Gear 2 vs. Gear 3 | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Gear 2 vs. Gear 3

Lohnt

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Greece
Re: Gear 2 vs. Gear 3 (latest chapters) - possible spoilers

How is gear 2 a little stronger than gear 3? Gear 2 didn't do all that much against leopard Lucci, Gear 3 almost knocked his ass out, he was seeing little birdies flying around his head when he landed on the BC ship. Please stop posting this baseless fan-boy bull**** about gear 2 being better than gear 3.

I prefer Gear 2 myself, don't take it personally, it's more inventive and less Popey'ish, however Gear 3 is clearly stronger, IT WOULDN't BE A NUMBER HIGHER OTHERWISE OMG LOLZKK !!exclamationpoint!!!

kaiten

Well after the latest chapter (423), I would have to say Gear 3 is stronger than Gear 2, due to the fact that it's the only attack of Luffy's which has caused significant damage to Lucci, and only with one hit.

And regarding the consequences of using each Gear, Gear 2's side-effects are just as potent if not more so, than Gear 3's. Not only does Gear 2 physically exhaust Luffy, it also eats away at his vitality. However with Gear 3, it only shrinks Luffy for a time equal to the time he used Hone Fuusen.

gigantor21

Reaction score
Country
United States

kaiten said:
Well after the latest chapter (423), I would have to say Gear 3 is stronger than Gear 2, due to the fact that it's the only attack of Luffy's which has caused significant damage to Lucci, and only with one hit.

And regarding the consequences of using each Gear, Gear 2's side-effects are just as potent if not more so, than Gear 3's. Not only does Gear 2 physically exhaust Luffy, it also eats away at his vitality. However with Gear 3, it only shrinks Luffy for a time equal to the time he used Hone Fuusen.
I wonder about that...why is it that Gear 3 doesn't seem to wear him out in any other way? I would think that continuously throwing all that enourmous ship-smashing weight around just after using Gear 2 would make even someone like Luffy exhausted--though that may just set in after the fight ends. So can you really say they're equally potent in how much lasting damage is done to Luffy's body?

shinwei

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States

refii said:
However we have seen:
Gear 2 can break steel (Tekkai)
Tekkai is not steel. It's SUPPOSED to be as hard as iron, but apparently when used by different CP9 members it varies in hardness. Lucci's Tekkai is much harder than Fukuro's.

Both Gear 2 and Gear 3 can break through Lucci's Tekkai, but only Gear 3 was able to break through that big steel gate at the underwater passage entrance in Chapter 403.

kaiten

gigantor21 said:
I wonder about that...why is it that Gear 3 doesn't seem to wear him out in any other way? I would think that continuously throwing all that enourmous ship-smashing weight around just after using Gear 2 would make even someone like Luffy exhausted--though that may just set in after the fight ends. So can you really say they're equally potent in how much lasting damage is done to Luffy's body?
I'm actually believe Gear 2's side-effect is more potent than Gear 3's. However, since this is just speculation and there is a high probability of their being additional side effects to Gear 3, I wanted to be more conservative with my opinion.

DesiSkull

Reaction score

i say gear 2 is still save to use comparing to gear 3. i rate gear 3 as double edge sowrd. specially cuz its his first using these gears to fight. so his body isnt used to it. and since after using gear 3 he becomes chibi-luffy. he cant fight like what with someone like lucci. thts why he had to hid after using gear3. even though its stronger it lacks the speed. which is bad and thts why luffy needs to catch lucci off guard to gear 3 finish him off. but we all saw luffy gearing to 2 in the last chapter. we shoould see if he finally gonna combine these 2 gears or we get to see something new.

kaiten

DesiSkull said:
i say gear 2 is still save to use comparing to gear 3. i rate gear 3 as double edge sowrd. specially cuz its his first using these gears to fight. so his body isnt used to it. and since after using gear 3 he becomes chibi-luffy. he cant fight like what with someone like lucci. thts why he had to hid after using gear3. even though its stronger it lacks the speed. which is bad and thts why luffy needs to catch lucci off guard to gear 3 finish him off. but we all saw luffy gearing to 2 in the last chapter. we shoould see if he finally gonna combine these 2 gears or we get to see something new.
Gear 2 is just as much a double edged sword. If Luffy uses Gear 2 for too long, he'll become too exhausted to do anything and will probably pass out. I came to this conclusion due to the fact that he released Gear 2 while it was effective against Lucci, and moved on to Gear 3 in order to recover his stamina and only returned to it in order to finish the fight quickly, before the Buster Call could interfere again.

