Miscellaneous Ellipsis or Em Dash?

Bizkit

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 4, 2013
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hey, I have a proofreading question.

When there is hesitation in the middle of word, should you use an ellipsis or em dash? I've seen it done both ways. Examples:

O...kay
O--kay

I've already asked my Edited Manga team about it, but I wanted to know what you guys think.
 

Gradonil_Ral

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2008
Messages
170
Reaction score
63
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
If you want to split the word without repeating it then it's Em Dash, otherwise it's Ellipsis.
In other words:
O--kay or O... Okay

Well, I think you can also use Em Dash (or a normal dash for that matter - it's not like many comic fonts can differentiate anyways) for a "repeating" word, but only if you want the pause to be much shorter.
O-Okay
 
Top