is an exception. And there is another series talking about ice skaters which looks rather interesting, though I'm yet to check it further.

So, I don't know. I think I can take on anything as long as it doesn't contain things like: body swap, gender bender, fan service that somehow make me annoyed (very abstract I know *coughVividredcough*). As for general things like boring/annoying plot or characters, that's a given. XD
 

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2012
Messages
2,153
Reaction score
1,186
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I think the terms "idiot" is kinda.. inaccurate in some sense, to be attached to those characters. They're stupid, agreed on that, but from what I get from the main of those manga, their idiocy are not a "serious" idiot, more like idiot for the purpose of delivering the punchline.
I get what you're saying. Unfortunately, it's just something I can't get passed when reading some of the more popular shounen manga out there. I just can't bring myself to enjoy a main character like that, but that's just my preference on that. I'm sure they're great series regardless, they're just not for me.
 

REN KOUEN

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
5,480
Reaction score
1,292
Gender
Male
Country
United States
the biggest dealbreaker for me is an anime that doesnt stay true to a manga, whether it be by taking too much out, adding too mich filler, or just major plot changes / abrupt endings
 

Georgie

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2011
Messages
92
Reaction score
42
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Moe.
overly sexualized females.
Queer baiting.

As you can see, I am very limited in what I watch and read when it comes to anime and manga.
 

JuniperD

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 8, 2013
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Age
33
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I'm not really interested in horror as anything. As a movie or book or manga, as anything. So that is usually a deal breaker. Horror as a genre has never captured my attention in a way that interests me. I also don't truly understand why people want to have the horror experience, in my mind, it is the opposite of a what I want my escapism to be.
I also avoid ani-manga. I don't think that the medium of manga does very well when used in that way. I think ani-mangas usually come off as clunky and needless. Needless as in, why would I be spending time on this, when I could just be watching the manga. When I both watched Inuyashi and read the ani-manga it felt as if when I read the ani-manga, I was reviewing for some Inuyashi test that would never happen.
 

liductan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2011
Messages
854
Reaction score
3,074
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Chibi
-Moe
-Yaoi
-Traps
-Gender Bending?

I'm not sure about gender bending. I can't stand yaoi, but I read a manga where the boy gender bend. I didn't know at first, even when I found out, it didn't bother me because, he had a good excuse and still liked girls. Although, than that I don't like it..no offense to anyone. If it's the main focus, forget it.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
I'm not really interested in horror as anything. As a movie or book or manga, as anything. So that is usually a deal breaker. Horror as a genre has never captured my attention in a way that interests me. I also don't truly understand why people want to have the horror experience, in my mind, it is the opposite of a what I want my escapism to be.
Enjoying horror movies or amusement rides is a natural masochistic reaction that help you fight your fear according to a recent radio program I listened to
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,854
Reaction score
23,523
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
For me it's.

  • Gender Bender - I just don't get the appeal. At all. I mean for god sake aren't anime characters feminine enough?
  • Lousy Music - I can't ignore a bad soundtrack.
  • Neo-Religiosity - When series starts using gods and the universe out of the blue to guide their stories to a conclusion I never feel satisfied. Like I've been cheated somehow...
  • High-pitched male protagonist voice - Downright painful for me.
  • Lack of female characters/or poorly developed female characters - I think romance and romantic tension is great. Dudes hanging out with other dudes...not so much. And before anyone can ask NO a gender bender guy does not count!

I kinda want to say Sports and Time Travel too but the truth is I watch a lot of series with those in them so even if I count those as a negatives. They aren't actually dealbreakers.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Gore
Extreme violence

My threshold is relative to a series though. I can handle Hellsing and Vinland Saga fine, but I just couldn't get past the first chapter of Battle Royale. The art style in Hellsing was very stylized, and although Vinland Saga's art is on the realistic side, violence is expected in a story about Vikings. (It actually got less violent during and post-Farmland Saga.) Since I was squicked by the first chapter of Battle Royale, I can't imagine what the rest of the manga will be like considering the plot. :eek
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Slice of Life with uninteresting characters, when the characters bring nothing special and just series tend to develop into usual anime tropes without providing something new, most anime are like that, however there is a key plot element that differs in the good and great ones. I like pastiche, but dislike repeating a same boring plot line.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,854
Reaction score
23,523
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I've discovered a new one for me while trying out various light novel series.

- Chuunibyou protagonist

Instantly makes me hate the main character. I don't really even understand the upside to this. Why would anyone think this was a good idea?

Also starting to develop some dislike for otaku pandering. I like anime and manga but I kinda have a problem with something focusing on the subculture of liking anime and manga and using it as the core pillar of a series. If it's just an aspect of a character or two I'm find with it but if overdone like in something like Outbreak Company I can't stand it.
 
Top