Hangout - Dr. Stone Hangout Thread | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hangout Dr. Stone Hangout Thread

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
So far so good.

I also think a plot twist is coming but I'm keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't start leaning excessively dark or weird. Seems like nine of ten mangas like this end up doing that.

Hermit

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
http://mangastream.com/r/dr_stone/002/4084/1
^Second chapter is out
And wow, haha, this chapter reminded me why Chemistry was my favorite Science in high school :XD Brewing ethanol was the bane of my existence in high school :pleased
Or well, my classmates existence. I just liked watching them getting in trouble for their experiments :fan
Combining nitric acid with ethanol was pretty creative though, at first I expected the bird to melt, dissolve from the nitric acid, isn't acid supposed to dissolve stone? I could be mixing up stuff here.
Also getting salt from sea water :occa
AND FRACTIONAL DISTILLATION TOO?:wtf
When we get to titration my friends :hurr
Aside from that, the ending with the girl makes me think they won't succeed for some odd reason, I'm all for happy endings and romance but I don't think it will be as easy as it's being made out to look, I expect either an opponent to show up, or the dissolving not to work for some reason, maybe the petrification on humans is more complex than the one on animals?
Worst case scenario they revive her but she died already, or she's brain dead/a vegetable.:waah

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Average chapter, I wonder what the author is planning. It's not there yet, but I think I'll find Taiju annoying if he keeps acting like this all the time.

Shobu_Yoruichi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Chile
I usually never give chances to WSJ upstarters... but with Es21's author on it and Boichi's connections, it would be no less than a good nourishment for my knowledge.

Good so far, the main's personality are settled and now plot can begins smoothly.

Akainu

Magma♥
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
Experienced writer and an outstanding artist aside, I don't think this manga will go anywhere. It does of course need time to develop, but it seems overly empty. We have 3 named characters so far, 4 if you want to include the celebrity highschooler. And a setting that doesn't give any urgency. They had a year (or half a year) time to produce a solution and not once ran into a hardship. The brute is strong enough and the brainiac intelligent enough. There are no feral beasts around, even winter is not much of a hazard.
I don't think there should be any fear of this turning any darker than the apocalypse already is. Depending on their success in reviving the love interest, I think this is headed into the direction of a romantic comedy with some scientific elements. At least those were interesting and in telling the readers, many of them children/youths, how to produce alcohol, even a little controversial.
Lastly, I don't get why Mr. Know-it-all doesn't advocate moving petrified people (in)to the bat poop cave. It woke them up, might work with others without much else necessary. Guess it wouldn't drive the story. I hope the girl will.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Experienced writer and an outstanding artist aside, I don't think this manga will go anywhere. It does of course need time to develop, but it seems overly empty. We have 3 named characters so far, 4 if you want to include the celebrity highschooler. And a setting that doesn't give any urgency. They had a year (or half a year) time to produce a solution and not once ran into a hardship. The brute is strong enough and the brainiac intelligent enough. There are no feral beasts around, even winter is not much of a hazard.
I don't think there should be any fear of this turning any darker than the apocalypse already is. Depending on their success in reviving the love interest, I think this is headed into the direction of a romantic comedy with some scientific elements. At least those were interesting and in telling the readers, many of them children/youths, how to produce alcohol, even a little controversial.
Lastly, I don't get why Mr. Know-it-all doesn't advocate moving petrified people (in)to the bat poop cave. It woke them up, might work with others without much else necessary. Guess it wouldn't drive the story. I hope the girl will.
I could definitely see it turning out that way and I agree that something is still missing.

That having been said, if it's going to start being them going around trying to find and wake up more people while surviving and trying to figure out what happened to the world that could be pretty interesting. I do like the Swiss Family Robinson elements it's got going with it's survivalist twists. There is an appeal there.

