Well, the people who disappear with Troi...maybe they don't really disappear, but
go somewhere? Or maybe they turn into or are used for some kind of "fuel" or "energy" for the Gazelle.
...And I'm kinda wondering why they're called the Gazelle. I mean, I keep thinking of the gazelle animal. And...seriously, is there ANYTHING linking them to the animal? Are there some sort of Japanese myths with them? ...Are they actually named for the gazelle animal, or did the Japanese just happen to come out that way? Uh, can someone tell me this?
ETA:
Kioras said:
I also thought about the amount of people who died from the disease over 600 years, 1 billion, and that amount of death seems a rather low rate for such a deadly disease.
Well, if we take 1 billion to be 10^12, and the Black Plague to have a 75 million death count (over the course of a few centuries), 10^12/75000000 = 13333, so Troi would actually be significantly more deadly than the bubonic plague. It depends on if we're on the long scale or the short scale though, 1 billion could also mean 10^9, which 10^9/75000000 = 13.33, so. *shrugs* (Also, I'm using the total death count of the Black Death over a couple centuries, not over a single year.)