Question Forum Update ?

Temperance

The Red Spear
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 26, 2016
Messages
3,186
Reaction score
5,328
Gender
Male
Country
France
Hello there~:lambirb
It is about a quick question (might not be worth a thread but nvm) concerning the incoming forum update:
Is there an aproximative date for it? And also, what kind of changes can we expect ?
Thanks in advance~
 

Pat

Lost and Found
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 6, 2011
Messages
6,776
Reaction score
7,040
Gender
Male
Country
Gotei 13
There's not a definite time for the upgrade, the process may take several hours and I'm not always available for such a long period and Osso needs to be available too in case something goes wrong with the server, I expect it to happen in a few days time though.

The major change for the members will be the appearance of the forum, current themes are incompatible with the new format, so even if the theme names stay the same, they'll look different but I'm sure people will get used to them in no time. There'll be some other changes like emoji support, most of the changes are in the backend though, there won't be a big difference from users' point of view.
 

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
If possible please increase the Sig size

Only if possible.
 

Temperance

The Red Spear
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 26, 2016
Messages
3,186
Reaction score
5,328
Gender
Male
Country
France
If possible please increase the Sig size

Only if possible.
I think it has already been discussed before, but increasing the signature size means everyone can have a bigger signature..:invalid
Aaaand if I recall correctly , by doing so it might increase the time needed to load a page,
and those with bad connection might never get on the page:ohaielmo
However ,some changes might come in the future, so it may happen in the faaaar future~
 

Pat

Lost and Found
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 6, 2011
Messages
6,776
Reaction score
7,040
Gender
Male
Country
Gotei 13
If possible please increase the Sig size

Only if possible.
The current signature size isn't a limitation of the forum software and it can be increased anytime. However signatures which are too big may disrupt the forum experience for some users, the messages will become harder to distinguish between big signatures and consequently bigger file sizes will increase page load times which may cause trouble for users with slow connections or those on a limited plan. Perhaps we can relax some restrictions some day but it's not currently in our schedule.
 

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
600x200 is already plenty. Any bigger than that would just be obnoxious honestly.
Wait i don't mean resolution wise i meant size wise




I tried to make this my sig but it's size is beyond 500kb so it didn't happen.
 

Spirit

Friend
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 4, 2016
Messages
8,110
Reaction score
13,059
Age
27
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Wait i don't mean resolution wise i meant size wise




I tried to make this my sig but it's size is beyond 500kb so it didn't happen.
Ah. Well then that'd just put more stress on users with ISP issues and poor internet connections. Looks like Pat already gave the gist but bigger signatures break up the flow of browsing a lot. Can cause glitches etc. I don't use many forums but the ones I have that had massive sig size thresholds just made things annoying to read. Case in point - Too much visual noise overall.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
The major change for the members will be the appearance of the forum, current themes are incompatible with the new format
So... rip Flat Awesome? Damn. Such a clean theme. I hope the new lot have minimalistic options too. By the way, is this an upgrade to XF2?
 
  • Like
Reactions: syx

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
Ah. Well then that'd just put more stress on users with ISP issues and poor internet connections. Looks like Pat already gave the gist but bigger signatures break up the flow of browsing a lot. Can cause glitches etc. I don't use many forums but the ones I have that had massive sig size thresholds just made things annoying to read. Case in point - Too much visual noise overall.
Yeah big signature sometimes does it

But I am in another forum apart from MAL and MH(not active at all there)

(I am not sure whether I should link to my account here)

I have this signature which I tried to put here too but didn't happen but it didn't clutter the forum there.
 

Spirit

Friend
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 4, 2016
Messages
8,110
Reaction score
13,059
Age
27
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Yeah big signature sometimes does it

But I am in another forum apart from MAL and MH(not active at all there)

(I am not sure whether I should link to my account here)

I have this signature which I tried to put here too but didn't happen but it didn't clutter the forum there.
MH uses forum software with very different CSS to MAL. There's a lot of other things going on in the background, whereas no doubt MAL's software allows them to have the spare space I think.
 

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
MH uses forum software with very different CSS to MAL. There's a lot of other things going on in the background, whereas no doubt MAL's software allows them to have the spare space I think.
No no the forum I am mentioning has very similar layout as MH.

It's not MAL

Check your pm.
 

Pat

Lost and Found
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 6, 2011
Messages
6,776
Reaction score
7,040
Gender
Male
Country
Gotei 13
I tried to make this my sig but it's size is beyond 500kb so it didn't happen.
This file is 4.4 MB, I don't think we'll allow signatures that big even if we change the rule.

So... rip Flat Awesome? Damn. Such a clean theme. I hope the new lot have minimalistic options too. By the way, is this an upgrade to XF2?
New themes will also be Flat Awesome based but there're some differences. Yes, it'll be an upgrade to XF 2.
 

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
This file is 4.4 MB, I don't think we'll allow signatures that big even if we change the rule.



New themes will also be Flat Awesome based but there're some differences. Yes, it'll be an upgrade to XF 2.
Well Tux made me understand why we can't.
 
Top