I bet he has it on him - that is the safest place after all. I wonder if something is under invisible mode - can you find/see it if you use a higher ranked item? Are there S-rank observers? I suppose Gustang might be able to see it’s there.
This makes the most sense in “tower logic” but the invisible-pocket part of SIU’s world feels like some of the least-solid aspects of the tower.
You need a pocket to translate tower languages (point we’ve seen not once but twice so far, and sort-of a third time recently where Evan spoke some language outside the scope of the pockets).
A pocket can place calls like a cell phone, albeit with unclear range and unclear constraints (higher pockets more capable but other than that...).
Point is with all the hostage-taking going on we don’t get told how pockets get handled. Language issue suggests hostage takers don’t take pockets, but then...why not place a call? Send a text? You can make it work by assuming jammers are a thing but SIU hasn’t spelled it out, yet.
What I’m saying is in tower logic carrying his mom’s pocket around seems logical but then you’d think it’d get taken when he got taken hostage to infiltrate the dog compound. If you see what I mean.
Speaking of S-rank, though, maybe he needs a high-rank pocket at some point and that’s where it comes into play again? You’d think the great warriors would have toppest-tier pockets.
It might even come up if Baam has any interaction with the "blue hole" elder. I imagine he'll be the oldest person related to F.U.G/and even not related Baam's met, Gustang and Headon not withstanding.
I like this idea but devil’s advocate is they don’t (yet) seem to know Baam is Arlene’s son. Maybe they’ll change their tune when they get a good look, though.