Seinen Drifters by Hirano Kouta

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,332
Reaction score
24,940
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Bronze could easily refer to the color though. It is not necessarily a metalic thing, we could still and probably will have the red, blue, black dragons and so on each with a distinct property.

Just went through all the chapters and it seems the elves and dwarfs are indeed refered to as demihumans. I would think that alone is enough for the dark king to throw them in with normal humans.

I do wonder how exactly is it that they are going to win the war against the dark king though. At the moment the gang is taking over a seemingly already destroyed country however as of now the dark king already has a mighty army of creatures capable of fighting. Perhaps the issue will be the sheer dependance on the dark king? They have unlimited supplies and a number of other things thanks to his power however as we just saw the dark king can't actually be everywhere. Perhaps the key to defeating his army is to attack places where he is not at. Defeating the army of the dark king with him being there would be impossible as soldiers could go back to the battlefield in an instant and food and wood would never run out for his side however if he is attacked in locations where he is currently not at the he has a severe weakness. Can the monsters fight without him being there?
 

Rikudou King

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2009
Messages
11,640
Reaction score
6,369
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I suppose so, but given the numerous basic colors available, it seems weird.

Given what we saw of their battle at that northern fort, the main force itself isn't all that dangerous on their own, no more then any large army. Seems like the Offscourings were the ones who were doing the major damage. And of course, we saw the effects guns had against them. As for the Dark King, I was thinking Ame no Seimei would probably counter him, given his reputed magical abilities. Should allow the odds to be evened out for the eventual battle later on.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,332
Reaction score
24,940
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
I don't think abe no semei can hold a candle here so far. Didn't he say his strength lied in divination and something else? He doesn't strike me as being as powerful as the dark king so far. The dark king has the actual ability to just give people cancer as we just saw.... If semie could actually do something that significant then he wouldn't have allowed that one nation to fall mere chapters back.

The offscouring are without a doubt important however I don't think we have enough to suggest that them alone made the battle. The dark king has thousands upon thousands of soldiers. they have aerial creatures and a number of other things.
 

Rikudou King

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2009
Messages
11,640
Reaction score
6,369
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Divination and magic arts. Weren't Onmyoji's known for healing too. Anyway, seeing as how the Dark King has stayed back from battle too, I would say they're probably about even. The whole problem with using healing abilities offensively is that they require physical contact, limiting who it could be used against at one time.

Well considering those at the northern fort had seeming kept them at bay for centuries, the forces themselves don't appear stronger then any other. And as mentioned by Oda, the introduction of the Gatling Gun changes the whole battlefield. Since they're on their way to manufacturing their own guns, numbers won't mean much when they finish. The wyverns are probably on par with the offscouring.
 
Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,332
Reaction score
24,940
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Wasn't there supposed to be a chapter by now? According to chapter 33 next issue was supposed to be on sale on november 30. Any news on this?
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,332
Reaction score
24,940
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Bump!
http://raw.senmanga.com/Drifters/34/1/

Raw for the chapter is out, hope someone cares (and hope a translation is released soon)... It seems very interesting although I would love to know the finer details.
 

Rikudou King

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2009
Messages
11,640
Reaction score
6,369
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Real interested in the conversation between Anastasia and Rasputin, and what's going on with the bronze dragon. Can predict what's going on between Nobunaga and the dwarfs.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,332
Reaction score
24,940
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
I am surprised that jeane was rescued. I didn't think the offscouring would be caring in the least. It does seem like jeane will come back with a vengeance. For some reason I expected her to lose her fire based powers though. She seemed to have found some level of redemption when she fell to the well, I thought remembering some of her humanity would take away her inhuman abilities.

I am surprised that anastasia seemed to have a superior/condescending attitude towards jeane. She was just a princess in her life, I did not expect her to have something to say to someone who was an actual warrior.

No clue on what the conversation between rasputing and anastasia.

As for the dragon, I kinda expected the black king to heal him. It does seem like he intends for it to suffer though. Anyways, from what I gather they intend to cut off the tumors around the dragon. Dragon tumor burgers? I am guessing that once the black king deems the dragon has suffered enough he will restore it to its former glory. Perhaps keeping the dragon like that is simply a more efficient way of subjugating his kin though.

As for the dwarfs, they do seem interested in the mechanism of the gun. Perhaps they are one step away from figuring out mass production? Overall the black king has a logistic advantage over the other side. They have no need for food and resources are at large unlimited. Perhaps to offset that the other side will come up with actual technology. They have guns and gunpowder, they just need the means to produce them. The dwarfs can figure out how to make them but even if they do that they need a way to mass produce them. Perhaps the knowledge the other drifters have of the future (mainly, things are made in factories) will set them on the right track towards mass production. It might not sound like much but if they do figure out mass production they could take out entire battalions of what the dark king has with relatively few troops. In the end the dark king does not seem to have power over metal so far so perhaps that will be a resource which the drifters will be able to exploit better than the dark king and his lazy non existent need for logistics or supply chain management.
 

Tobi Uchiha

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2007
Messages
331
Reaction score
258
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
I started reading Drifters 2 weeks ago and it quickly has become one of my top 10 favorite mangas. bought the 2 volumes (has been quite a while since i last actually bought a manga, shame on me!) and i love it.

