Discussion Do your parents watch anime?

fullmoon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 23, 2010
Messages
104
Reaction score
55
Gender
Female
Country
Vietnam
Do your parents watch anime?
Well, My parents said manga n anime is childish.
Even when I'm a child (11, I think..), I have to read Inuyasha inside a blanket with a flashlight so that my mum wouldn't recognize.
Laughing when ẹnoying manga/anime will be considered crazy in my house.

Much for the answer? :s
 

Gecko Moria

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2008
Messages
1,074
Reaction score
288
Gender
Male
Country
New Zealand
No, they think I'm wasting time watching anime and wasting money buying manga. But, interestingly, since I spend so much time on anime and manga they seem to have learned a some things about them (e.g. the boy can stretch like rubber is called Luffy :eyeroll) which is somewhat of a surprise to me since I never pay attention to what they're watching.
 

XxStrawberrySakura

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 28, 2012
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
United States
If it wasn't for my parents, I would never have been interested in anime and manga in the first place! My mom was a huge fan of Sailor Moon and used to talk about the series with her friends. She also watched Inuyas ha, Detective Conan, and Twelve Kingdoms. (The first two because of my brother and I; the second because she was a fan of the book.) On the other hand, my dad's not that interested in anime/manga.

My mom read a lot of retro mangas when she was younger such as Cyborg 009. The most recent title she read was Death Note. In fact she loved Death Note so much that she read it twice.
I love Sailor Moon, you mom sounds like me lol ^^ my parents say Im childish and I need to grow up but Im 19 I don't care lol I love the new sailor moon manga :D My only concern is when Im a parent I hope my kid doesn't think the same as my parents cause most likely Ill still watch anime and read manga when Im old lol maybe :)
 

MisaoFan

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 27, 2010
Messages
41
Reaction score
10
Age
30
Gender
Female
Country
France
Yeah, but my parents (and my elder sister) only watches old animes (70s-80s-ish), arabic programs, dramas, news and documentaries, but I and my second older sister (who also watches sitcoms) watches recent anime. I showed some of my anime I liked to my sisters, then said they liked it. However, my parents hate ******. When I watch anime that shows huge loads of fanservice like Yosuga no Sora, I hide with another webpage in order that my parents don't see when watching.
 
Last edited:

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
What a cool thread...well my parents aren't fans of what I do...I explained this entire phenomenon, and they understand what it is, it's just that they don't find it interesting enough I guess...my mom only watches television, because it helps her to go to sleep, and my dad watches news and sports...

I wonder though, what would've happened if I have gotten a lot earlier in this manga world, or maybe we had the manga culture more widespread here in the first place...I mean I watched Sailor Moon and my brother watched Pokemon, but it was counted as mere japanese cartoon...we had no idea what world is behind them
 

rudorofu

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2012
Messages
104
Reaction score
47
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Absolutely not. They're very closed in terms of knowing the trends and fads of this generation; quite traditional and close minded about most stuff too XD The only other family member who watches anime is my older sister.
 

HegemonKhan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
2,367
Reaction score
1,229
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think this entirely depends on how old (what generation) your parents-family-siblings (and thus you too) are, lol.

when you got parents who were around when there wasn't even tv at all... they either or both see anime as kiddish cartoons or filth (such as due to fan-service or adult topics, as again, to them any "cartoon" graphical medium, is a "cartoon" - a show for little kids to watch, and so having content that's for older ages disturbs them)...

They see the "cartoon" graphic medium of it, and ignorantly decide it's fr kids, refusing to actually watch and listen to it, or they do in denial, refusing to accept the sophicating, challenging, and provacative advanced and complex dialogue and content that makes you critically think just as much (actually more, lol) than other "grown-up" shows.
 
Last edited:

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
3,193
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fun Forum
Neither of my parents watch anime or have ever read manga. My mom knows what Totoro and Sailor Moon are because I was obsessed with them as a kid. Although she doesn't really know anything else about it. My dad... It just wouldn't fit his personality. XD He loved the show Teen Titans when my little sisters were obsessed with it because he thought it was funny, but that's not anime.

My little sister watched Death Note and really loved it. She loved Sailor Moon when we were kids and all, but she's not really into it. We love Yugioh and yugioh abridged though!!! XD I really have no idea about my youngest sister. My older sister used to read a little manga here and there, but I don't think she ever really got into it. Her husband really loves Bleach, so I'm sure she watches that from time to time.

As far as anyone in my family saying I waste my time with manga or anime, they don't. My family is very accepting for the most part because we're all pretty weird. I sit at the top of that pyramid though. My dad would probably think it was a little weird, but he doesn't live with me anymore and doesn't know me all the well to even know I like it. I never talk about anime or manga with my family though. Can't miss the DGM novels lying on my desk and floor though. :p
 
Last edited:

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
My mom is sometimes watching Detective Conan on TV with us and I have a feeling she's starting to enjoy it.
 

Enn

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2011
Messages
207
Reaction score
178
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
No, but I rembeer I once showed to my mother Slam Dunk and I think she has taken an interest in it.
 
Top