well I was rereading one piece, and really oda sensei leaves lots of clues in the beginning sometimes, like garp appearing in the chapters 50-100 in the covers when helmepo and coby had their side story, but one of the clues is the following, its about when ace met luffy in alabasta, ace gave luffy a small piece of paper and told him " keep it, you can always find me with that " then nami sewed it on the ribbon around his straw hat to keep it, this might be sudden but I think after gekko moria and thriller bark is out of the game, I think luffy might actually find the whereabouts of ace, and he wont be far since black beard is after luffy any way, and he will help him, that means ace most likely did survive the fight with black beard teach, its just speculation, you never know.