Shounen Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
The Japanese raw for e52 is out here.
 

WilliamK

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2009
Messages
113
Reaction score
11
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Very interesting way to do the 'inside of Cannibal', I presume?

Mao's back! Squeee! Still disappointed Akame didn't get eaten.

Moving on, I really found Cannibal's way of using FLAT rather... unique. So I assume in the paperish form, he takes less damage from physical attacks. It's cool to see that Hiina's ability can indeed lift someone, whether or not if it's only for a few seconds. Looking at all the bones in the coffins, is that Cannial's past deceased victimns?

Admittedly, I laughed at what Sakaki done to poor Aru's face! What is happening to him!?

Is the Masked Gentleman related to Kijima?

Lastly, it looks like Cannibal's past victimns that went to the Festival aren't there, meaning they possibly got consumed already? Unless where they're going leads to another room.
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Japanese spoilers are out for e53. The chapter's title:
Past.

According to these spoilers:
The safe is opened. As for Safe Head's identity:
Is the Masked Gentleman related to Kijima?
YES. In fact, it's his father, whose name is Gidou Imizuka.
 
Last edited:

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Chapter 52 was actually pretty good. It was pretty thrilling and fast-paced.
 

WilliamK

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2009
Messages
113
Reaction score
11
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Yeah chapter 52 was pretty cool. He's been seen using everyone's abilities now other than Sudou's and Kijima's, but now it seems like he can't use anyone's thanks to Kijima. Can't wait to see why everyone is headless. Also nice to see Enigma get 19th in the Oricon Rankings...

As for 53...

I was thinking about him being the Masked Gentleman. Him or Sumio's Father were the best options. It seemed right, since he seems pretty laid back and nice, which fits why Kirio was shocked to see his own father so serious when handing him Enigma. Man, it's unfortunate that Enigma probably won't get a chance to rank these chapters if things don't start looking up soon, since these chapters hopefully would improve! Though to be fair if what the translator person said about next series getting canceled later November/early December going by last year, it would probably be the Akame defeat or the Cannibal being revealed chapters which were pretty damn good.

Enigma's on its last straw, but I'm sure it can do it with luck. As for Gidou, can't wait to see more history on the Imizuka family. Seems Kijima's using his mothers last name then. And I still she should've taken the "enemies after Enigma, town/people/characters/minor characters/major characters in danger" route, which I still think it'll happen.
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Chinese scan of e53 is out HERE.

This chapter is definitely more deserving of its title than any of the others so far having to do with the
Past.

We not only get to see
Gido Imizuka's face,

But also
a flashback of Gido, Koda, Sumio's father and Kirio as a child.

From what it looks like,
Gido is the original possessor of Enigma. Koda, Gido and Sumio's father were once acquaintances who all wanted to throw the skull down the well. Kirio wanted to go after it, but Koda stopped him. Unfortunately, Kirio accidentally threw Koda down the well. The skull somehow emerges out of the well, along with Koda, desperately after the skull since. My Chinese is terrible, so I'm only reading the chapter from the pictures, but I really think Act 2 really is starting to end now.
 
Last edited:

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
After seeing chapter 53, I think the author is now wrapping up the story.
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
After seeing chapter 53, I think the author is now wrapping up the story.
I think so too.

Many of the remaining questions have just been answered with this chapter alone. Even the conflict with Cannibal seems to be completely resolved.

If Sakaki were to end the story soon, 8 weeks from now would be the perfect time. I'm predicting 8 weeks because then, Enigma would reach 60 61 chapters, which would split perfectly between 7 volumes (6 7+9+9+9+9+9+9=60 61).

Of course, if she could somehow pull off extending the story beyond 8 weeks instead, that'd be great. But if she's really ending the story with the release of the November 28 December 5 WSJ issue, I wouldn't be too disappointed as I think she's done a great job with the story, even the ending.
 
Last edited:

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
I think so too.

