Shounen Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Hmmm.....not very impressive chapters. I am sort of losing interest in this E-test arc. I need some kind of reassurance that there is more to the story than just this E-test. I get the feeling that this arc is just to show off all the characters abilities. If that is the case, I think the pace should move faster. The characters using their abilities to figure out the passwords one after the other is getting kind of boring, and we still have 3 more to go...I'm not sure how I feel about Aru's ability. I guess it could be cool.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Only problem I have is that the Kurisu arc felt totally out of place. I don't particularly like Kurisu to begin with, but I think it would have worked a lot better if they saved it until the end of the current E-Test when we'd already seen what everybody else could do.

Plus as Zatono said, now we're stuck with the question of why they don't just use his power to get out of there. It could be that Enigma would see through the plan and it wouldn't work, but it'll be weird if they didn't even try or acknowledge it.

I'm really liking the current arc though, Aru's easily my favorite of the group so far and I actually managed to almost guess what his power was. I figured it was going to involve his suit, and that either him or Sudou would get something related to physical ability.
 
Last edited:

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
I think Aru's ability is really cool, and there's really an unlimited number of things he could do with it. I wonder what he looks like as a human, though :)

I also don't really mind that the characters are showing their abilities one after another - this is usually the case for any manga as the mangaka needs to introduce the characters. On the contrary, I think it would be boring if they all had their abilities revealed at one go. It's a little slow, seeing as even after 18 chapters not everyone has shown their abilities (and there're those like Kurumiya who never even knew they had any) but with the rest of the story progressing the way it is, the suspense is still there and it doesn't feel slow imo.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Agreed. Aru's ability so far is probably the best out of all of them. I think Aru's power is basically the power of his imagination. And if I think about it, it's also kinda hax like Kurisu's. I'm really waiting for Sudou's power to be revealed. I bet he's pretty powerful too. Basically, Sudou and Aru are the brawns in the group. Shigeru's is the one I'm definitely looking for.
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I love Aru. S/He's kind of like a cuter version of Alphonse Elric.

But I'm not complaining about 18 chapters. That's two volumes for the introductory arc thus far. Since this series doesn't have to worry about getting cut any time soon, it could easily have a 5 volume introductory arc, and I'm okay with it. Fleshed out characters is better than a horrid rushjob.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I really like that the costume itself is the power, because now a reason was provided for the costume to be present outside of this test. I was afraid it might have been scrapped since there's really no reason to wear the costume once you get out of it.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,736
Reaction score
17,767
Country
Torumekian Empire
I don't know about this recent developement. I'm starting to lose interest.

As for the remaining power, of Sudou. I don't think there will be two power enchanting skills, so he is just naturally strong. I'm most likely horribly wrong though. My long shot guess is that his power has something to do with hearing or memory or both, based on the top middle panel on this page.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Yeah it's gonna be one or the other, I doubt both of them would have the same ability. I like your idea, wouldn't be too surprised if that happens.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I'm kind of mixed with Aru's power. On the one hand its pretty interesting and useful, but on the other hand, it would require being the suit a lot of the time. And that costume just creeps me out...
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
I'm just wondering that Matsurigi is currently in process of becoming shadow, right? However, if Matsurigi successfully escape e-test before completely become shadow, then I wonder Matsurigi will be cured or not.
 

hai_Priesty

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2007
Messages
786
Reaction score
1,943
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Regarding this (coming?) week's E19,
Don't you think the last panel...... Aru kun's actual look,
WHere he lays on the hospital bed.....
The whole scene - his hair, his look, the background (drawn in very fine lines), use of background toner....... the art REMINDS VERY MUCH OF HITMAN REBORN?

And he looks like kawaii semi-shota to me.......character design reminds me a little of Reborn fangirl fuel...... and the way bandages are drawn........ :blink :eyeroll

Then I remebered - Sakaki Sensei used to be an Assistant of Reborn according to 2ch. (Oh, if Sakaki Sensei even managed to bring 15% of those girls to buy Enigma she'll be set to thrive or at least survive in Shonen Jump for years.)

**Disclaimer : I'm no Shotacon.

Negative Syndicate,
I'd think he'll most likely be cured, since Enigma's looking for capable groups of people it can use (probably) with full mental capacity instead of failed ones that turned into complete shadows and did its bid like zombies....

Jaymie,
PM-ed to you XD.

I'm kind of mixed with Aru's power. On the one hand its pretty interesting and useful, but on the other hand, it would require being the suit a lot of the time. And that costume just creeps me out...
(oh hi you're here as well! ^_^)
Don't worry I think the suit will grow in you. I thought it creepy at first as well but my eyes are beginning to tell me it's actually a little cute ("just" a little) LOL.




Plus as Zatono said, now we're stuck with the question of why they don't just use his power to get out of there. It could be that Enigma would see through the plan and it wouldn't work, but it'll be weird if they didn't even try or acknowledge it.

