Shounen [FEATURED] Hunter x Hunter

Franco

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 14, 2006
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Title: Hunter x Hunter
Genres: Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy, Shounen
Author: Yoshihiro Togashi
Artist: Yoshihiro Togashi
Publication: Shonen Jump
Start Date: 1998
End Date: On-going but on a hiatus, again
Number of chapters at review: 261
Number of chapters read by reviewer: 261


General Overview: Gon wants to be a hunter so that he may follow in his fathers footsteps, and decides to set out on a quest to become a hunter and to eventually find his father. His quest will take him around the world meeting new people and stuff, and he ends up fighting a lot, and i really start to hate his character later.

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)
Theres going to be two ratings, 1st arc & 2nd, then everything after first arc.


Art: 8 , 3
Wow i really liked this manga when i started reading it, i got into for the reason that my younger brother was watching the anime so i was well that's cool. The art starts off very detailed with good attention to detail nothing bad at all, very well executed. A little later on some white backgrounds less detail but nothing to worsen the characters.
2nd arc looks great too, starts to falter a bit here and there with empty backgrounds, more of a here's the situation now lets plug in the people, but for some reason, every once in awhile it gets better so it was all bad considering 2nd arc was my favorite, 3rd arc and later, suck donkey balls, it isn't even art then, its just sketches characters start to lose defining features, backgrounds die off, layers? what's that?


Plot: 8 , 5
Yay i like this plot, its pretty cool in fact it reminds me of the game 'Arc the lad' if anyone knows about it. It progresses in a nice fashion too. Not any big plot twists though nothing to make u go holy smokes, but something u could see coming even if u didn't know how the author did it, you would be a bit more like wtf, that's a horrible reason to explain how that happened... It further adds new challenges for the characters in the series by making them learn new things so they can be on par with other hunters.

The current arc that their in and the one before that suck. You can tell the author has run out of things to do, because nothing is making much sense any more, at this stage, in the mind of the reader is acceptable to say that gon and his friend are top tier hunters and the series should end but its not going to... The arc before this one though i must admit had a cool thing going on by using a "card system" but then it got old.


Characters: 6 , 6
Its the same thing it never changes for both versions, characters are great and memorable, nicely drawn and very different from each other. Different skill sets and all, they even have their own backgrounds to further flesh them out. Then that's where the problem is, you just spent 3 chapters reading about someone, u never see them again.... They are so important to the story, but they never come back, or they die really fast, I don't know what its but characters come and go faster than anything I've seen in any manga. The author makes a point to try to make every person encountered a memorable character that is going to be significant only to be never seen from again... i don't like it at all


Themes: 9 , 9
Same shounen themes as is replicated in every other one friendship, trying hard, putting your mind to work, its what you would expect nothing new but then again thankfully he doesn't screw this up at all he executes it in a good fashion


Originality: 9 , 5
The main idea behind the first two arcs were great, the fashion in which they were performed was run-of-the-mill to be exact but it was nice and enjoyable.

the latter was a bit more on the side of, are u serious? This bites donkey balls, because for its drawn out, and very long, longer than it should be, 3rd arc was pretty original actually but i know its been done before and in a better fashion, current is just the end of the series kind of thing, more like lets milk this sucker.


Overall: 8, 2
To be honest for your own good, just imagine the manga ends after the second arc, its not worth read afterwards, it starts to become really pointless and exaggerated.

I'm going to re-do this







 
Last edited by a moderator:

renrutal

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
189
Reaction score
8
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Re: Hunter x Hunter

What the hell, can't you name the arcs? Like Hunter Exams, Zaoldyeck Family & Celestial Tower, Genei Ryodan, Greed Island and Chimera Ant arcs?? That's far from spoiler-ish.

More I read this, less you make sense.

You're telling everyone to do not bother reading Genei Ryodan and Greed Island story arcs? Are you nuts?


Moderator Notice:
Try to keep things a little more constructive please, and a little less abrasive~ Mooncrow
 
Last edited by a moderator:

woof

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2006
Messages
85
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Austria
Re: Hunter x Hunter

HxH has never been a manga witch defined it self by great art, the story is just awesome and gets better with every arc

sry, I cant agree with your review


Moderator Notice:
be careful when leaving comments, we don't want to start any bashing~ Mooncrow
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Dark-Kaomi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
125
Reaction score
1
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter

The art does get sloppy at times and is hard for me to understand at points. But, I personally love this series and rank it in my top ten. I just hope the author will continue soon.
 

