FeelsBadMan Zone

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: (° ͜ʖ͡°) Land of 4Head and Kapparonis

What would they be doing there anyway xD

I don't honestly know why people are so obsessed with those characters either.
Idk, Blizzard trolled with them being MIA for years in those loading screen tips.

It's mostly tinfoil I think...but it is kind of weird that you meet practically everyone from the first portal expedition in TBC, but the only evidence of those two in WoW is that loading screen. That and you factor in the love story, blah blah.
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,223
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: (° ͜ʖ͡°) Land of 4Head and Kapparonis

Ah, I was under the impression that it was when the game was the most hardcore/unforgiving, and over the lifetime of Classic, it somehow became "less" hardcore or something. Especially since everyone refers to TBC being the glory days of raiding, meaning it somehow returned to when the game was "harder"...idk :XD

It wasn't a R A I D...doesn't count :4head
rofl wat? Classic/Vanilla WoW was the hardest, it didn't become easier or anything with new patches. I dunno, 5% of the whole WoW community back then actually SAW Naxxramas, that's how hard it was to even get there. You needed an insane amount of time and dedication, not to mention some reasonable skills among all 40 people. Back then I definitely was more than a casual, played pretty often tbh, and yet I never even saw most of AQ40 and nothing of Naxx at all. I mean sure, Burning Crusade had hardcore raids as well, but calling it the glory days of raiding is bullshit.
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
Re: (° ͜ʖ͡°) Land of 4Head and Kapparonis

Yeah, glory day of raiding was when raids were actually huge you know :4head

My guild was pretty hardcore (but not extreme), and I was definitely very hardcore, and we only saw about 70% of Naxx despite going there almost immediately upon the patch release.

Vanilla only got harder and harder, lol. I'm not sure where you got that info from, no one would say it got easier as time went on. Raids only got harder with more difficult boss mechanics. There were bosses that were common for being "struggle points" where it was normal to be stuck for a long time (weeks/months). TBC was about the same difficulty level, also a reason TBC was so well received as an expansion. Tempest Keep was available from the very start of TBC, same for the naga raid, and it took over 4 months IIRC according to a video for Kael'Thas to get killed. If Highmaul was available from the first minute of WoD, it would be downed in a week. 2.2 was the BT patch so it was there from an early point, but no one could access it for a long time due to the difficulty. That would never happen now. If something was made available people would be able to clear it rather rapidly. But TBC was overall well received for "feeling like the same game". Raids were all there so you had to control your own progression as a guild, but it went slow because it was so hard. If raids were 40man in TBC, I bet it would've been approx the same pace as Vanilla in terms of progress, but since it was dumbed down to 25man clear speed was obviously vastly increased.
 
Last edited:

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,223
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: (° ͜ʖ͡°) Land of 4Head and Kapparonis

Gary getting pseudo-knowledge from WoW noobs who didn't even start playiing before WotLk and heard some cool stories about Burning Crusade... I love it :4head

I mean not just raids, Vanilla was harsher than BC by far. No freaking Flying Mounts or anything, traveling took like forever depending on where you had to go because flying routes were a lot more rare too. SO MUCH grinding to even get equip good enough for Molten Core (the first big raid), not to mention endgame dungeons being not easy at all. Depending on your group it was quite normal to wipe in Stratholme etc, especially if you tried to accomplish the fast run. Really, I think it's been the only time during WoW where you simply failed hard even at very early endgame if you didn't put some thoughts into your skills, tactics etc etc. God this freaking marking was so annoying, when mages still had to sheep one of the opponents/Paladin had to freeze an undead, Warlocks needed to fear massively and so on. Most DPS'er couldn't relax at all, everyone had his role to play and if one fucked up it was almost a given wipe. Good old times when you raged so hard but felt extremely satisfied when you actually cleared a big hurdle or got that one freaking item you wanted for eternity.

