first clean and typesetting | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

first clean and typesetting

DarKraD

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States

my first attempt and i'm planning to join a group so i started to practice

oh heres the raw...

advice? what i messed up on besides the missing bubble

Last edited:

Vato Loco!

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Doesn't look like you did any cleaning. Just some bad filtering. Still dust in the whites, blacks aren't close to being done, and thee grays look really nasty. Not to mention it's sized extremely poorly. Should be sized at 1100 or 1200. I don't typeset so I can't really give much criticism on that. However, you are crowding the bubbles. I suggest you look through the Cleaners Compendium to improve your cleaning.

Silver_Sea

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Yeah I have to agree that you need to do a lot more cleaning, lol.

About typesetting, I can offer the following advice, which I think is the general consensus among Manga Editors. To get more specific feedback, you should approach the group you are interested in.

1. Standard font sizes: Instead of changing the font sizes to fit the number of words in a bubble, you should choose a consistant font size to use throughout. Except for the cases when the words have been emphasized in the RAWs. Here, only Tsuna-kun and Kyoko-chan deserve larger fonts.

2. Don't italicize phrases, only italicize specific words. Change to the bold face of the font for your shouting.

3. Don't change the angles of your words randomly, ie. making a few words vertical and slanted when everything else is horizontal. The only exceptions are for SFX.

4. As mentioned before, you have too much crowding and bubbles are not centred. Use a smaller font and shift the words using the arrow keys until they fit PERFECTLY. Yes that is actually important as that way, the words embed themselves quietly into the art. You'd see what I mean if you try it.

I hope you try out these suggestions. If you familiarize yourself with typesetting you might find that it is like a musical fabric that you try your best to keep consistant, flowing smoothly and sharply. You will feel any "problems" in the typesetting like the jerky starts and stops of a person banging out an unfamiliar piece...ie, you know something is wrong once you see it, right away.

Good Luck ^_^ V

DarKraD

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
k thanks for the advice ill try my best

Obxist

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
well everyone have said the thing that need to be said ,.. and i am just going to add it up a little :D,..

don't fill up the dialog ballon with font,.. its better to have empty spaces a lot,.. some of the examples are
Hana Dialog : Is that .... and he seems busy <-- that two dialog is good, try to make it all like that...

Don't forget theres one more text that need to be inserted, you should delete that japanese insert text (which usually a summary from before) and try to redraw the lines,.. if you cant do it try to typesetting it first make it a little bigger and then just redraw the lines that need to be shown ,.. if you don't know how to redraw i suggest you keep learning photoshop by using pen tools and you can find the tips and tutorials of how to redraw around here

Last edited:

ddadain

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
You can change font sizes! XD Depending on the situation...

Besides...

Vato Loco is right. It isn't really a good attempt... NO filling in blacks, no redrawing...

Text EXPLODING out of the bubbles... As much as possible, you should leave some space... don't have the words too near the edges of the text bubbles... etc.