Art DGM Volume Covers Thread

Namiz

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 11, 2009
Messages
38
Reaction score
60
Gender
Female
Country
United States
That.....is one ugly color..... At this rate I think I prefer purple over everything >_>

This cover is...meh. The only positive thing is Kanda's pose and Johnny in the background.
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I love the orange. We've been suffering through pink/purple/blue since 2009, so it's time for a change.

I also love Mugen, Tim and Kanda's golem, and the city in the background.
 

MSofAofCOCA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2010
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
664
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Woah! Cool cover! Kinda like a smack in the face for everyone who has been complaining about too much purple lately xD
The Circle of the town in the background reminds me of the 14th's musical score....
I find Kanda's pitch-black hair striking. It's so... pitch black lol. Even his pants and johnny's communicator are gray and glow orange, but Kanda's hair is just so... jet black!
I definitely like this cover more than the one with allen and kanda (volume 20, i believe?). Maybe i'm more biased towards warm colors, but I find this one more interesting (though not as full, as say... cover #10).
Waiting for the back cover now :)
 

andrewsungchehau

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2009
Messages
379
Reaction score
62
Gender
Male
Country
Brunei
WOW, AMAZING Cover page!!!xD
Just as I suspected, got Kanda and Johnny in the cover but it exceed my expectation.xD
TIMCAMPY!!!xD

@MSofAofCOCA->Nice thought on the building as 14th musical score.
 
Last edited:

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Meh.The color is ugly and Kanda's pose bothers me.Looks like he's about to faceplant.
The rest is alright,though.
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I forgot to mention - Kanda's hair is black again! Maybe Hoshino has finally gotten past her rainbow-colored-hair stage.
 

hopeandlight

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2008
Messages
491
Reaction score
92
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
it's awesome!
love the black, it makes a statement
( and it's his real hair color after all)
can't wait for the next cover already
 

earthforge

MH's Most High Quality Poster
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2006
Messages
1,563
Reaction score
865
Gender
Female
Country
United States
The love affair with purple has ENDED! SUPERNATURAL FORCES BE PRAISED.

I do like the colors for Kanda, but that is one ugly-as-sin coat. And I thought nothing could top anime!Yukio's awful puke green coat.

Johnny, Tim, Mugen, and random Golem all look pretty decent.
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
So Kanda has one leg now? Really Hoshino? :derp I know his other leg is there, you just can't see it.

I'm kind of disappointed, I would have liked it to be just Johnny. But the coloring is goregeous, and shockingly NOT PURPLE.

Does this mean Allen's arm can be red again? Please oh please oh please!
 

Lomahongva

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2011
Messages
697
Reaction score
795
Gender
Female
Country
Spain
Ok, my impatience has finished!!!:shout So impatience i was that I did a post with my bet... as always I didn't get it :facepalm but I was near, "Lives of doubt "'s cover was in my mind and there's Johnny and Kanda :teehee *ashamed*.

We got it finally and I like a lot the result!!! Ofc, Johnny had to be on it (and same kanda but I couldn't think she'd do it, at least, as Apo-kun in Vol. 22, he'd be in the backcover). But it's true that this catch immediately the attention of fangirls (so imagine it when Lavi returns -one day), some of them thought Kanda was dead so it's a good idea in terms of sales and a the same time, it shows the othe main character from this volume's content.

Personally, I looove every color (I'm talking in general), but it's true that so much purple finally dissapointed me a bit. This orange tone seems good for me, it isn't a bright one, it's a bit dark and it reminds you sepia photos or old ones (even the tone some of the first color photos had). At the same time, Hoshino started to use warm colors with that chapter's cover 202) with lavi and Allen and Lenalee.

And yes!!! that detail of the circle is really good (omg Msf you're right: the musician score!!!).