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

Even Hunters had to use that arrow to cool down enraged opponents lulz :kappa
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
Re: (° ͜ʖ͡°) Land of 4Head and Kapparonis

Not to mention resistances actually mattered in Vanilla, LOL. I remember with poor gear you had to go with a lot of fire resistance gear in MC, which made your entire raid have to really commit otherwise they'd bring you down by dying. Ragnaros required you to wear as much fire res as humanly possible, at least for melee dps/tanks, making the dps extremely low. In Blackwing Lair the only res thing I believe you needed was to create a Cloak of Shadowflame or some shit like that. A cape that made you immune to Shadowflame spells used by dragons after the third boss, including Blackwing. A spell that would almost, if not completely kill you if you didn't wear the cloak, depending on your hp level. In AQ you had to use poison res gear on some encounters, S I G H. In Naxx you needed frost res for the last dragon boss, but we never got that far. I was actually demoted from Officer for refusing to spend DKP on frost res gear, since I was supposed to lead by example and I had the most DKP = it was my gear to take. I was like "no way, we're not getting to the boss by the time TBC comes out, cmon I'm not wasting my DKP on that gear, making me not get the next gear I WANT that drops." What an asshole guild leader I had there xD But yeah there were so many survivability aspects back then. Hunters with tranq shot, cc abilities, resistance gear and long pulls and shit, so much hassle lol.

Really we talk about "glory days" but most of it was just the game being too hard/dumb/annoying. The resistance bit was kind of cool but annoying. Flying was cool to me, I liked the travel aspect, but at the same time it made the game MUCH MORE time consuming since you had to physically travel to instances and shit.

The worst and best part at the same time of Vanilla raiding however was 40man raids. It made everything so much more epic, but SO MUCH HARDER, lol. The epitome of Vanilla raid example was Thaddius, which made ONE PERSON able to wipe the entire raid in seconds. Which was always the case, that one person out of 40 could mess up everything, making the % failure much harder then than with 25man, but in that encounter it was so literal, that one person could fuck up everything at any second. Making Thaddius one of the "road blocks" of Vanilla raiding, along with a few other bosses.

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

 
  • Like
Reactions: Nii

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
Re: (° ͜ʖ͡°) Land of 4Head and Kapparonis

:4head
 

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
31,967
Reaction score
23,756
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: (° ͜ʖ͡°) Land of 4Head and Kapparonis

SAME
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: (° ͜ʖ͡°) Land of 4Head and Kapparonis

I don't see anyone talking about 40-man raids and thinking raiding was better back then.

And I guess I thought about BC endgame more than the entire experience as a whole. Perhaps they were comparing BC to everything after it instead of Vanilla since it definitely seems like it was a different game back then. I think questing being incredibly hard and tedious is retarded, and I guess Blizzard agrees as well.

Regarding my confusion - I suppose I was under the impression that Vanilla stopped being "Vanilla" after a vague point in the lifecycle of the classic game. It seemed like it had way more patches than the way patch cycles work now, allowing for more things to be changed...idk

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

Gary getting pseudo-knowledge from WoW noobs who didn't even start playiing before WotLk and heard some cool stories about Burning Crusade... I love it :4head

Wat? How do you know where I got "pseudo-knowledge" from? It isn't even knowledge, it was just an impression I had for some reason... When looking up info for this or that, I wasn't like "oh, I want to learn EVERYTHING about Vanilla! :4head"....:residentsleeper
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
Re: (° ͜ʖ͡°) Land of 4Head and Kapparonis

Really? The 40 vs 25man argument has been huge since forever. The old school community (which was huge obviously) have to a large degree cried out, missing the feel of "epic 40man raids". It's really something different to play with that many people. It's almost comparable to dungeons and 25man raids. It's simply a completely different thing.

I actually think it has its charm. Having just reexperienced Vanilla, it's really fun in a different way to actually be challenged while leveling. The only thing I would change is the PACE of the game. Quest flow was AWFUL back then obviously. There were no quest tracking and shit so you have to actually read the quests unless you got addons for it. But the quests are hard and you have to actually play with a brain when you play. Leveling now is TOO easy to me, it's stupid, whether you got Heirlooms or not. You pull 3 mobs and you just shrug and wreck them. You pull 3 mobs of your level in Vanilla and you will likely die unless you pop cooldowns. Fix quest flow and increase exp gains to prevent the game being so dreadfully slow (after all at LIVE people don't want to play for eternity through old content, so the pace is fine even if it's super fast... Kind of too fast). But the difficulty is something I liked. Maybe tone it down a small level, but having to actually play is important to me. I get so bored of lvling on Live since it's zero challenge. You actually have to find people to kill Elites in Vanilla. I just liked the way the game was challenging, but Blizzard is notorious for dumbing down their games lately. The same thing happened with Diablo 3. It was insanely difficult at launch but became a snooze fest. I LOVED the game when it was dreadfully difficult at max difficulty level.