Musashi_Keiji

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2006
Messages
127
Reaction score
27
Age
40
Gender
Hidden
Country
Mexico
Re: Hunter x Hunter

Seriously what a horrible review...
As it was said already HxH isn't a manga known for its "art". For it it's all about the story and complexity of using Nen.

Since you didn't actually say up to what part is arc 1,2, and the rest.... I'll just the only point at which the manga is really ever stale is during the first half of the GI arc, its finale is pretty awesome.

Also on the art being just sketches in later chapters, it seems you weren't informed that the mangaka was on hiatus because he was quite sick. Those chapters are chapters he did while still in a bad state. The book volumes of those chapters are actually redrawn.
 

Mooncrow

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2006
Messages
136
Reaction score
87
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter

Franco will be re-doing this review this week, so please keep that in mind :p
 

Obxist

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
1,094
Reaction score
312
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Hunter x Hunter

The review need to be more objective :D ... looking forward for the revision :D..

Heres some simple reviews from me :


Art : 5.5
As usual i am talking about art complexity ... just like naruto this manga is simple but got a nice art :D though later on Chimera Ant Arc the art is really dropping... too bad its because Togashi-sensei is badly sick... but he promise that the tankoubouns version of Chimera Ant Arc will got better art..


Plot : 8
i really like greed island arc but somehow genei ryodan arc is kinda down.. overall plot score 8 :D HxH got a good story


Characters : 7
Characters is good though some of them is not well introduced and lack of development.


Theme : 6
Nothing much new.. and until now the main theme that i got is about friendship :D


Originality : 8.5
Okay i love HxH idea... a "Hunter" is really a new idea... the world that they created full of mystery :D... really i love the "Hunter" thing :D


Overall : 8
Good manga..You should read it though its not a must :D
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,227
Reaction score
128
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Re: Hunter x Hunter

Sorry if I appear banal but I totally agree with Obxist review and I'm happy to find someone who loved the Greed Island arc and wasn't fond of the genei ryodan arc, from what I get reading some forums the general consensus is different.

Imho, HunterXHunter is a very solid shonen manga not a masterpiece but a very good manga and very enjoyable. The plot, even if not very original, is interesting and Togashi created some characters very fascinating, so much it is a shame they weren't developed more. Unfortunately the author had some problems and so the manga suffered a lot.
 

abu_89

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2006
Messages
393
Reaction score
4
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Hunter x Hunter

Besides the Chimera Ant arc, the series was awesome.. :D
 

redcometfm

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2008
Messages
712
Reaction score
51
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Hunter x Hunter

HXH is definetly one of the best mangas out there.

The story is very good first off, it flows very nicely, and has bits of character development sprinkled throughout (better than most shonen mangas). The art is also superb, despite the few scribbly chapters in the Chimera Ant Arc. Togashi has that 'minimalism (sp?)' style and it just adds a very cool and relaxing style to his art and story that makes it stand out.

My only complaint is that the Greed Island Arc got a little too convoluted with its RPG rules for my taste. And I'll admit honestly that I'm not a huge proponent of RPGs.
 

angelz

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 19, 2007
Messages
101
Reaction score
55
Gender
Female
Country
Australia-Aboriginal
Re: Hunter x Hunter

I like the Chimera Ant arc.. the only thing i found annoying is the 2 years of hiatus and another few weeks of hiatus. It kinda disrupt the story mood.

For me, HxH is one of the best manga out there, definitely in my top ten and definitely higher than Naruto but that's not saying much as I've stop reading/watching Naruto.
 

shibigoku

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2005
Messages
62
Reaction score
9
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Hunter x Hunter

you do know that the mangaka is terribly sick and is making an inhuman effort to finish the manga? otherwise his girlfriend (sailor moon's mangaka) will take over the series which would mean ULTIMATE SUPERBEAUTIFUL MOON LIGHT death for this manga. So make an effort to appreciate the arcs even though they're falling in quality.

I personnally think this manga has/had the potential to be one of the best mangas out there. It's pure shounen with martial art, clans, upgrades, techniques, insane enemies, etc...
 
Last edited:

redcometfm

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2008
Messages
712
Reaction score
51
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Hunter x Hunter

you do know that the mangaka is terribly sick and is making an inhuman effort to finish the manga? otherwise his girlfriend (sailor moon's mangaka) will take over the series which would mean ULTIMATE SUPERBEAUTIFUL MOON LIGHT death for this manga. So make an effort to appreciate the arcs even though they're falling in quality.

