Shounen Double Arts by Komi Naoshi

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
That's about the same age Yabuki Kentaro started as a mangaka (Black Cat, Yamato Gensoki, To-Love-Ru). Though his talents don't rely lie in the creative area, to put it mildly.
Do you mean more: possibility to have talent storywise
 

kirimi

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Messages
1,602
Reaction score
3,206
Gender
Female
Country
Italy
Maybe if someone knew more about his background? Has he been an assistent of someone very known? Any influence?
Yeah, definitely a he. I posted a link in an earlier post to a news article that had a picture of him. (Click here if you're lazy to look back.)

He's also not from a mangaka assistant background. According to the news article, he was scouted by a number of magazine editors when he was still in art school (back in 2006). In particular, a Jump editor invited him to submit his work.

Komi-sensei's debut work, island, was entered into Jump's monthly newcomer's contest and was awarded the runner-up prize in the 39th Twelve Newcomers Manga Award (十二傑新人漫画賞) in June 2006. The judges had high praises for his talent.

In this competition, the entries are judged for their merit in a number of criteria, and the judging panel consists of a Jump editor and a currently publishing Jump mangaka. The mangaka who judged Komi-sensei's manga was Amano Akira-sensei (mangaka of Reborn). By the way, the first prize is 1 million yen, and the runner-up prize is 600,000yen. Nobody has ever won the first prize. And, in the 15 years since the competition started, only two people have ever won the runner-up prize. The other one is Matsui Yuusei-sensei (mangaka of Nougami Neuro).

Even now, Jump editors have high hopes for Komi-sensei. There you go. A little background. :)
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
By the way, the first prize is 1 million yen, and the runner-up prize is 600,000yen. Nobody has ever won the first prize. And, in the 15 years since the competition started, only two people have ever won the runner-up prize. The other one is Matsui Yuusei-sensei (mangaka of Nougami Neuro).
So this is a contest with a first prize and a runner up prize (like the second place). And nobody has ever won the first prize? :o strange people those japenese, so the runner up/2nde place can be considered as a winner :D
 

kirimi

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Messages
1,602
Reaction score
3,206
Gender
Female
Country
Italy
It's a contest of merit. Not a lucky draw. >_> Anyway, there are other prizes too. Iirc, there's a merit prize which is 100,000yen, and a qualifying prize which is 50,000yen. The only condition the contest have is, prizes MUST be awarded each month. So, it really depends on the quality of the work. And, they're all winners. :)
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
The author of Fairy tail and Rave master was even younger for his first success (21). Oda was 22 at the beginning of one piece.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
The author of Fairy tail and Rave master was even younger for his first success (21). Oda was 22 at the beginning of one piece.
For fairy tail I'll leave it in the middle, but Rave a success? It depends on what you call a success? But it certainly can't reach odas one piece and toriyamas dragonball/z success -> heck I got bored with Rave

but let's keep it on topic:
a question - do you guys think the story will stick to troy and its cure or do you think it might go to something else and faster than we think
 

Succubus

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2005
Messages
580
Reaction score
565
Gender
Male
Country
Genosha
yes, Rave is success in japan.. perhaps you stopped reading rave

---

what a kawaii couple~~ it's gonna my favorite manga & couple >_<

so Kiri is not perv! that is cool... cuz I am getting sick of most pervs in manga >_>

Dad is very taller o_o it reminds me alot of Robert Pershing Wadlow ( 8 feet 11.1 inches [2.72 m] )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Pershing_Wadlow

<_<;
 

barbapapa

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2005
Messages
1,189
Reaction score
127
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
For fairy tail I'll leave it in the middle, but Rave a success? It depends on what you call a success? But it certainly can't reach odas one piece and toriyamas dragonball/z success -> heck I got bored with Rave

but let's keep it on topic:
a question - do you guys think the story will stick to troy and its cure or do you think it might go to something else and faster than we think
A manga doesn't run for 35 volumes, and not be a success ;)
Not to say that it is a juggernaut like One Piece or Dragonball. But in Japan, it sold pretty well.

@ kirimi: that's some interesting info, thanks! I know I'm rooting for Komi as well now.
 

JioFreed666

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2006
Messages
577
Reaction score
5
Gender
Male
Country
United States
OMFG is anybody actually reading the second chapter and noticing that dude's mom is a loli and dude's dad is a freaking gaint like Shaq tall....and I'm wondering how they even got to that point in their relationship even have sex let alone have a normal sized kid
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
OMFG is anybody actually reading the second chapter and noticing that dude's mom is a loli and dude's dad is a freaking gaint like Shaq tall
Be sure everyone who read the chapter will have seen the size difference unless some blind people read manga (ah I shouldn't laugh with the blind one

....and I'm wondering how they even got to that point in their relationship even have sex let alone have a normal sized kid
Well it is said: size doesn't matter :D
 

haya5h1

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Messages
620
Reaction score
247
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
Given what we know now about Komi-sensei, Kiri's something of a Mary Sue, isn't he?:jk An artistically talented, good-looking, kind, decent young man who's the only person in the world immune to the killer disease, and "forced" to hold hands forever with a cute and nice girl OR ELSE SHE DIES HORRIBLY.:XD

