Shounen - Dolls by Naked Ape | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Dolls by Naked Ape

bax

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
I would like to promote a new manga for you guys who are searching for additional reading materials :amuse

Well, I present to you guys Dolls, by Naked Ape. Some of you guys might have read this series, and I recommend this as well. It's just on Volume 3 in Japan, and only 5 chapters scanlated at the time of writing, so might as well add this up into your folder ^^

Title : Dolls (ドールズ)
Mangaka : Naked Ape (Saki Otoh and Nakamura Tomomi)
Serialized by : Ichijinsa
Genre : Shounen, Action, Horror

Short summary:

In the 3rd Toutoh Empire, the excessive immigration led to an increase of violent crimes, and the government approved a law to expedite trials and alleviate the pressure on the overcrowded prisons: the Rationalization of Trials (RoT). With this law it is possible to hold trials without the suspect present, and the sentence is often the death penalty.

To enforce the law was then created a new special police unit, in charge of investigating and carrying out the execution: the Tokkei (特刑), abbreviation for Tokubetsu Shikeishikkou Keimukan Butai (特別死刑執行刑務官部隊, Official Unit for Punishment and Special Executions). The Tokkei, composed of 47 groups (units) of 3 people, soon became known for its brutality as a group of heartless assassins, almost only hollow shells without feelings, and commonly called the Dolls. Against them rose a terrorist group, the Doll Hunters, which opposes them but is as violent and brutal as them, if not worse.

Group Editing:

Volume 1, Chapter 001 to 005 -- Entropy

Download Sources:

#lurk on IRCHighway
● #lurk on IRC. Get the packet listings here

References: MangaUpdates & Wikipedia.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarmad

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Thx, I'll try it out ^^

flamecrysta

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
the Entropy website seems to be down right now, do you know if it's permanent? (god, please no) it it is, do you know where i can download the RAW or scanlated chapters of DOLLS? (from ch 9 up)

descendant

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
i wonder what is the status on this manga now
is it still ongoing? and how many volumes have been released?

i've read naked ape's other work, [switch] but up to volume 3 only since there's no more group doing the Edited Manga
it looks good but i have a weird feeling bout it since it's from naked ape.. which other pen name is acute girls.. that does shounen-ai and yaoi doujinshis
and i do sense some shounen-ai thingy plus most the characters are good looking guys

anyway.. i wonder if dolls is similar to [switch] since both are from the same mangaka
does it also have shounen-ai/yaoi scene in it?

sylvira

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I love this series. It's one of the really good ones. Thank you for supplying links!

Nami

Queen of The Damned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
i wonder what is the status on this manga now
is it still ongoing? and how many volumes have been released?

i've read naked ape's other work, [switch] but up to volume 3 only since there's no more group doing the Edited Manga
it looks good but i have a weird feeling bout it since it's from naked ape.. which other pen name is acute girls.. that does shounen-ai and yaoi doujinshis
and i do sense some shounen-ai thingy plus most the characters are good looking guys

anyway.. i wonder if dolls is similar to [switch] since both are from the same mangaka
does it also have shounen-ai/yaoi scene in it?

Dolls have been released up to Vol. 6 in japan, still ongoing. Compared to Switch, Dolls is a better read in terms of drama and cool factor. And I think you're right, this duo started off as some doujinshis artists before becoming full time mangakas. But there isn't much shonen ai in both series, unless you have been reading a lot of those genre and can't think straight :amuse

descendant

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Dolls have been released up to Vol. 6 in japan, still ongoing. Compared to Switch, Dolls is a better read in terms of drama and cool factor.
owh only volume 6?? that means switch has more.. but i think switch has better story line although the main character is not my type :p

And I think you're right, this duo started off as some doujinshis artists before becoming full time mangakas. But there isn't much shonen ai in both series, unless you have been reading a lot of those genre and can't think straight :amuse
becoz i've read too much of those genre that my shounen-ai detector seems to have detected it :D although it's just a slight hint of it.. especially in switch chapter...9

Avulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=4002

This was a promising series. Similar premise to Freesia, but a very different execution.

The Edited Mangas were disconnected early into the story, which I think is very unforunate. I would be glad to see a group pick it up again.

[nami] Merged ^^ [/nami]

Last edited by a moderator:

vada

Reaction score
Country
France
yea.. i agree. i'd like to read more of these..

kimberly

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I like is manga , very good story, and there are somany good looking guys especially the one with the long black hair, so cuuute.

Revilenigma

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It feels like "Freesia" mixed with "Dogs". When I saw the first coloured page of the 3 main characters I thought: "oh great... a Shōjo Freesia, lol".

Amzy

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Freesia, huh? Never read that, but just might look into it after this. I'm reading Dogs, though, and I enjoy it.

Can't say much about the story in this one yet because I've only read a few chapters, but the art is gorgeous. I'm hoping after all the character introductions are over, I'll get some juicy story development. I was kinda confused at the end of chapter 3 though with the Horiguchi case. Did anyone get that? What happened to Horiguchi? Did he really die?

cleodux

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Isn't this Josei? while the art is nice, i find the story is not strong enough for me to get interested. It just random missions and all, and although almost all characters are bishies, i really hate josei manga with only bishies. It just purely fanservice, nothing more.

Amzy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah...it's labeled differently everywhere, but it's most likely a josei. The magazine it's serialized in mostly publishes josei. It's pretty obvious that it was drawn by and for females. I think there are even undertones of shounen ai. Anyway, I read about one and a half volumes and the plot isn't really going anywhere. But I'll catch up to the Edited Mangas and see if it gets any better. If not, I'm dropping this.

Siberia

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Im interested in this series especially its artwork, btw, is it worthy giving it a try?

Revilenigma

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Im interested in this series especially its artwork, btw, is it worthy giving it a try?
I only read the first volume and I thought it's pretty good, not the deepest manga you'll ever read but still a fun read.

ketorin

Reaction score
Country
United States
this is an okay manga, but I think their other manga is better, [Switch] it has more of a plot, I would recommend that even more.

dokodemo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Re: [Josei] Dolls by Naked Ape

i hv to agree with many out there...
Naked Ape has a very strong arts background....
but their stories just doesn't come out strong enuf in comparison...:(
i've only read up to Vol. 3...but the darkness around the story and its characters are quite appealing to me so far tho...

Siberia

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong

Im on ch 17 now and Im wondering if the remaining chapters can be scanlated.

The artwork is great and the main leads have appealing personalities, but the stories are just ok coz Im not impressed by its plots so far. Btw, its still on my reading list and Im looking forward to reading more scanlated chapters.

mewtant_x

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

I began notice Naked Ape works when I watched Switch anime. Naked Ape mangas are definitely Josei, serialised in Zero-Sum a Shoujo/Josei manga magazine. The very high percentage of males characters is a sign of shonen-ai, I feel usually detected in their conversations.

The arts are really good, will get the illustration or art book if there is.