I personnally think this manga has/had the potential to be one of the best mangas out there. It's pure shounen with martial art, clans, upgrades, techniques, insane enemies, etc...
Unless youre a troll, I want you to take a moment to go and research what you just claimed and give it a thought. (in reference to the first paragraph)
 

tapeworm

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 24, 2006
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Re: Hunter x Hunter

Didn't know the manga continued! This makes me very happy \o/

Since I only watched the anime before, I've got some questions... After the Greed Island Story Arc comes the Chimera Ant arc, am I right? Anybody who knows when the Chimera Ant arc starts? Which volume?

Thanks
 

ibra87

天のデンマーク語
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 18, 2006
Messages
6,110
Reaction score
1,288
Country
Denmark
Re: Hunter x Hunter

You can start from chapter 185, which is volume 18. That's where Gon gets to choose 3 cards to take with him.
 

zabycx

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 29, 2006
Messages
7
Reaction score
1
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter

What a terrible "review". Maybe you should retake 5th grade English first. HxH is not a manga aimed at 12 year olds. There is death, complexity, logical fight systems, genocide, etc. It skirts the edge between Shonen and Seinen while making itself palatable to those looking for the former. In a sea of shonen series with protaganists winning fights by sheer willpower, bad guys changing sides because they were "forgiven" once by the good guys, and incredibly predictable story arcs, HxH is a breath of fresh, Cynical air.
 
Last edited:

Drakrami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2007
Messages
753
Reaction score
420
Gender
Male
Country
Balearic Islands
Re: Hunter x Hunter

what's with this crap score you're giving hunterxhunter. HunterX is easily one of the top 5 mangas of all time. The only problem with it it's the consistency of the author.
 

Tathagata

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
6
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter

First off, because this is your review, and thus your opinion, I can make no comment regarding your opinions, as to whether you are right or not. However, even though it is not my place to put a review up, I would like to put my two cents in.

Hunter X Hunter was one of the first longer series I got into, and was one which I read on the tails of Flame of Recca and Rurouni Kenshin. Now, generally speaking, I was a bit apprehensive about starting Hunter X Hunter, but I gave it my usual 2 volumes to decide whether I would continue reading or not, and I have not been disappointed since.

This is one of my old favorite mangas. As you mentioned, the series does vary from point to point in artistic quality, and with a little knowledge of the mangaka and his illness, it is easy to understand why. However, what I think is interesting about this series is development of the characters, and I think that is a testament to the overall story of this manga.

When it originally went on hiatus, I was heartbroken, but understanding. I had become deeply attached to the characters and Gon's various interactions with them, and more than anything, I was hoping to see Gon find some peace with what was happening in his life.

For that reason, among others, I was overjoyed when I first heard that the series would be coming back, even for a short amount of time. As with any story, when you become attached to the characters, you begin to lament with them when bad things happen, and rejoice when good things come about. And I think that is a necessary point of this manga that you may have missed.

Even after all the time it was gone, I was still wanting to know what happened next.

So yes, even if the art does suffer at times, and perhaps the arcs are not always as entertaining as the original ones, but Yoshihiro Togashi continues to develop the characters, making them more unique, and at the same time, easier for the readers to relate to.

While many mangas do this, it is perhaps that reason why HxH went back to the top of the page of mangahelpers, and why people were willing to take the project up again after such a long wait.

Again, while I must respect your review, I think if the review is to be representative, it is well worth mentioning the emotional impact this series has in its development, and is something which I think you were lacking in your review.

--Tath
 

zabycx

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 29, 2006
Messages
7
Reaction score
1
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter

While I can understand where you're coming from, wanting to "respect" his review, that idea is completely unnecessary and a byproduct of the Politically Correct age. Just because someone is being civil doesn't mean you have to respect them, anymore than you'd respect an extremely polite salesman at your door attempting to sell you the cure to lung cancer in the form of magnets on bracelets. Some things simply deserve derision.
 

Tathagata

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
6
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter

No, as a matter of opinion I am respecting his opinion of the series. How is it I can tell him what he thinks is wrong? His opinion on this piece of work, as it is, is still his. The same principle would apply in judging a piece of art. One person may like it, while another may not.

What you are suggesting with your example is also a completely different scenario, with a different set of qualifiers. I think comparing someones opinion against your own is far different from someone trying to shill a blatantly false product at you.

To outright say that his opinion is wrong is both rude and unnecessary. I stated my case as to why I think differently. Approaching it in any other manner would be, as I said, rude to both myself and to them. If I can politely say what I needed to say without resorting to some banal forum bashing, I would much rather do that.

The anonymity of the forum is hardly an excuse for being rude.
 
Top