Many of the remaining questions have just been answered with this chapter alone. Even the conflict with Cannibal seems to be completely resolved.

If Sakaki were to end the story soon, 8 weeks from now would be the perfect time. I'm predicting 8 weeks because then, Enigma would reach 60 chapters, which would split perfectly between 7 volumes (6+9+9+9+9+9+9=60).

Of course, if she could somehow pull off extending the story beyond 8 weeks instead, that'd be great. But if she's really ending the story with the release of the November 28 WSJ issue, I wouldn't be too disappointed as I think she's done a great job with the story, even the ending.
I don't think Enigma going to continue for another 8 weeks because new series going to start as soon as one shots are ended (at lease I think). Therefore, I think Enigma going to end within next few weeks in order to make room for new series.
 

WilliamK

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2009
Messages
113
Reaction score
11
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
It's disappointing that I think the only chapters that can save the series actually won't be ranked in time. Seems things are getting wrapped up and the history of the skull is discovered. However, who had it before Gudou? Well if it's getting canceled, I think it'll be left unknown, however I think she's leaving he possibility open as there's still the fact that the rumours from the wishes of the Enigma skull came to be because of predecessors and such.

Well best luck to Sakaki Kenji for another amazing series like this if it's going. Also your estimate does seem right FOMA, considering it would match (closely) with last years cancellation date, too.
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
It's disappointing that I think the only chapters that can save the series actually won't be ranked in time. Seems things are getting wrapped up and the history of the skull is discovered. However, who had it before Gudou? Well if it's getting canceled, I think it'll be left unknown, however I think she's leaving he possibility open as there's still the fact that the rumours from the wishes of the Enigma skull came to be because of predecessors and such.

Well best luck to Sakaki Kenji for another amazing series like this if it's going. Also your estimate does seem right FOMA, considering it would match (closely) with last years cancellation date, too.
I just took what you said regarding Enigma's possibility of cancellation in terms of the number of chapters released, then did the math to get everything here. In essence, I couldn't have done it without you and your idea. And it makes sense, especially considering how other WSJ series ended in the past. Many of them had just about the right number of chapters to end with full volumes (Kikai Banashi at 15 for 2, Hokenshitsu no Shinigami at 87-88 for 10, Dois Sol and Sengoku at 17 for 2). Even if the math just doesn't work out, the manga staff can always add a few extras to the final volume to make up.

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how Sakaki would finish the story, or when. My best guess is a concise flashback of everything up to the events of chapter 1, the permanent disposal of Enigma, a curtain call of Sumio's father, and how everyone's lives will continue after the end of the story.

For now, these are all the ways I think Sakaki could end the story in terms of laying out the chapters for the volumes:
- 8 more chapters, as predicted
- less than 8 more chapters, with a few extras added into the final volume
- less than 8 more chapters, with one or two elongated to match the length of 8 chapters
- 9 or 10 more chapters
I still doubt Enigma will end within the next few weeks because I can't think of many extras the manga staff might put in to take up half the final hypothetical volume. I'd give it 5-7 weeks at least.

So, this December 5 deadline is actually more of a benchmark as to when the series will end, assuming the math is perfect. It could end sooner or later by a few weeks. Whatever happens, though, I'm sure Sakaki will do fine. With her past experience as a long-time assistant of Reborn as well as creating Enigma, I hope she can start off another thrilling series sometime in the future.

Having said everything, I hope kewl translates this chapter soon as I'm extremely curious as to what the dialogue is. Sure, pictures are worth a thousand words, but words alone play a highly significant role in this particular manga.
 