The characters and something to drive them is really where it's going to have to start showing more and right now I'm optimistic that it will. It obviously can't just be these two guys for long. For one thing they don't have a straight man and they are both written like characters that need one of those. And it definitely needs a threat. Which has got to be coming. It's just got to be.

milek

Reaction score
Country
Serbia
Nice new manga. I love it how 2017 started.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
The chapter was nice.Lot of science teachings and especially the nitric acid part.

But i think with chapter's increasing it will grow even better in quality.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Unforgivable... Awakening the muscle man before the attractive girl is UNFORGIVABLE!

Kato756

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Man that introduction to the beast-high scholler was AWESOME. Filled my much needed Toriko´s Hype Meter

But I gotta agree something is missing, and that is, as mentioned, a sense of urgency or finality.

Some mangas like Naruto and OP give their protags very definitive goals that have and " (IE Hokage/Pirate King), or other give a by-arc urgency, like Rukia´s execution in Bleach...

I have hope, but I feel they need to give some aswers (or trow more mysterys) soon, or they will get canceled

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
The chapter was well i should say good.The lions being defeated seems something extraordinary.

But i wonder if the girl is going to be revived soon.

Akainu

Magma♥
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
And now we completely ran out of named characters. I didn't think the fighter would come into play that fast, but it makes sense. I don't think it will take long for the girl to come back, but unless they find other females, Taiju got some competition. And there's one more person to feed. But I assume Senkuu already thought about this too.

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Chapter 3 was great! Beast high schooler really is impressive :hurr but he's probably going to be a villain. Not sure how a villain works in this setting where there aren't many people or much of anything, unless he steals the "cure" and crowns himself king of this new stone age. As for the girl, I hope it doesn't turn into a running gag where every time it's her turn to be revived, a new situation arises where they need a specific person so she has to take a backseat. That would be a bit stale imo. But although I agree with there being something missing on a whole, I also sense it's building up to something good or at least interesting. Just 3 chapters in so I expect by 5 or 6 we will finally get some sort of direction. I'm hopeful anyway.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
That new guy seems like villain material, plus that line, "He's too strong", seems like foreshadowing for when the two of them later on face against him and fail to beat him.
Although the reasoning behind those first few pages of not freeing Yuzuriha was a little pointless honestly :-_-

Knight of Stalwart Heart

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
It seems that the lines on their faces and torso (atleast in Shishiou's case) coincide with the first cracks of the shell they were enclosed in.Is it because of some power which is related to those lines that Senku and Taiju broke free? For some reason,Shishiou couldn't break free close to when Senku and Taiju did.I guess,the solution that they prepared acted as a catalyst and hastened the process of his shell cracking open.Who knows,he might've gotten out after a little more time even if they didn't drop that solution on him.

What actually are those lines? Well,I think they might've awakened some bullshit power loosely based on some scientific phenomenon and those lines are a representation that they have that power.I mean,this is a Sci-Fi manga so I think such a thing is within the boundaries of the genre.I also think humans with those lines are the only ones who can resist turned to 'stone' inside out and break open,and the solution only hastens the process of cracking open the shell.Because I just don't see helping other humans to be this simple of a thing.It's only the third chapter and they already have the answer? I mean,yeah they did do some trail and error but that still doesn't give me enough of a sense of struggle.

Anyway,I'd like to see where this manga goes.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Things are going too smoothly, there will be a twist for sure, curious to know what it'll be.

I found chapter 3 rather boring. They talked a little, lions appeared and the primate guy got freed to fight.

Shobu_Yoruichi

Reaction score
Country
Chile
What a hard punch of fantasy chapter 3 was! I was getting used to science D:

A guy able to throw lions like stones, thrilled. But according with the manga's title.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Chapter 4 is out.

Tsukasa could become an antagonist after all. What is the fourth use? For weaponry?

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm already bored of this manga :D

I hope it picks up soon. So far I can only see the blade of the Axe...

Kato756

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Awn man, I really liked Tsukasa, did not want him to become a antagonist...