DesiSkull

Reaction score

kaiten said:
Gear 2 is just as much a double edged sword. If Luffy uses Gear 2 for too long, he'll become too exhausted to do anything and will probably pass out. I came to this conclusion due to the fact that he released Gear 2 while it was effective against Lucci, and moved on to Gear 3 in order to recover his stamina and he only returned to it in order to finish the fight quickly, before the Buster Call interfered again.
either way. its only matter of time before his body geting used to gear2 but on the other hand doesnt matter how much he get used to gear3. getting chibi-luffy will always be double edge sword.

kaiten

Even if his body gets use to it, it doesn't alleviate the previous problem of shortening his life span, which I believe is worse than being super small for a moment.

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece

Super small during the battle thus leaving you open to every single attack and you have no way to block your opponents attacks..

or

You life shortens, after the battle is done, thus you can get to a Chopper and likely save yourself?

kaiten

How can Chopper save Luffy from his shortened lifespan?

DesiSkull

Reaction score

i think you are taking little too seriously that lifespan shorten issue.

kaiten

It is serious. Would you rather live longer or be short?

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece

Would you rather win the fight and worry about living longer later, or lose the fight and both you and your nakama die?

One life for the life of many, it's simple, it's not a hard concept, and Luffy has made his decision.

bax

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

refii said:
Would you rather win the fight and worry about living longer later, or lose the fight and both you and your nakama die?
Don't worry about it. Luffy won't let his nakama dies. If not, they would never been at EL at the first place to rescue Robin. As for the gears, I would prefer gear2 because speed is essential in a fight. Just like any other mangas or games, it doesn't matter how strong you are if you can't hit anything.

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece

I think when it comes down to it it's like others have said before, Gear 3 should be a finishing move, when it comes down to a final move to decide the winner, Gear 3 will beat out just about anything the GL has to throw against Luffy, but due to the aftereffect, it's just not manageable in battle, unless Luffy gets really really good at it and can move around that extra weight at a faster speed.

kaiten

Could it be that Gear 3 isn't complete yet, since it seemed like he was just experimenting with the concept against Lucci. If this is the case, then the complete form would probably be becoming a full giant, which would not only make him uber cool, but also tie him in to the giantism which runs in his "family" (ie. Blackbeard, Jaguar D. Saul, and maybe Gold Roger)

DesiSkull

Reaction score

yeh tht could be possible. but it will take time for luffy to perfect it. so for luffy to lucci is that lucci nneds to caught off gaurd and out smarting him that moment with one big bang finishing move. fight directly with lucci at this moment would be very dangerous for luffy cuz even with gear2 hes losing touch.

bax

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

Furthermore, I believe Luffy just learned how to use Gear 2 in this arc, presumably in the fight against Blueno... It's natural for Luffy to not discover the weakness and after effects of that move

kaiten said:
Could it be that Gear 3 isn't complete yet, since it seemed like he was just experimenting with the concept against Lucci.
I agree with that... Personally I don't see why Gear 3 is stronger than Gear 2. In battles, speed is more important than strength.. No use if you can hit hard but can't connects the punches. Perhaps, we'll see more of Gear 3 later on.. (I'm imagining Gear 3 punhing all that Buster Call ships away)

Analog Fish

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Is it possible that Luffy could fill his bones with more then just air for gear 3? I mean Luffy could only store as much air as he can but could it be possible to put like water into it or maybe helium?