Shounen Double Arts by Komi Naoshi

Spineless Coward

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 14, 2008
Messages
12
Reaction score
4
Gender
Male
Country
France
You know what would have been a twist ? If instead of Kiri the author had put a 40-years old bald pervert old man. That would make this series awesome.

...Just kidding, I like it a lot, especially the art. Hope it gets serialized more than 20 chapters.
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
This seems like it could be quite good, and the plot seems very original. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
The Sisters aren't healers Koen...they take the virus into their own bodies because they have some sort of built in resistance to Troi from birth. They're sacrificial lambs really. Because of their resistance they are able to live exponentially longer than people who don't have the resistance, thus them being deemed "healers"...but they really aren't.

This is what I inferred from the first chapter however, I might end up being wrong.
That's why I said -> if you can call it that way

I know, I read the chapter well - they indeed take the virus into their body. Sacrifing themself and their lifespan all depending on their resistence
 

Zoe

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2006
Messages
252
Reaction score
104
Age
44
Gender
Female
Country
United States
The Luchile household is great :lol:
 

bunshindattebayo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2006
Messages
694
Reaction score
112
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Why is everytime I saw Kiri,the videogame Kingdom Hearts crossed my mind.Even though there's no similiarity between Kiri and Sora,but still the images of KH always come to my mind when I saw Kiri.

About the latest chapter,it's funny to see how short Kiri's mother is,and Elraine mistakes her as Kiri's younger sister.And Kiri's father is waaaaaaaaaay too tall.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,231
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Wow, another good chapter. I found the dynamic between the lumbering father and the dainty mother to be hilarious. Elraine might turn out to be an interesting main character, and I'm all for that. WSJ doesn't have many interesting female characters IMO.

My only concern is that I'm not sure how far this series can go. Once Kiri and Elraine get to the Cathedral then what? Maybe Komi intends for this to be a rather short series?
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Kiris family is really funny. A giant of a dad and a dwarf of a mother who could be his younger sister. I really liked chapter 2 more because things aren't rushed as many other shounen jump series. There's a plot and there's some pages for breathing. Though next chapter promises something bad and/or good


Why is everytime I saw Kiri,the videogame Kingdom Hearts crossed my mind.Even though there's no similiarity between Kiri and Sora,but still the images of KH always come to my mind when I saw Kiri.
I think it's got to do with the art. I am not a KH fan and never will be but I read it elsewhere from other people
 
Last edited:

go0dazrice

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 4, 2007
Messages
2
Reaction score
6
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Why is everytime I saw Kiri,the videogame Kingdom Hearts crossed my mind.Even though there's no similiarity between Kiri and Sora,but still the images of KH always come to my mind when I saw Kiri.
Haha! I feel the same way! Although i think kiri reminds me of KH becuz (in my opinion) he sort of looks like Roxas...or his hair style rather...or something...=_=. Plus like mentioned before the artwork is sort of similar...

Mmm it's a bit early to theorize but at the end of Chap 2 El was narrating it to Kiri in past tense...and that makes me wonder if something will happen to Kiri in the future.....? Obviously he's not a normal boy and i also wonder if those are his real parents...mm well i guess we'll find out in due time! ^^
 

barbapapa

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2005
Messages
1,189
Reaction score
127
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Chapter 2 was very good. I already feel myself getting hooked if the quality keeps up.
 

Zoe

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2006
Messages
252
Reaction score
104
Age
44
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Mmm it's a bit early to theorize but at the end of Chap 2 El was narrating it to Kiri in past tense...and that makes me wonder if something will happen to Kiri in the future.....? Obviously he's not a normal boy and i also wonder if those are his real parents...mm well i guess we'll find out in due time! ^^
I wouldn't look into that too deeply unless it becomes like a weekly thing. Kubo used that kind of narration a couple times in Bleach, but it was dropped quickly and we have yet to see anything come out of it.
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I wouldn't look into that too deeply unless it becomes like a weekly thing. Kubo used that kind of narration a couple times in Bleach, but it was dropped quickly and we have yet to see anything come out of it.
bleach is not really a good example for story telling (in fact, it's hard to find worst).
 

barbapapa

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2005
Messages
1,189
Reaction score
127
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Komi actually seems like a good storyteller, from these first chapters. Unlike Kubo.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
bleach is not really a good example for story telling (in fact, it's hard to find worst).
Komi actually seems like a good storyteller, from these first chapters. Unlike Kubo.

Okay you guys, don't shoot the messenger:
but you guys are right if you're talking about everything that happened after the SS arc. I also don't say before and during SS arc Kubo was great storyteller but it wasn't if there wasn't any storytelling in it
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
True, but Bleach is so overrated that I like to say bad things about it everytime i have the chance ... even if I do like bleach.

Anyway, I get back to double arts.
Don't you think that the art looks a lot like Full metal achemist ? Is the author also a woman ?
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Anyway, I get back to double arts.
Don't you think that the art looks a lot like Full metal achemist ? Is the author also a woman ?
I think the mangaka is a He (though I could be wrong and he could be a she)

anyway I am not the type of guy to say if some arts are similar unless it's really obvious eg fairy tail and one piece

Maybe if someone knew more about his background? Has he been an assistent of someone very known? Any influence?
 

Zoe

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2006
Messages
252
Reaction score
104
Age
44
Gender
Female
Country
United States
ANYWAY.

The point is, that's a common shonen device that usually doesn't resolve to much.
 

haya5h1

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Messages
620
Reaction score
247
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
I think this is my favorite of all the newcomers this year so far... although my first reaction was, what's a shoujo series doing in Jump?:XD
 

barbapapa

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2005
Messages
1,189
Reaction score
127
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
That's about the same age Yabuki Kentaro started as a mangaka (Black Cat, Yamato Gensoki, To-Love-Ru). Though his talents don't exactly lie in the creative area, to put it mildly.
 
Last edited:
Top