Shounen - Enigma by Sakaki Kenji | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

Zatono

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: [NEW] Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

I'm sure the delinquent ghetto-wannabe will have some kind of power based ability, but I'm hoping not. As for the genre of the manga, it's really refreshing to read something like this in comparison to the usual lineup of manga.

Foundway

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Yeah chapter 4 looked promising, nice abilities, 4 talents to go. Additionaly Enigma has nice mystery/suspense elements. Great.

Asarii

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada

What's keeping me glued to is obviously the suspense. Lately I feel as if it has a horror feel to it. The face in the photograph in Ch. 3 legit scared me. (O_o) I've learnt my lesson not to read this when it's dark out.

I wonder why Hiinsa was at the library. Since the gang went to the library after the handprints were splattered (?), it means that she was there beforehand. For what purpose? I hope it will be revealed soon. She seems the type of character who goes her own way. She seems nice to Shigeru but I don't think she'll oblige to help out the others.

The powers that are revealed so far are unique and interesting. :)

Akiyama

Reaction score
Country
United States

I hate the character Hiinsa. Her hand that she holds up to her face annoys the hell out of me. To me her bent hand is the weirdest pose by any manga character I have ever read. She suddenly says I have a third hand which is even more creepy. If this doesn't survive I can picture this manga ending after the 72 hours are up. That's the worst case scenario.

R4n

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Micronesia

I hate the character Hiinsa. Her hand that she holds up to her face annoys the hell out of me. To me her bent hand is the weirdest pose by any manga character I have ever read. She suddenly says I have a third hand which is even more creepy. If this doesn't survive I can picture this manga ending after the 72 hours are up. That's the worst case scenario.
Glad to know i am not the only one who feels that way. Somehow that pose seriously bugs me. 0_0
But when i think about it, that pose make me pay attention to her hand waaay before her power is revealed. So maybe that is on purpose.

i will try to ignore the hand in the future. =__=

Btw most of the characters has the same 'default' expression. I don't know how i should put this... their expressions don't change much from chapter 1. :oh

i find this manga interesting and i am looking forward to the next chapters.

Galactic Tomahawk

Reaction score
Country
Canada

I thought it was kinda weird that she tried to hide her power when it makes wacky handprints everywhere, there's no way people would just overlook that.

But otherwise the chapter was good.

KuwabaraTheMan

Reaction score
Country
United States

The powers that are revealed so far are unique and interesting. :)
Agreed. It's easy for series to fall into using the same basic tropes that we've all seen before, but Enigma is really standing out because the powers people have feel unique. That plus the suspense feeling are what's keeping me reading, and I hope that the series can keep it up.

Hamy

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong

What is with all the Hiinsa hate. I find her cool and especially like her smug pose~! Well chapter 5 was a pretty obvious solution to the puzzle - it was clear that she'd be groping around for the puzzle pieces in the water. I also liked Hiinsa's background - I guess I may be the only Hiinsa fan here. *does the Hiinsa hand pose* I wonder if she'll start to fall for Sumio now and become a love rival for Shigeru~.

KaitoKief

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Enigma is great and i want the next chapter. >,>
I like the powers of the characters so far. They are unique.

Zatono

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

New chapter is out, and I've gotta say it's still delivering. I kind of like the little background stories that each character gets, since it gives further room for development. http://www.mangafox.com/manga/n_gm/v01/c005/

Sherlock Holmes

Reaction score
Country
Canada

I gotta say, it's one of the most original series in jump. I love it.
...but I have a terrible feeling that it might get canceled really really soon.

Zatono

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

...but I have a terrible feeling that it might get canceled really really soon.
I kind of thought so to, when I considered that's since it's so different from the normal Shounen's that maybe people just won't bother reading it. Hopefully that won't be the case.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

What I like a lot is the background story we always get when a character is dealing with the talent he or she uses. Furthermore, it was good to see what happened to the student who was caught by the shadow. I wonder if the person of the shadow is part of the enigma game too but with different directives. If he succeeds then the others fail, if they succeed then (s)he failed.

Whether this will be popular? It isn't mainstream and that itself is a double edged sword. But, iirc, death note wasn't the top ToC seeded series either ;)

KuwabaraTheMan

Reaction score
Country
United States

Another great chapter. I think this series does a great job at developing its characters, and making the readers care about what happens to them. I really liked this chapter because of the way it showed an ugly side of society and the effect it has on people.

Asarii

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Personally I thought the backstory was too soon. There has to be room to get to know each of the characters at a basic level before moving on to the deeper recesses. I do understand the hastiness of the mangaka though. There has to be certain precautions in place just in case it goes the same route as the other 2010 series. Hopefully that won't happen.

Having said that, Hiinsa's history enhances her reward. She grew up with parents who didn't love each other and was pretty much a loner among her classmates. She keeps saying that she's here to win but what she wants most is a "bond": a special connection with others.

I have a soft spot for this manga so I hope it does well in upcoming weeks! :)

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

I think it was a great chapter too. I thought we would see Shigeru's powers (and that it would be used to stop the fan or otherwise obtain the last piece) but I guess I'm glad Sakaki-sensei is taking more of her time in revealing the powers. I agree with Asarii on the backstories though, it does feel a little early for so much backstory. We don't even know that much about Sumio but we already have Hiina's backstory.

I wonder what's up with the student council president (oops I forgot his name) in the nikki Sumio drew...

3 more weeks till we get it's first ranking :D I hope it does well too!

dct21

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

this series has been awesome so far, im glad i picked it up

Divinenega

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

So...6 chapters in and we already have a semi-established love triangle(could be larger actually, do we know the gender of the person in the costume?). I'm curious to see how it works out.

I have to say though...this manga is really interesting. I don't think I've been this hooked on a thriller manga in awhile. It has good characters and pretty solid writing so far, and I'm glad to see it's making improvements in each chapter, and it's making me wonder what direction it'll take...well I have some ideas on that.

From what I read on Live Journal, while the series has yet to be ranked, it hasn't been looked down upon by the editorial department like most of the stuff this year, so it's a good sign. If this series somehow doesn't do well, I really don't have any idea what the readers in JUMP are thinking...