Archived - Does "working out" require weightlifting or is just cardio enough? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Archived Does "working out" require weightlifting or is just cardio enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, I need some opinions to settle a dispute at the lab here.

Alice: "I'm going to work out."
Me: "Cool, what're you gonna do?"
Alice: "Just run for about 30 minutes or so."
Me: "That's not 'working out.'

Who's right? Is it required that you do some kind of weightlifting in order to be able to say "working out" or does just running/jogging/biking count as "working out", too?

We're seeing a distinct divide by gender so far so I'm including that as part of the poll.

Yes, this is lame, but I'm bored :P

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Working out for males requires some kind of weights, by default males are meant to be more "physically active" traditionally and as such running for 30 minutes shouldn't get their heartrate into cardio territory, whereas working with weights would.

Females "traditionally" aren't as physically active, and as such would find a run for 30 minutes good enough to get their heart rate to cardio.

Also, you have to remember that weights tend to bulk you up, females don't necessarily want to bulk up in order to conform to our standards of beauty.
I answered the poll before looking at the post, but yes a female can work out by running for 30 minutes.

Males can work out by running as well, but in terms of cardio, unless they're out of shape that is neither enough time nor enough stress to get your heartrate up. I can run for 50 minutes and still not have my heart rate reach cardio, even if I get tired.

treetop430

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Cardio and strength training should be done with each other, to compliment what the other does not. I'm a female, and just because I do strength training, it does not necessarily mean that I want to "bulk up." I definitely don't (PLZ NO), however, I do need to tone myself and build endurance, and cardio will not "tone" me out. XD I usually alternate (cardio one day, strength the next...) even though cardio should be done daily anyway, but to really work out, I think, REGARDLESS of gender, is to do both.

If I lose a lot of weight doing cardio strictly, can you imagine the flab that would accompany? Grosss. So in conclusion: strength training + cardio = WIN!

abu_89

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
it's weight training if you're "pumping iron"; working out is just exercising so cardio counts as working out.

conan

Reaction score
Country
Jordan
the problem with weight lifting is it builds muscle mass, but it might get you in trouble when you grow a bit older that cardio doesnt, the joints, the joints are totally disregarded in most weightlifting systems, which means when you get to your fifties, your back and shoulders are going to be very painful and you might get joint diseases like artheritis, on the other hand cardio works your heart rate, breathing and isnt as bad as the joints.

to me they are both working out, but cardio has less percent of injury, if you really dont know which to choose, I would advise something new which is a mixture of both somewhat, its ver physical and similar to weight lifting, but it also trains everything cardio does and is actually good for your joints, its called russian kettlebell, the instructor who made it popular is pavel Tsatsouline if you can train under of any of his instructors, then youve really got the benefit of both.

and my direct answer to your question is cardio without weight lifting is a workout, and I am male.

Tanuki-dono

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

Okay, guys. This is what I consider to be a silly question. Of course "working out" is not limited to weight-lifting, even as a guy! If you're a cyclist, you "work out" when you're cycling - training for endurance. If you're a runner, you "work out" when you're running. It really depends on your body type and your specific training program.

work·out (wûrk'out') pronunciation
n.

1. A session of exercise or practice to improve fitness, as for athletic competition.
2. A strenuous test of ability and endurance.

That really says it all. Weight-lifting can be good for you, if you do it right. Naturally, the specifics for training will be different for guys and girls, due to the differences in stature and structure of our muscles. As a girl who lifted in high school, I warn all the other girls to get a good instructor - and for that matter, get your coaches checked out. High school coaches can be major idiots who make it up as they go. Going to a local YMCA or gym with credited instructors for advice is the way to go. Otherwise you might end up totally out of balance. Our weight program for HS sports was so bad, half the team wound up tearing stuff. Girls must have a balanced program, especially since the posterior muscles (hamstrings, trapezius, etc.) need specific exercises to be in balance. I tore my hamstring nearly in half because my quads were so out of balance (too strong) and I'm a naturally limber person whose hamstrings are naturally loose. My physical therapist was flabbergasted.

Your weight program really depends on how much free time you have on your hands. If I were perfect with all the time in the whole, I'd work out twice a day, two to three times a week. As it is, I only have time for once a day. My routine is varied between running, cycling, and weight-ligting. But the basic plan for someone would be to work cardio in the morning since that's when metabolism is high and weights in the afternoon/evening hours. I don't have that kind of time, so I do both in one session. Here, I start with my warmup (light jogging) and then follow with weightlifting and lastly, cardio (running).

Why? Glucose. When you work out, you need to make sure you have an adequate amount of glucose/stored carbohydrates. When you start with weights, your body uses the reserve glucose first, and you'll feel better by the time you get to cardio - your body will be ready to burn fat for energy when you run. On the other hand, starting with cardio would make you burn your reserve glucose first this way, and by the time your body has resorted to fat burning, you'll be lifting weights but you will be fatigued due to a lack of glucose and burn less fat. So you basically burn more fat with doing cardio last. Or that's the way it was explained to me. :D

You could also do cardio one day and weights on another, but you have to be careful or else you won't get enough recuperation between them and overtrain. Those of you who do endurance sports, like marathoning or biking would probably benefit from cardio workouts with weight lifting only in your spare time. When you train, you have to allow recup time. You must always have active recovery at the end of your workout, and then cool down. I won't go into lactic acid stuff, cause I think I'd bore you to tears. If you don't get enough rest, you could be setting yourself back. You must get enough sleep, have intervals between workouts, yadda yadda. You could probably look this up if you want specifics.

