Done Detective Conan 702

sheetz

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 8, 2009
Messages
27
Reaction score
93
Gender
Male
Country
United States
There's a part in the latest chapter that has me scratching my head.

Context: There are two mysterious characters:

Person 1:'The sender' has been sending strange packages to Detective Mouri's anonymous client. The packages appear to contain coded messages referring to the anonymous client's past crimes.

Person 2: 'The 'bomber' is the anonymous client who is now holding an entire floor of a department store hostage and threatens to blow it up unless the person who sent the packages is found. He is hidden among the store customers being held.

http://mangahelpers.com/downloads/read-online/45142/14

Conan: 送り主の狙いはわかった。。。
I know the sender's aims...
Conan: 後は、それを送りつけられた爆弾犯の狙い。。。
Next is the aims of the bomber who received those items,
こんな騒ぎまで起こしたその理由。。。
his motive for causing such a disturbance...
Conan: こいつばっかりは爆弾犯の出方をみるっきゃねぇけど。。。

This last line is the one I'm really having problems with. Does こいつ refer to the sender? And what does みるっきゃねぇけど mean?
 

Meriken

Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
May 7, 2009
Messages
79
Reaction score
25
Gender
Male
Country
United States
こいつ refers to his remarks in the two previous lines. みるっきゃねぇけど is the Conan way of saying 見るしかない (Same as バカヤロウ -> バーロー)

Quick translation:
送り主の狙いはわかった。。。
I've figured out the sender's objective...
後は、それを送りつけられた爆弾犯の狙い。。。
Now all I've gotta do is figure out the objective of the bomber who received those items,
こんな騒ぎまで起こしたその理由。。。
And his[her?] reason for causing this whole disturbance...
こいつばっかりは爆弾犯の出方をみるっきゃねぇけど。。。
But I'll just have to wait and see what the bomber's next move is to figure that out.

狙い does translate to "aim" in a literal translation, but in this context, it takes on a meaning like "objective," or "intention."
 
Last edited:

sheetz

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 8, 2009
Messages
27
Reaction score
93
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ah! Ok, thanks a lot!
 
Top