Discussion Differences in the latest HxH arc compared to the rest

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,708
Reaction score
61,417
Gender
Male
Country
France
All the arcs are very different in general. Fans disappointed with this arc so far are probably annoyed by the exposition, which is more than usual. Also people want more of the Spiders, Hisoka, Ging etc.

You are not supposed to care about all these characters but I don't believe it's possible to be indifferent to all of them. Togashi is challenging himself with all these characters. The pacing has been slow most of the time but Togashi proved that he can change that very easily IMO(the recent mafia clash, Kachou's death). The less capable keep dying and it'll become more interesting. We are all waiting for the moment when everything will explode, that mafia clash will certainly help.
 

asmodias

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 17, 2008
Messages
19
Reaction score
7
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I love the DC arc. I think intellectually, it's complex, makes me think, and feels very mature. The dynamics between all the characters make sense because they all in multitude play a role in the story, no matter how small. I think it's really heavy in dialogue because of the nature of the succession war. After the succession, the dialogue should ease and the tone of the manga will shift.

What I really miss though is Gon, Kuropika, Leorio, and Killua all working together and enjoying each other's company.

My greatest concern is that the succession war will never finish... haha
 

Reebi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 10, 2017
Messages
2,432
Reaction score
4,091
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
With Gon out of the picture, it really loses the essence of HunterxHunter, which is Gon working with others towards a common goal. It's like Gon adds a childlike mind to this adult world and without him it's pretty dry and bland. For a battle royale, this arc is very boring. The problem I find in this arc, and the previous ones, is the fact that everything is explained by every character; the room for imagination is lost. The chapter without any dialogue (339) had to be the most powerful in my opinion because the reader could fill in the gaps and really focus on the art. A picture is worth a thousand words but when it's covered in dialogue the interpretation become limited.

As for the characters, it's very hard to become invested in them when they are thrown in and subconsciously there is a worry they will die. Togashi tries by giving the bodyguards panels but I would rather be reading the characters I already know and see how they develop rather than read a bunch of opinions of fodder status characters. Since this series has a lot of hiatuses every panel should count and I feel like explaining the storyline with tiny details is distracting.

Overall, this arc feels more like a spin-off rather than a main plot. Then again, I thought the Chimera Ants arc felt like filler when watching the anime because it deviated from the main plot. :s It's like Togashi is going in so many directions rather than focus on one plot and have the subplots revolve around it.
 

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
3,750
Reaction score
1,477
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
With Gon out of the picture, it really loses the essence of HunterxHunter, which is Gon working with others towards a common goal. It's like Gon adds a childlike mind to this adult world and without him it's pretty dry and bland. For a battle royale, this arc is very boring. The problem I find in this arc, and the previous ones, is the fact that everything is explained by every character; the room for imagination is lost. The chapter without any dialogue (339) had to be the most powerful in my opinion because the reader could fill in the gaps and really focus on the art. A picture is worth a thousand words but when it's covered in dialogue the interpretation become limited.

As for the characters, it's very hard to become invested in them when they are thrown in and subconsciously there is a worry they will die. Togashi tries by giving the bodyguards panels but I would rather be reading the characters I already know and see how they develop rather than read a bunch of opinions of fodder status characters. Since this series has a lot of hiatuses every panel should count and I feel like explaining the storyline with tiny details is distracting.

Overall, this arc feels more like a spin-off rather than a main plot. Then again, I thought the Chimera Ants arc felt like filler when watching the anime because it deviated from the main plot. :s It's like Togashi is going in so many directions rather than focus on one plot and have the subplots revolve around it.
I agree that the first part of hxh had its very core being gon and kil's friendship and adventures.
The other core part of it was how people use rules and environment to their advantage to get their goals. This arc is an insane excess of that.
 

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
With Gon out of the picture, it really loses the essence of HunterxHunter, which is Gon working with others towards a common goal. It's like Gon adds a childlike mind to this adult world and without him it's pretty dry and bland. For a battle royale, this arc is very boring. The problem I find in this arc, and the previous ones, is the fact that everything is explained by every character; the room for imagination is lost. The chapter without any dialogue (339) had to be the most powerful in my opinion because the reader could fill in the gaps and really focus on the art. A picture is worth a thousand words but when it's covered in dialogue the interpretation become limited.

As for the characters, it's very hard to become invested in them when they are thrown in and subconsciously there is a worry they will die. Togashi tries by giving the bodyguards panels but I would rather be reading the characters I already know and see how they develop rather than read a bunch of opinions of fodder status characters. Since this series has a lot of hiatuses every panel should count and I feel like explaining the storyline with tiny details is distracting.

Overall, this arc feels more like a spin-off rather than a main plot. Then again, I thought the Chimera Ants arc felt like filler when watching the anime because it deviated from the main plot. :s It's like Togashi is going in so many directions rather than focus on one plot and have the subplots revolve around it.
Gon and Killua will return.We did have a colour chapter cover of them few chapters back.
 

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
3,750
Reaction score
1,477
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Gon and Killua will return.We did have a colour chapter cover of them few chapters back.
They very surely will, however, i dont think they will ever be the focus of the story again. They might play a bigger part in some future arc, but i cannot see them ever being the core of the manga again.
 

Reebi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 10, 2017
Messages
2,432
Reaction score
4,091
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I agree that the first part of hxh had its very core being gon and kil's friendship and adventures.
The other core part of it was how people use rules and environment to their advantage to get their goals. This arc is an insane excess of that.
I guess since Gon did crack in the Chimera Ant arc his sense of doing what's right has become tainted.


Gon and Killua will return.We did have a colour chapter cover of them few chapters back.
With the hiatus who knows when we will see them again :notrust
 

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
They very surely will, however, i dont think they will ever be the focus of the story again. They might play a bigger part in some future arc, but i cannot see them ever being the core of the manga again.
Yeah let's see when they reach the Dark continent.

I guess since Gon did crack in the Chimera Ant arc his sense of doing what's right has become tainted.




With the hiatus who knows when we will see them again :notrust
Hiatus is painful no doubt but I will take Hiatus over the manga falling in quality.NNT is the most recent example.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Btw didn't Togashi say he will return soon,I sense him returning either this month or May.
 

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
3,750
Reaction score
1,477
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Generally speaking, i dont think Togashi wants to return to a close friendship or other relationship dominating the events again. There will be close bonds and things like that obviously, but not s th like gon and kil's friendship that eclipsed most of the plot.

Their friendship was at the very forefront of the manga and if it was not about them, it was about people close to them that got inspired by gon (meruem kinda being the only real exception).

I think Togashi right now wants to focus on the big spectacle like in the Voyage arc. Being a small part of the whole with the whole being so overwhelming that it seems like a single person cannot really do a lot to control the tides anymore. That is what i think the DC will be.
 

Reebi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 10, 2017
Messages
2,432
Reaction score
4,091
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Yeah let's see when they reach the Dark continent.



Hiatus is painful no doubt but I will take Hiatus over the manga falling in quality.NNT is the most recent example.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Btw didn't Togashi say he will return soon,I sense him returning either this month or May.
Are you using Neon's fortunetelling ability? :lmao
 
Top