Done Dictionary fail: 友り

Ancalime

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 24, 2006
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Age
42
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I need hellllllp. T_T
I cannot find anything on this word anywhere, and I can't really make sense of it from the context in a way that allows me to translate it to my satisfaction. I know 友 is tomo/yuu, but...tomori? Yuuri?

Full context: a swordsmith has written a letter about a sword he made for the main character, and says the following:
本来 日本刀は適当な厚みと重みを有し
友りがある強靭な刀身が強みである
いくら持ち運びや切断の都合とは言え
こんな軽い剃刀のようなほとんど友りのない刀

I get the general impression that it's something like "there are swords that blah blah blah blah, but a razorlike sword like this has no equal," but can someone shed some light?

[ETA: the letter is "handwritten," so it's *possible* I've misread some of the kanji, but I'm pretty confident.]
 

Ju-da-su

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2007
Messages
1,279
Reaction score
989
Age
36
Gender
Hidden
Country
Thailand
. . . is it possible for you to upload the page so that we can look at it?
 

The Vapour

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 19, 2009
Messages
7
Reaction score
3
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
my guess is that you didn't type the Japanese word correct.

反り

The above word make more sense than 友り

http://gogen-allguide.com/so/sorigaawanai.html

反り(そり)in swordsmith refer to the curved part of Japanese katana.

If you still need the whole sentence translated, then let me know.
 
Top