okay, I just read the chapters already scanlated and here is my opinion on the manga(it might be a little bit too long but...):
It is something like ES21 meets prince of tennis. The girl is a not-as-cool feminine version of Hiruma, while the captain is a slightly less...soseriousitisfunny version of Tezuka. This is good, since I like both pot and es21....
The only problem is, I REALLY, REALLY HATE BASKETBALL. No offense to anyone who likes it but, I just find it boring. Maybe this manga will change my opinion on it... The manga itself is....nice? . The art is(in my opinion) very good, the whole "Eyeshield drama" is there, making you wanting the main character to win and things like that...But is not as dramatic as ES21. And the characters that are supposed to be "teh strongest 111!!!1!" just don't have the same badass aura as, say, ANYONE from the prince of tennis. Talking about characters, they don't seem to be as cool as ANY of the ES21 characters.
Okay, this might not be the best comparison, but.... In ES21, we only see 4 characters in the beginning. Hiruma,Mamori,Kurita,and Sena. And we see just how awesome they are. In a less than 4 chapters, we are already waiting for Hiruma to be an ass to everyone again, and just love seeing him blackmailing people again and again, we are already waiting for Sena to be a coward.....The story has a VERY slow start, and yet it makes us want to keep reading the whole damn manga. By the time we see Monta, we already love(or hate) all the other characters. And by the time Monta joins the team, we already either love or hate him too. We see his personality, and everything.
Now, in dougashi...First chapter. We see a very,VERY cliched first page. A promise + giving something. Now that's original. We see a female hiruma right after we start reading,on the third or fourth page. She has an also cliched way of being introduced. Seriously, in mangas every single girl in the world seems to know martial arts. So, the main character has a hidden talent, yeah we figured, this happens in every sports manga. And then, after that, you start seeing the story about....3,4,10 characters? It doesn't.Even.Matter. NO ONE GIVES A DAMN. We don't even get to have an opinion on the main character until the story starts moving. We don't see his personality enough to hate or like him. If anything, you start hating him. We don't get to see him doing anything cool( like Sena protecting Mamori's phone number on es21) but we do see him acting like a loser. Seriously, crying because you didn't make into the team? My left arm still hurts after a car accident two years ago, and because of that I couldn't make into the tennis team during my first two high school years, and got surgery on this damn left arm two months ago hoping it will stop hurting like hell so I can play. And I love tennis a lot. And YET, I can't remember a single time I...Hell I can't remember a single time I saw ANYONE crying because they didn't make into a team. Then we get to see lots of characters...Do we get to have an opinion on them before the plot moves on? Nope. It just keeps going, and going, and having as much cliches as possible. The characters don't even seem to keep the same personality during the manga...The female Hiruma seems to slowly becoming an evil Mamori...And the evil part is questionable.
Basically my main problem with Dogashi isn't even the cliches. Hell, ES21 has TONS of them, and is one of the greatest mangas of all time. My problem is that this manga seems to think that you don't need to know the characters to like them. It doesn't work like that. If we don't know them, we couldn't care less if they quit the club or something.
....Sorry I was just going to say what I thought about the manga,but it turned into a rather long post.
Anyway, the manga can still improve....So I'm going to keep reading. But for now, it's just not good.