While waiting for the next chapter (thinking if i should start Editing it :derp ), i found this:

http://www.vingle.net/posts/92879-Kouta-HIrano-s-new-series-Drifters-animated

It seems that we are lucky and are getting our drifters-anime, even though it was quite obvious before due to the last hellsing OVA. but still, really happy and looking forward to it!
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,332
Reaction score
24,940
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
chapter 35 out? But we don't even have a translation of chapter 34 yet.... Does anyone have that chapter?
 

B'arzz

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2011
Messages
210
Reaction score
192
Gender
Male
Country
Colombia
chapter 35 out? But we don't even have a translation of chapter 34 yet.... Does anyone have that chapter?
There is none.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,332
Reaction score
24,940
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Finally chapter 34 is out.... nice chapter although nothing much was said which we would be unable to infer from the raw. I am kinda surprised the dark king went that way with the dragon. I guess free meat is good for armies but how good can it be to feed them cancerous dragon? I wonder if the dark king will ever forgive the dragon for that matter... he already kinda submitted.

It seems the drifters will be getting their guns even sooner than expected, it does not seem as if muskets where that complicated to begin with. The dwarfs are expert blacksmith so perhaps they might even make some improvements there. The combination of elves and muskets is bound to be remarkable in the future too, perhaps that will be one of the more interesting developments later on. I also wonder how they plan on integrating dwarfs with new technology.... Dwarfs are strong and resilient, what could they specially benefit from? Perhaps they could carry Gatling guns in a more convenient way? They wouldn't have to even aim with one of those anyways.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,332
Reaction score
24,940
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Well, finally, I am so glad someone took the time to do this. Most appreciated.

Anyways, it was definitely a cool chapter. I am still somewhat surprised the dwarfs recovered so fast from the months and perhaps years of concentration camp. Truly a race with incredible endurance although that is to be expected and perhaps cliche.

As for the amount of riffles the dwarfs can produce, I am surprised it sounds like that much to begin with. Ten riffles per day would get them a mere 300 riffles in a month which does not sound like much at all. Perhaps their armies are not all beefed enough to actually have need for more though. Perhaps I am being somewhat harsh though. Mass production of things was not invented until well after nobunaga's time so perhaps those 10 riffles a day are an exceptionally high number. As for mass production, I wonder if they will ever get to that detail. The black king has his life magic at his disposal however mass production of weapons could easily offset that power considering the black king has no actual technology on his side. I wonder how much it would take the dwarfs to make machine guns. Thats a tad more advance than what nobunaga has shown them so far so perhaps it is actually beyond them. Muskets work for his armies because bullets are simple lead balls, for the machine gun they would need to standardize production of very small parts.

I am surprised nobunaga was so quick to look down on the dwarfs without asking how much it would take them to build those 10 riffles.

As for germain's offer, I am inclined to thinking it will be outright refused. It would grant them easy access to the country however in turn they would have to keep saint germain with them. Nobunaga and toyohisa to begin with are not currently kings or anything of the sort, they simply handle the militaristic aspect of the fights and the races manage themselves. How would saint germain fit in there? More so, if saint germain is there then it is likely the other races won't be too happy with him... I also wonder when are the drifters recruiting humans. Humans are basically the next race the drifters should go for if their army is to make sense. With elves and dwarfs they already have a pretty standard range-melee combination however one way or another in this manga what humans have is knowledge and versatility. They do not seem to excel at anything like dwarfs and elves do however they are also not actually bad at anything either. I guess they already have a human doing their accounting though....
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,332
Reaction score
24,940
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
The raws for chapter 36 and 37 are out. Any clues on when a Edited Manga would be out? Was this manga dropped? I could do with just a translation....
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,332
Reaction score
24,940
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
CHapter 38 is out!

I like where the story is heading... It is a bit weird that everyone is playing aizen so flawlessly though. We have the first guys saying they will destroy if they can't conquer and then the other party prepares for them destroying and not conquering... I get the impression this is the sort of thing that should be obvious in hindsight more than at a thought. I guess they will call it experience.

Anyways, when I first read about saint germain's army I expected something along the lines of the newkama from OP lol. In turn it they turned out to be more like from the 300 movie.... I am a bit surprised they were made into gunmen though. They seem more fit to wield swords and other close range weapons. I would have thought the elves would be the ideal party for to give the guns to. I can't wait to see what the dwarf shotguns can do... They are more like cannons.

Seeing everything it still seems like the drifters have the strategic advantage. In the end it will come down to the drifters taking out the offcouring though. Hopefully next chapter will be out soon, I had missed this manga.
 

King Ashram

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 16, 2014
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I was lurking and saw a thread for this manga and couldn't resist signing up to post. I loved Hellsing, and this manga is certainly looking to be quite juicy. I did want to comment on the differences between drifters and offscourings. I'm pretty sure that drifters were snatched on the brink on of death where as offscourings have basically been raised from the dead. I also find the offscourings abilities have a lot to do with what they were famous for and/or the manner in which they died (maybe the answer lies in what history/myth says for sensationalist value).

Anywho, cheers! Look forward to seeing how this plays out.
 
Top