Typesetting Dumb question: capitals only in scans?

student_sol

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 10, 2009
Messages
37
Reaction score
6
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
I've just realized (after years of reading manga scans -_-;;)

that I've never seen any scans using lower case at all....

can anyone tell me why??
 

[Ju-Ni]Vicissitude

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2007
Messages
128
Reaction score
119
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Because you're making assumptions? A lot of groups use fonts similar to Anime Ace or WildWords. Those fonts only have SLIGHT variations between capital and lower-case letters. Trust me, they're using lower case, even if you can't tell right off the bat.
 

student_sol

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 10, 2009
Messages
37
Reaction score
6
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
[Ju-Ni]Vicissitude;1579857 said:
Because you're making assumptions? A lot of groups use fonts similar to Anime Ace or WildWords. Those fonts only have SLIGHT variations between capital and lower-case letters. Trust me, they're using lower case, even if you can't tell right off the bat.
Oooh so there are scans which use lower case letters...

I was just wondering cos every scan I've read so far (which isn't a lot)

seem to use capitals only.

So there's nothing wrong with using lower case letters?
 
Last edited:

L0ki

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2009
Messages
336
Reaction score
101
Gender
Hidden
Country
Argentina
I have the all caps button activated most of the time (there's an option on ps that forces the output text to become all caps, even if you're copying strings with lower case letters which is generally the case), but like it was said, it's a matter of taste...
 
Last edited:

Nomad Soul

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2006
Messages
55
Reaction score
109
Gender
Hidden
Country
Antarctica
Most comic lettering fonts are all caps because that's how the hand letterers did it in the pre-digital age. It's since become a natural part of the "comic book look." People simply expect the dialogs in a comic to be lettered that way.

That doesn't mean you can't use lowercase fonts. There are a few cases, like Soil, where the relatively small speech bubbles and "rigid" artwork might be better served by such a font.

You could also combine both type of fonts by using the lowercase font for whispering and non-verbal vocalizations like "uh," "heh," "umm," etc. It makes the dialogs livelier and more fun to read.

I'd like to think that choosing a font for a manga is more than just a question of taste/preference. A good letterer chooses fonts that suit the manga's artwork and don't distract the reader too much. Make no mistake, bad font choices are more likely to ruin the reading experience than a bad translation.

For more information on this topic, I strongly recommend this guide by Nate Piekos (of Blambot fame). Every typesetter who takes his/her job seriously should at least be familiar with the rules and conventions described here.
 
Last edited:

student_sol

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 10, 2009
Messages
37
Reaction score
6
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Here's one example of a scan that clearly uses lower case letters:
http://mangahelpers.com/s/kotonoha/readonline/51967/8?t=1253385304

I don't think there's anything wrong with using lower case. It's just a matter of choice/taste.
First time I've seen scan using lower case letters!

(Or maybe I just haven't noticed it before, like [Ju-Ni]Vicissitude said)

Thanks Meriken.




I have the all caps button activated most of the time (there's an option on ps that forces the output text to become all caps, even if you're copying strings with lower case letters which is generally the case), but like it was said, it's a matter of taste...
Hmm so does that mean capitals just look better to most people?

I can't see why though, maybe cos I'm no good with fonts and all XD




Thanks Nomad Soul. So that's the story behind using capitals a lot...

That doesn't mean you can't use lowercase fonts. There are a few cases, like Soil, where the relatively small speech bubbles and "rigid" artwork might be better served by such a font.
So there are instances where lower case will be more suitable?

I'm the kind of guy who has to ask my sister which fonts look better,

so it's unlikely that I'll ever be able to tell when lowercase will look better or not anyway ^^

and thanks for the link, finally some guidelines on fonts and lettering!
 
Last edited:

L0ki

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2009
Messages
336
Reaction score
101
Gender
Hidden
Country
Argentina

Name-Undecided

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
91
Reaction score
8
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I think I've done all my scanslations in lower-case so far. Every time I start one I plan to use upper case, but the lower-case always seems to fit better, especially when you're doing a series with small or oddly-shaped bubbles. It all boils down to the editor's choice in the end.
 
Top