Shounen - Fullmetal Alchemist by Arakawa Hiromu | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Fullmetal Alchemist by Arakawa Hiromu

Galth

Puella Magi
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Dunno why there isnt a thread for this yet, as it is by far the best series out there imo XD

Khal said:
Title: Full Metal Alchemist

Author: Arakawa Hirumo

Summary: The story is about two brothers, Alphonse and Edward Elric, who tried to revive their dead mother using alchemy, but something went horribly wrong: Alphonse was taken by the powers they unleashed, and Edward lost his leg. Shocked by what just happened, Edward tried to bring his brother back, but as a sacrifice to take back his brother's soul and fuse it into an armour, he had to transmute his own arm, leaving him with only two limbs left. Now Alphonse, whose soul is fixed to an armour, and Edward, who now got a mechanic leg and arm, have to find a way of retrieving their former bodies, and have started a quest to find or make the legendary "Philosopher's Stone" to reach their goal.

Details: 57 Chapters released, but ongoing, and it's from Shounen GanGan ( monthly magazine ), so more pages per chapter compared to Naruto. ( think 18 < 45 or something ). Dunno how many volumes that is though...

Why You Recommend It: Because it's so damn funny, the hasn't been a part of the manga yet that i don't like, because every character is cool or cute in his own way, and because the main character is strong to begin with :)

Where to Get It: www.stoptazmo.com/full_metal_alchemist/ is always a possibility, but i'm sure there are lot's of better sites around, try MangaTraders if you like... though as always, IRC is the best option ;)
So, 59 chapters so far, 60 coming soon. Discuss, tell me i'm the manga is great and why, and perhaps decide you want to do translations for this awesome manga, in which case you can pm an admin and get the series it's own subforum, which would be awesome. =D

As this thread is for discussion too, it might get spoilerish from now on, but for this post only i'll protect you by using tabs ;)

So, interesting things going on lately, the second Ishbal campaign starting, the nosebleeding scene of Lisa showering showing us a strange tattoo on her back...... homunculus? something else? time will tell. I wonder if we'll see an all-out war in Ishbal now, and what Scar plans to do from this point on. Also, i wonder if his arm is the same as in the anime... O_o

Full Metal Alchemists Forum is now closed. All discussion can now return to this thread. To view the old forum follow this link.

Last edited by a moderator:

destinator

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Re: Full Metal Alchemist

Uhm doenst that mean that the manga progresses really slow ? 4x18 pages or 1x45 ? Just as a question because I havent read it yet. Or did i get something wrong maybe :D?

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

Yes, it does progress more slowly then SJ manga's, but there's a lot of manga's that are published monthly btw, like for example 666Satan[br]Posted on: June 12, 2006, 03:25:14 AM_________________________________________________Another thing about FMA is the complete lack of dragonball z-ish powerups ( well, not complete lack perhaps, but far far less ). No big "change in strength" of the main character either, he's relatively strong in the beginning, and he stays about the same level.

destinator

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany

I may check it out later, but 60 D.Gray-Man and 108 Death Note chapters are still waiting >.< but it sounds interesting.I just know the name from many ps2 games I've seen here.

Katekyo

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score

I watched the anime and saw the movie and I absolutely love them both. I'm only on like volume 6 or 7 of the manga but it's very good also. Has a lot of MAJOR differences with the anime, which is why I started reading it. I don't know which I like better but hopefully the manga impresses me more.

barbapapa

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

The manga is one of the best ones I've read ever. Massively better than the anime too, especially after volume 7 when Ling first shows up and all.

btw, chapter 60 got released yesterday: check it out over at www.zomgfta.com
the only ones that are still Editing it, praise them \o/

Tamerlane

=D
Reaction score
Country
United States

I love the FMA series. :love

Khal said:
Discuss, tell me i'm the manga is great and why, and perhaps decide you want to do translations for this awesome manga, in which case you can pm an admin and get the series it's own subforum, which would be awesome. =D
I would be soooo happy if this manga was picked up by Manga Helpers. Currently it seems like there is only one group really doing Edited Mangas, and even just translations would be wonderful. FMA already has a very large fanbase and it could bring some new people here that would contribute to the forums a lot.

*casts her vote for FMA*

o_o

karasu

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia

i cast my vote to FMA too.. i love that series..but it's going too slowly..

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

Ah, well, i remember someone telling me that "they" are planning to make a few (6?) more anime episodes after the ending and the movie... that would be awesome. Perhaps it was Miso who said that? I'll have to ask her when she gets back. XD

Anyway, Ling...
was that the person that turned into the second Greed later? I'm mixing up names lately... no laughing, karasu XD

ladiv

Reaction score
Country
Canada

hi...i'm new here...and this is my first post :redface

this is a really good manga...i actually prefer it to the anime
i didn't like how the anime made the series seem sad...plus..it didn't have as much humour

and in response to the spoiler question...it is ling

karasu

Reaction score
Country
Australia

yes it is ling.. no i'm not *chuckle* laughing at all..really :D you didn't mess up, why should i *chuckle* laugh?

*slaps* - Khal
*dodge* - Karasu
*watches as Karasu stumbles into the prepared "spike-gap" trap* - Khal
*変わり身の術!! (Kawarimi no Jutsu!!) FLASH!! watches Khal fell into the "spike-gap" instead* - karasu

fireballer666

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

The newest chapter is awesome.....but I really dislike the crimson alchemist, he pisses me off....anyways...EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS SERIES

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

fireballer666 said:
The newest chapter is awesome.....but I really dislike the crimson alchemist, he pisses me off....anyways...EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS SERIES
Hehe, he's even worse in the anime ;)

karasu

Reaction score
Country
Australia

hm.. i love the flashbacks..
but if they're slow, i wish they would've continue the storyline instead...

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

i havent gotten around to reading the series yet but i have been meaning to after i was gyped by the anime (the movie left some closure but why the fuck did it have to end in the real world?). It is just a little tedious re-reading what i saw in the anime but people say that stuff is different (i think it was FMA, maybe another manga) even in the stuff that followed the manga, so at what point does the anime actually branch off from the manga so i can read from there.

babbitblob

Reaction score
Country
United States

kimbley actually has some twisted character development in the manga. instead of just being a bomb maniac, now he's a bomb maniac with some screwed up sort of honor in his killings.

and basque gran has now rosen a few thousand places in the fma rankings x.x

Katekyo

Reaction score

I skimmed volumes 1-5, they seemed like the same. When Greed captures Al it gets different because the whole Humonculus thing is a little different, they transform and such. So look for that, I think it's volume 5 or 6.

ladiv

Reaction score
Country
Canada

the first couple episodes of the anime were different from the manga...the whole flash back about how he became a state alchemist was different and happened later on...and there were a few extra stories in the beginning...

barbapapa

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

@ NeoShweaty: Check it out starting from volume 7 if you don't want to bother with reading it all over again (which I actually encourage, there's a lot of subtle differences even in the early volumes)

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

Well, from the very beginning there are a lot of differences, and what's wrong with reading 7 volumes again? It's like 2/3 hours of having fun.

Anyway, the anime never "splits up" from the manga, they just never where the same and their stories start going further and further from eachother as time passes... The last 20 or so episodes of the FMA anime were fully original, and the third anime episode was already "filler". ( Well, not really filler, as the anime is independant, but it wasnt in the manga anyway, the whole "doll" thing ).