Yeah a ton of things were changed, but the game was basically half-made through Vanilla, lol. Plenty of things were added then. Changes to quest, zones, graphics (like dynamic weather), and content in general of course. But a weird impression to get any case. Vanilla is simply Classic, but enough about that.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: (° ͜ʖ͡°) Land of 4Head and Kapparonis

Really? The 40 vs 25man argument has been huge since forever. The old school community (which was huge obviously) have to a large degree cried out, missing the feel of "epic 40man raids". It's really something different to play with that many people. It's almost comparable to dungeons and 25man raids. It's simply a completely different thing.

I actually think it has its charm. Having just reexperienced Vanilla, it's really fun in a different way to actually be challenged while leveling. The only thing I would change is the PACE of the game. Quest flow was AWFUL back then obviously. There were no quest tracking and shit so you have to actually read the quests unless you got addons for it. But the quests are hard and you have to actually play with a brain when you play. Leveling now is TOO easy to me, it's stupid, whether you got Heirlooms or not. You pull 3 mobs and you just shrug and wreck them. You pull 3 mobs of your level in Vanilla and you will likely die unless you pop cooldowns. Fix quest flow and increase exp gains to prevent the game being so dreadfully slow (after all at LIVE people don't want to play for eternity through old content, so the pace is fine even if it's super fast... Kind of too fast). But the difficulty is something I liked. Maybe tone it down a small level, but having to actually play is important to me. I get so bored of lvling on Live since it's zero challenge. You actually have to find people to kill Elites in Vanilla. I just liked the way the game was challenging, but Blizzard is notorious for dumbing down their games lately. The same thing happened with Diablo 3. It was insanely difficult at launch but became a snooze fest. I LOVED the game when it was dreadfully difficult at max difficulty level.
I think the argument is kind of settled at this point honestly. How many guilds would be able to recruit 40 members easily? I also think they can do more things and make encounter design easier with less players as well.

I think the main problem with leveling through everything prior to the current content is that almost all of those people aren't noobs. Leveling 1-60 is what people were doing in Vanilla. Not that it was easy and didn't take long, but now you can add another 40 levels on top of that. You also get a lot of xp from just queuing up in dungeon finder. Then Blizz probably decided that they wanted to incentivize making an alt for more people, so they made Heirlooms. Blizzard probably realizes that having levels and levels of older, "inferior" content as a road block to the new stuff isn't a smart business decision, so that's where the boosts thing came from. I know that you disagree with it for new players, and I agree...but yeah

Yeah a ton of things were changed, but the game was basically half-made through Vanilla, lol. Plenty of things were added then. Changes to quest, zones, graphics (like dynamic weather), and content in general of course. But a weird impression to get any case. Vanilla is simply Classic, but enough about that.
Yeah that's kind of what I was getting at. You hear stories of quests and even loot tables being added to the game patches and patches later. When I hear "Vanilla" I think of what the game was like in it's initial state, but I guess if nothing had really changed fundamentally, then it doesn't really matter.
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,223
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: (° ͜ʖ͡°) Land of 4Head and Kapparonis

Is WoW the only thing that makes you go wall of text Nuno? :residentsleeper

Wat? How do you know where I got "pseudo-knowledge" from? It isn't even knowledge, it was just an impression I had for some reason... When looking up info for this or that, I wasn't like "oh, I want to learn EVERYTHING about Vanilla! :4head"....:residentsleeper
I was joking Sensei
 

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
31,967
Reaction score
23,756
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: (° ͜ʖ͡°) Land of 4Head and Kapparonis

He should tell us more about HxH. :4head
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,223
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: (° ͜ʖ͡°) Land of 4Head and Kapparonis

Good old days when you could have multiple posts full of text talking about manga and anime with Nuno...
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: (° ͜ʖ͡°) Land of 4Head and Kapparonis

Yes, mold him to be whatever suits your needs....cool :residentsleeper
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
Re: (° ͜ʖ͡°) Land of 4Head and Kapparonis

Good old days when you could have multiple posts full of text talking about manga and anime with Nuno...
RIP those days. Can't be bothered.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Re: (° ͜ʖ͡°) Land of 4Head and Kapparonis

wtf name change?
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
Re: (° ͜ʖ͡°) Land of 4Head and Kapparonis

m o l d b o y s ? :4head
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Re: (° ͜ʖ͡°) Land of 4Head and Kapparonis

M O L D N U N O :pogchamp
 
Top