Kanda's leg it's there. The other one is folded to show he's walking and do you see the orange spot next to kanda's leg? It's the boot. But imo she should have done it in a brownish tone.
 

hopeandlight

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2008
Messages
491
Reaction score
92
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
no kana's leg!!! yes i know its invisible i mean a different color
anyways things are getting serious?
with kana actually having black hair, who knows what could happen

also kanda's not holding mugen ( is this pointing to his life not revolving around the order)

a sack around kanda's neck (that wouldn't be alma's ashes would it)
I was just gonna mention how it looked like the musician's score (lol its already mentioned)
there's cross on those buildings , perhaps the order
maybe drawing parallel between order and noah
johnny's walking away from it, so is kanda, though in a different direction
perhaps because they go about things differently
and that golem and tim , they're so cute
I'm sure there's golem x tim somewhere
there's already kanda x mugen
 

relory

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2009
Messages
352
Reaction score
624
Gender
Female
Country
Norway
... Is it just me or does Kanda have a neck-pain lately? :D Maybe it's because he fell asleep with his head tilted during his last moments with Alma :derp /lame joke

I like how different people's thoughts are about the cover :) I personally like it a lot, I love the composition, the town-circle in the background and the colors (Johnny's colors are just gorgeous :zomg I like Kanda's black hair, it's a nice contrast to the rest of the warm colors - and I honestly prefer natural hair-colors over rainbow-anime-hair xD) :zomg Gotta agree that Kanda's coat isn't the nicest though, haha... But hey, it's Kanda; he'll look ~fabulous~ in anything :mono

It's pretty much a volume-version of the chapter cover of #208, I like that a lot too :pleased Overall it's an interesting and beautiful cover (to me at least :sweat)
 

capricorn

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2011
Messages
233
Reaction score
190
Gender
Male
Country
Jamaica
I don't know what people are complaining about, this is like the best cover its had since monthly. Reasons:
1) Not as boring as other monthly covers, a lot more variety and textures
2) The way the objects are organized on the page makes it feel complete as opposed to earlier monthly covers
3) The composition is far superior in terms of symbolic interrest and not just one character flashing a pose for some gay fanservice camio shot.

I think since D gray man turned monthly the only thing about it that I believe fell in quality was the volume covers and honestly this cover makes me feel really happy because in all honesty I thought it was going to be another snores fest....
 

relory

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2009
Messages
352
Reaction score
624
Gender
Female
Country
Norway
3) The composition is far superior in terms of symbolic interrest and not just one character flashing a pose for some gay fanservice camio shot.
THIS! :D (Although I wouldn't phrase it the same way LOL your comment made me laugh xD) Not that I have anything against the previous covers (I love them all lol :zomg), but I've missed the more "symbolic" covers that Hoshino used to do before the hiatus. This brought back the nostalgia :wub
 

Niko_kun

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2010
Messages
917
Reaction score
1,160
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I don't know what people are complaining about, this is like the best cover its had since monthly. Reasons:
1) Not as boring as other monthly covers, a lot more variety and textures
2) The way the objects are organized on the page makes it feel complete as opposed to earlier monthly covers
3) The composition is far superior in terms of symbolic interrest and not just one character flashing a pose for some gay fanservice camio shot.

I think since D gray man turned monthly the only thing about it that I believe fell in quality was the volume covers and honestly this cover makes me feel really happy because in all honesty I thought it was going to be another snores fest....
wow, you are right, i guess i think like this too (but i like the volume 20 e 22 cover xD)

This cover passed for me a Mediaval impression, i don't know if its because of the colors or the composition (that i loved) but seems so 'imaginary XIX century' *-*
 
Last edited:

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
3,193
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fun Forum
Stunning. Love the color scheme and choice of characters. Great composition and movement.
 

Mango-chan

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 17, 2010
Messages
193
Reaction score
129
Gender
Female
Country
United States
All that orange is making me want oranges. D: (or maybe I'm just getting hungry, errr...)
It's a nice cover, I wonder if the back will have Nea, Apo-Cardinal or Link.
 

fuff

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2010
Messages
537
Reaction score
156
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
i like the cover! its looks good!
 

Kalyra

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2012
Messages
126
Reaction score
57
Gender
Female
Country
New Zealand
I dont usually like bright orange, but its refreshing after all the colder colours.
Its bold but its not too bold. :D It reminds me a little of the old covers for some reason...
Lovely!
 

Dlanor_A.Knox

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2010
Messages
475
Reaction score
335
Gender
Female
Country
Netherlands
Wow!! I really like this cover :D
It's nice to see her swapping colors (though I really was in love with the volume 21 cover)
The orange isn't bad and she used it before in one of the color page's (the one with Allen, Lavi, Timcampy & Lenalee)

And Tim seems to really dislike Johnny's golem hahaha xD
 
Top