I'm really liking the current arc though, Aru's easily my favorite of the group so far and I actually managed to almost guess what his power was. I figured it was going to involve his suit, and that either him or Sudou would get something related to physical ability.
Hey, we already know Enigma's at the other side of the door!
If he easily kidnaps a bunch of special powered people plus being capable of keeping failed participants in seemingly another dimension he's easily struck down Kurisu and any "cheaters" who went through the door not to his liking (like disobeying his "rules")!




I'll comment on #1 and e20 tomorrow when I get my shonen jump ^_^
 

Akiyama

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
3,256
Reaction score
5,752
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
What is written on Sumio's t-shirt? I can't figure it out and it's driving me crazy.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What is written on Sumio's t-shirt? I can't figure it out and it's driving me crazy.

It says Rey Mysterio, he's a masked wrestler who's currently with the WWE. I guess we're slowly getting to know some of Sumio's hobbies? Or maybe Sakaki-sensei likes him, WWE is pretty big in Japan after all.

One thing I'm starting to notice though (sparked it up from the gaiden), is Sumio's bad sense of style some kind of joke nobody's brought up yet? I mean in the gaiden he was wearing whatever that was to impress mature girls, and plus he wears a purple shirt with black polka dots... well he seems to have a penchant for polka dots in general

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/enigma/v02/c017/4.html
 
Last edited:

hai_Priesty

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2007
Messages
786
Reaction score
1,943
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
[Cross];2285601 said:
It says Rey Mysterio, he's a masked wrestler who's currently with the WWE. I guess we're slowly getting to know some of Sumio's hobbies? Or maybe Sakaki-sensei likes him, WWE is pretty big in Japan after all.
.....!!!! I actually missed that despite of holding Enigma volume 1!

Now since somehow has brought it up, perhaps I'll intercept with some of Omakes of Volume 1? ^_^;; (my scanner's spoilt so only camera shot for now.....)

Yes, Sumio's profile DID say he likes watching WWE & especially Rey Mysterio!
There's another extra like Jump Next, but it's set "6 months before the Enigma incident" (Jump Next's was 5.... I wonder if Sensei wants to do other Extras like "4, 3 2 1 months before" in the future.

There's even a map at the back of their school buildings plan. Sensei commented the map will be updated (back of every volume?) to include places where incidents occured, as the story progresses.

So we know Sensei don't plug things out of thin air on-the-go like so many Shonen manga does. ^_^


Other profile in volume 1 includes Moto & Hiina san. Other interchapter pages are also filled with sketches. I personally thinks..... :tem
1) Hiina san is smaller (158cm) than I thought.... perhaps she just appeared taller due to her heels?
2) Moto's likings..... is fetish-y, and probably moe-fuel for certain types of fangirls....耳掃除(Ear cleaning) is one of his hobbies...... XD
3) All 3 character introduced so far.... Pisces, Pisces and Scorpio (Moto).

I don't know if it's intention of the Sensei, but she seemed to have set the Enigma's tone to be righteous and emotional rather than Death Note-style cooleadedness - liking abandoning no member no matter what - with the group made with a bunch belonging to water-element horoscope signs (note : suggesting Emotional, Intuitive, perhaps dreamy) to boot.




And now that we know about Aru kun's conditions,
the page from Volume 1 - with the silhouette that seems to be hiding from a distance staring down at all members that many speculated to be Enigma. We now know that it's probably Aru kun from his hospital bed.


One thing I'm starting to notice though (sparked it up from the gaiden), is Sumio's bad sense of style some kind of joke nobody's brought up yet? I mean in the gaiden he was wearing whatever that was to impress mature girls, and plus he wears a purple shirt with black polka dots... well he seems to have a penchant for polka dots in general

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/enigma/v02/c017/4.html
People brought that up alot in 2ch....... but guess few wants to say so openly here, maybe because being a international board here people just aren't very confident that what he wears is really tacky in Japan ^o^

And polka dots, this weeks from Aru kun's flashback he's wearing polka dot trousers. Hmm ^_^;



Edit : Now that I touted the Manga & uploaded pics, I shall say - those who like it should consider buying it. The Omakes are well worth it ^_^.
 
Last edited:

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
hai_Priesty said:
(oh hi you're here as well! ^_^)
Don't worry I think the suit will grow in you. I thought it creepy at first as well but my eyes are beginning to tell me it's actually a little cute ("just" a little) LOL.
Hey :)! Yeah I'll admit, the suit has been growing on me. The only things I dislike about it now are the colours and the strange smile. Its probably the fact that he's always got the same expression, which makes me wonder why he can't change it.
 

masgrande

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2009
Messages
668
Reaction score
127
Gender
Male
Country
Puerto Rico
Well if he gets his wish we might be able to see his real body.
 

Zatono

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 6, 2009
Messages
3,940
Reaction score
1,649
Gender
Male
Country
United States
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/enigma/

19 and 20 have been scanlated, check it out. They're pretty good chapters IMO.

Jesus Christ, Aru is terribly unlucky, and the author isn't scared to show it. -Shudders-
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
That was an amazing chapter. I love emotional stories like that. Pit-kun/Aru is by far my favorite character now, though I think Sumio is a really good main character so far.
 
Top