Last edited:

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
I just took what you said regarding Enigma's possibility of cancellation in terms of the number of chapters released, then did the math to get everything here. In essence, I couldn't have done it without you and your idea. And it makes sense, especially considering how other WSJ series ended in the past. Many of them had just about the right number of chapters to end with full volumes (Kikai Banashi at 15 for 2, Hokenshitsu no Shinigami at 87-88 for 10, Dois Sol and Sengoku at 17 for 2). Even if the math just doesn't work out, the manga staff can always add a few extras to the final volume to make up.
Your explanation do make sense, but you should also consider that the one shot can be included in the volume. For example, Yotsuya-senpai and Metallica Metalluca has ended total of 18/17 chapters, but they had three volumes because the volumes included the author's one shots; Shonen Shikku ended 15 chapters, which is little bit short for two volumes, so it included his one shot; and Meruhen Ouji Grimm has 18 chapters and ended 2 volumes, but it is short-page gag series, so its volumes included the author's one shot.

Sakaki did two one shots before she started Enigma, so those two one shots can be include in last two volumes to fill up the pages.
 

WilliamK

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2009
Messages
113
Reaction score
11
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Going back onto the chapter...

Awesome. So there CAN be more than one skull, whether at a time or not is unknown. But that's pretty great news for the role play. Questions were answered, but yet another one rose for the next few chapters it has left. Will keep praying for Enigma, but I am going to brace for the worst. Anyway, the question raised is... what is Enigma? It does seem to have its own mind (not wanting its own destruction), its own desires (a sacrifice) and I wonder if it has another figure or form? I hope it does. Still wondering if a patrol person will come along on the train to, since there's quite a few "trespassers" on the train now.

As for the volume stuff, I'm sure it'll be extended for long enough, there's still a few things to do for the next 1-5 chapters, considering we haven't even gotten to the second last stop yet, let alone the last. Something must be planned for the second last stop, considering

Cannibal was stopped

before it. As said in previous chapters, I'm expecting the train "patrol" to play a part or not or a betrayl desire for the skull to happen.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
I think Sakaki had better chance if she serialized Enigma in SQ since SQ's only suspense series, Shiki, recently ended and I think Enigma would be good series for replacement of Shiki.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
I dunno if it would have done much better. It kinda lost it's charm after the initial E-test arc. The current arc has been meh at best and I just can't bring myself to get excited over any of the reveals...especially considering, unlike the first arc, I saw all of these coming.
 

WilliamK

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2009
Messages
113
Reaction score
11
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
I think Sakaki made this arc came to be by wanting to wrap up the remaining questions of identities of characters before introducing a whole new plot revelation, which I think wasn't the best of choices. Like, instead of introducing the plot of "who's after the skull" or "how the skull rumours" came to be or something (both potentially very interesting), instead she chose to make an arc that would wrap up Cannibal, Kirio's Father and Sumio's Father all at once and giving a basis on what the skull truly has the ability to do since we found out one can't actually destroy the skull. Personally, I do like the arc, but I also think she could've chosen more interesting routes which she is still leaving herself open to do so.
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Well, since even chapter 53's translation alone isn't out yet, I'm going to do all of you a favour and translate the next chapter's spoilers!

The title of e54 is:
Island.

Here's what the spoilers say:
外骨島に着くとスミオの父親としげるが出迎える
しげるは次のドクロになるための人柱として拐われていた
スミオ父とギドウから今までの経緯が語られる
井戸での出来事の後ドクロに連鎖を終わらせる方法を聞くと成長したスミオ達の映像が見える
二人はその未来を信じスミオ達が成長するのを待つ間シメイを引き付けていた
スミオが父に井戸に案内してくれと頼む
父「終わらせる覚悟はついたか?」スミオ「これが最後だ」「行くぞっ!!」

Sumio's father arrives at Gaikotsu Island and meets Shigeru.
Shigeru had been kidnapped to become the skull's next human sacrifice. (I believe it says that)
We get to see the story of Sumio's father and Gido up until the present.
?
?
?
Sumio's father: "Have you decided to finish the skull?" Sumio: "It's the end!""Let's go!!"

I'll finish the rest as best as I can.
 
Last edited:

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
It looks like Enigma possibly going to end at next chapter.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
You mean this coming chapter or chapter 55?
 
Top