So, weight lifting isn't bad. It really won't make you bulk up as a girl if you do it right.
Weight lifting raises your metabolism, because -duh- muscle uses calories more than fat does. More muscles = more calories burned in general. Plus, muscles make you stronger and increase endurance. If you have lower back problems, working on your posture and your abdominals really helps (my older sister can tell you this). This "core strenghtening" naturally helps coordination and balance. Lastly, the pulling of the muscles on the bones strengthens them too - which is particularly good for us women.

A few things to remember:
Lift and lower slowly. I can't tell you how many times I see people going way too fast with their weights, with improper technique to boot! You shouldn't "swing" or use momentum to get the weights up. If that's the case, you've got too much. You want enough weight to have resistance, so achieving your rep goal is difficult by the end, but you don't want to sacrifice form.
Don't hold you breath. If you don't breathe, you're stressing yourself and possibly compromising your full range of motion throughout the movement. I have to really pay attention to my exhale, personally. It's easy for my to take deep breaths, but what I forget is exhaling, so I really blow my air out to keep the rhythm.
FORM. Make sure you're striaght and doing things correctly, Involve your abs in everything so you keep your balance and protect thy spine. I see guys doing squats and they're all hunched over at the waist and I just want to strap a belt to them. I like belts, especially in those kinds of exercises.

Hokay. I totally just spammed this thread. ;_;

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Easy guys. It's a language semantics issue, not what you should or shouldn't do. That always varies depending on your fitness goals :D

Tanuki-dono

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Easy guys. It's a language semantics issue, not what you should or shouldn't do. That always varies depending on your fitness goals :D
Aw, but it was so fun to type out. I wasn't trying to be edgy, just informative. :D

conan

Reaction score
Country
Jordan
Aw, but it was so fun to type out.
yeah I mean when you asked the question here what did you expect, I am bored over here , so I'll take it out on writing XD.
anyways if its about symantecs, then I guess there is no doubt that cardio or non weightlifting exercises can be called working out.

Tanuki-dono

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
yeah I mean when you asked the question here what did you expect, I am bored over here , so I'll take it out on writing XD.
anyways if its about symantecs, then I guess there is no doubt that cardio or non weightlifting exercises can be called working out.
Haha. True, true. It stands to reason, then, that we were pretty bored too! XD

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece
People that say females don't bulk up when they do weights are lying =/
One of my close friends is on a softball and basketball team and she NEVER works out because doing so has proven time and time again to make her arms look fat (her words)

She does cardio, she'll run/work out with extra weight on her, but she won't lift weights.

Very few women can work out with weights and not bulk up, they tend to get crazy guns and abs though.. and they tend to be really hot too.. ugh I hate my gym, so many hot girls.

And like I said, there are two types of exercises, one is losing weight which you can do with either running/lifting and the other is cardio, which REQUIRES you to reach a certain heart rate. And like I said, if you're in decent shape just running will not do that. Unless you're sprinting or something.

PaperYomiko

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I say you can be working out by only doing cardio. Personally, I think 'working out' is a very ambiguous phrase. Anyway, usually I go for a long run and do situps and (some...ok very few) pushups and for me that's working out. I hate using machines and stuff like that. Whether or not that's actually working out, I don't know, all I know is I'm in good shape and healthy and that's what matters to me :amuse

kadodo

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Haiti
Here is what I think. I myself do sports all the time and I have a pretty good physique. They will always ask me: " DO YOU WORK OUT?" When they say that, I'm sure they are asking me if I lift weights. So yes, working out has weightlifting in it.

I'm sure if a girl had some muscles, you would ask her: " DO YOU WORK OUT?" (also meaning if she lifts weight)

So I think you're right Hisshouburaiken about working has some weightlifting in it.

rhapsody blue

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
To me, working out means doing just cardio. Lifting weight tones your body. The type of exercise will determine what kind of muscle fibers are utilized, thus your body shape.

I've developed my workout plan according to what I've learned from my physiology and exercise classes. There are three types of muscle fibers:

1) Slow-oxidative
2) Fast-oxidative
3) Fast-glycolytic

Endurance or cardio workout will workout the oxidative fibers, resulting in an increase in the number of mitochodria and capillaries. The muscle fibers' diameters will decrease, leading to a decrease in muscle mass.

Isometric or weight lifting focuses on the glycolytic type and increase the concentration of contractile proteins in each muscle fiber. The diameter and length of each muscles will increase, resulting in a greater muscle mass. However, the problem will doing isometric exercises is the fact that one loses flexibility in your muscles which may not be a good thing down the road.

woody_green

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
My definition of 'working out' is walking 5 blocks to class. That's cardio, right?

Paper

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
working out is just another way of saying exercising...so basic cardio should be qualified as working out....personally i only do cardio when i work out....my doctor tells me that i should start off with cardio to lose my fats, then move on to weight training once i've lost weight since my bones are too weak to support weight training in my current state...

@woody- yes woody, that counts as cardio...lol...

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Cardio = a specific heartrate depending on age ie: 20 year olds = 180 bpm
Working out = stress on your heart; fat burning = 150 bpm, cardio = 180bpm

Walking to school is not a workout unless you live 2 miles from your school and have to walk through snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.