Still, I'm definitely rooting for this one to succeed. It's got beautiful art, great characters, original concept (for JUMP), and it's not as cookiecutter as the other new series have been. As for where it could go, well...the upcoming road trip seems straightforward enough, with the Gazellen assassins after them. Another unlikely possibility is harem comedy - like, if Kiri turns out to be able to save every Troy-infected Sister, but they all have to be touching him to be safe. hijinks ensue.:sarc
 

JioFreed666

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2006
Messages
577
Reaction score
5
Gender
Male
Country
United States
it's spelled Troi in the translation I read and sounds better then some city in the roman empire alittle more original and looks more like a disease
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
it's spelled Troi in the translation I read and sounds better then some city in the roman empire alittle more original and looks more like a disease
don't you confuse the roman with the greek empire?
 

haya5h1

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Messages
620
Reaction score
247
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
it's spelled Troi in the translation I read and sounds better then some city in the roman empire alittle more original and looks more like a disease
I suppose some cultures would consider Lwaxana Troi a terminal infection [/trekkie]:XD but until Komi-sensei provides the official romaji, it's anyone's guess. I bet he will soon since he cleared up Luchile fairly quickly.
 

JioFreed666

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2006
Messages
577
Reaction score
5
Gender
Male
Country
United States
don't you confuse the roman with the greek empire?
where's rome located? greece........and it was during both roman and greek empires when "a" troy was under control because there have been NINE cities of troy
Troy IX is the roman empire troy the famous one that was found by the roman emperor Augustus Caesar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy


I suppose some cultures would consider Lwaxana Troi a terminal infection [/trekkie]:XD but until Komi-sensei provides the official romaji, it's anyone's guess. I bet he will soon since he cleared up Luchile fairly quickly.
Troi is not such a default name kind of like the whole Naruto thing about Pain/Pein.(I like Pein because even thought it's probably pain it sounds better with Pein) But it would make sense if it was Troy, because as I said there have been NINE city of troys most have disappered without a trace until people dug them up
 
Last edited:

Muddy

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
225
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Country
United States
where's rome located? greece........
First I heard. All the maps and globes I've seen and people I've met say it's in Italy.

Anyway, I read chapters 1 and 2 today and am very, very impressed. What an ambitious way to kick off a series. It's excellent all around - story, plot, character interactions - and has loads of potential. The pacing is exceptional, too - this mangaka really has a feel for chapter structure.

Does anyone else think this was inspired at least partly by Eureka Seven? Elle reminds me of Eureka, and though it's obviously employed differently there's the whole hand-holding thing (which made me think of Eureka the first time I saw a promo ad for this series): Like here
 

JioFreed666

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2006
Messages
577
Reaction score
5
Gender
Male
Country
United States
First I heard. All the maps and globes I've seen and people I've met say it's in Italy.

Anyway, I read chapters 1 and 2 today and am very, very impressed. What an ambitious way to kick off a series. It's excellent all around - story, plot, character interactions - and has loads of potential. The pacing is exceptional, too - this mangaka really has a feel for chapter structure.

Does anyone else think this was inspired at least partly by Eureka Seven? Elle reminds me of Eureka, and though it's obviously employed differently there's the whole hand-holding thing (which made me think of Eureka the first time I saw a promo ad for this series): Like here
Greece was much larger in it's glory time before Italy was a country Greece use to be almost half of Italy and was even before even Italy was made and how Eureka 7 anyway like this beside the girl and boy relationship I doubt this girl is part of some special race she was just genetically lucky but still human

if you click here all the red on that map are Greek colonies
 
Last edited:

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Greece was much larger in it's glory time before Italy was a country Greece use to be almost half of Italy and was even before even Italy was made and how Eureka 7 anyway like this beside the girl and boy relationship I doubt this girl is part of some special race she was just genetically lucky but still human

if you click here all the red on that map are Greek colonies
Just one time off topic and won't go any further: but don't put the greek and roman empire on the same line. First was the greek, then came roman empire. Athens was the center of greek and rome was center of the roman empire (and rome is part of italy as for the roman empire). Rome (though I doubt that since the green and red on the other map of italy doesn't consist of its centered lied rome + Rome wasn't the rome of the roman empire) and troy have been maybe part of the roman and greek empire but rome its famous history lies within roman empire and troys famous history (and I don't care about only the last of IX troys) in greek empire

back on topic: double arts is a great manga but I still wonder which way the plot will progress. Can't wait for this weeks chapter
 
Last edited:

JioFreed666

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2006
Messages
577
Reaction score
5
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just one time off topic and won't go any further: but don't put the greek and roman empire on the same line. First was the greek, then came roman empire. Athens was the center of greek and rome was center of the roman empire (and rome is part of italy as for the roman empire). Rome (though I doubt that since the green and red on the other map of italy doesn't consist of its centered lied rome + Rome wasn't the rome of the roman empire) and troy have been maybe part of the roman and greek empire but rome its famous history lies within roman empire and troys famous history (and I don't care about only the last of IX troys) in greek empire

back on topic: double arts is a great manga but I still wonder which way the plot will progress. Can't wait for this weeks chapter
dude you got that order reversed it was Greek then roman but yeah back on topic

me neither on the chapter and I will never be able to to figure how his parents got and got that far as to have a child
 

haya5h1

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Messages
620
Reaction score
247
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
Why is everybody so taken aback by the size difference of Kiri's parents? :XD If love works, it works.:3

who knows, that might have been how Kiri ended up with his immunity to トロイ (not gonna start up that whole argument again:P)
 
Top