Mag Talk General Manga Magazine Discussion

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
In an attempt to have the different fanbases for each manga magazine interact, I wanted to make a topic where discussion of every magazine is not only permitted, but encouraged.

Having said that, standard rules still apply. No fighting. No insulting other users. Be respectful to each other. Use spoiler tags when discussing spoilers, etc.

With that said, hopefully this works out well and we all have interesting discussions.

Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I like this thread idea! I think a good starting point would be for people to say what magazines they read stuff from (let’s say more than a couple of series), give us all a bit of knowledge about each other.

Like here’s what I read:

Grand Jump
Weekly Shonen Sunday
Weekly Shonen Jump
Grand Jump Mucha

I only read two series from Magazine weekly (Edens Zero and To Your Eternity), though i do a bunch of that, young jump, and champion as volumes. How about all of you?

OtterBrigade

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I read a bunch of Shonen Jump weekly, some Shonen Sunday, Champion and Young Jump stuff and buying the volumes for To Your Eternity and Fire Force for Shonen Magazine but not reading anything weekly.

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Reaction score
Country
United States
Unfortunately, I can't participate all that much in here. I mostly read WSJ. I think I only read two series outside of it, and that's Berserk and Eden's Zero.

I do eventually plan on branching out, though. Just waiting for the right opportunity.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I read a bunch of Shonen Jump weekly, some Shonen Sunday, Champion and Young Jump stuff and buying the volumes for To Your Eternity and Fire Force for Shonen Magazine but not reading anything weekly.
Fire Force is one I definitely want to read. As an aside, question for everyone. Do you prefer weekly or monthly series? Do you feel there's an appreciable quality difference between the two?

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
I read lot of manga including WSJ,WSM, Bessatsu,Weekly Young Jump etc.
Shogukkan, Berserk(don't remember the magazine name) etc.

OtterBrigade

Reaction score
Country
Canada
As an aside, question for everyone. Do you prefer weekly or monthly series? Do you feel there's an appreciable quality difference between the two?
Generally weekly. I do read some monthly series but usually I just wait for them to be licensed and buy the volumes even if the scans are caught up.

MangAniMY

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
honestly, I just read everything that caught my eye that are available in English

I read everything on Jump on the week(day) they are out.

everything else I read whenever new TL are available or binged when I have the time

favourite magazine is I don't have any, since I care more about the series than where it is serialized, though admittedly most of them are from Jump & Sunday due to how much easier to find TL of them (especially considering where I am from), and Magazine series have been more frequent these days.

I don't really mind weekly or monthly (or any other distribution) as long as it is somewhat consistent,

only really buy series that are available locally and of those I really2 enjoy(or on a discount) so I don't really buy a lot of manga (I have hundreds of local graphic novels/comics though, and only a few dozens volumes of manga, would have more but some were lost a while back)

Last edited:

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Do you guys believe WSJ by not allowing Attack on Titan made a historical mistake?

AOT later in a lesser known magazine Bessatsu managed to sell 91 million+ copies in 28 volumes.

If it was published in WSJ do you think it would have gained this popularity of even more?

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately, I can't participate all that much in here. I mostly read WSJ. I think I only read two series outside of it, and that's Berserk and Eden's Zero.

I do eventually plan on branching out, though. Just waiting for the right opportunity.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Fire Force is one I definitely want to read. As an aside, question for everyone. Do you prefer weekly or monthly series? Do you feel there's an appreciable quality difference between the two?
My terrible answer is that i like twice a month magazines! Like seriously, Grand Jump has that release schedule and it’s juuust short enough that i don’t forget what happened, but long enough that there’s no pressure to rush. WSJ and Sunday can be exhausting weekly

revo68

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I read series from different magazines tbh but mainly from Weekly Shonen Jump since its easily available.

For series that i own (physical volumes cause i dont like to own digital volumes), I have slam dunk, yu yu hakusho, yotsuba&, silver spoon, planetes & solanin.

Planning to buy more physical volumes.

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Reaction score
Country
United States
I read series from different magazines tbh but mainly from Weekly Shonen Jump since its easily available.

For series that i own (physical volumes cause i dont like to own digital volumes), I have slam dunk, yu yu hakusho, yotsuba&, silver spoon, planetes & solanin.

Planning to buy more physical volumes.
I can understand the sentiment, but manga made digitally is pretty common nowadays. So I believe reading digitally-made manga on the latest iPad will likely be higher quality than physical, I believe.

revo68

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I can understand the sentiment, but manga made digitally is pretty common nowadays. So I believe reading digitally-made manga on the latest iPad will likely be higher quality than physical, I believe.
Nothing against digital manga though since i have a Viz subscription & read from various online readers. But for volumes i prefer the physical version over digital ones. Just a personal preference.

OtterBrigade

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Do you guys believe WSJ by not allowing Attack on Titan made a historical mistake?

AOT later in a lesser known magazine Bessatsu managed to sell 91 million+ copies in 28 volumes.

If it was published in WSJ do you think it would have gained this popularity of even more?
The problem is it would be almost a completely different manga. Monthly and weekly manga present themselves kinda different (I assume since monthly can get through more content without a cliffhanger) plus we have no idea how much editorial influence would change since not only is it a different magazine but a completely different company. I do think it probably would have done well though. I haven't seen it since season 1 first aired nor have I read any manga but from what I hear it seems pretty well written and has a pretty large hook in chapter 1 that I don't really see it being axed right away at least.

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Reaction score
Country
United States

I think they tried to scratch that itch with The Promised Neverland, and that's a pretty huge success, even outselling Haikyuu and My Hero Academia now, I believe.

Tymano

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I tend to read a bunch of manga from Sunday and Jump as they update, although I'm caught up with manga from magazine, Jump SQ, and a few other magazines as well.

For a question, do you guys prefer reading manga as they update, or do you prefer long binges of series, I feel like my reading habits lately favor me reading many chapters at once over being constantly updated.

Stivie

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I read more shonen jump, but it has manga on the young jump and jump sq which draws a lot more to my attention, and they seem more interesting too.
I think the magazine's manga and especially the sunday are much less flashy. Although I think MAO better than Samurai 8.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You are not the only one,i even think now like that.
I mean god yeah, Mao is pretty great. Like i enjoy Samurai 8, but it isn’t on that level.

OniluapL

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I don't follow any magazine like I do WSJ (having complete access to the series, and legally now really helps, it's fun to judge when you have the whole context), but I do hage some other magazines I read a few manga from it. There are some that have a appeal for me in that, if I know a series is from there I'm immediately more interested, which are mainly Afternoon and Spirits. Afternoon, by the way, is currently a big favorite, I LOVE Houseki no Kuni, Vinland Saga and Blue Period e do decently enjoy a lot of other series. And they have some good classics as well!

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
WSJ and WSM mainly. Which helps me to see how each title from each magazine does in sales. What 5toubun is doing is having really tons of merit (a WSM romcom which has sold more than almost entire Shonen Jump). Now I'm curious if Fire Force manga sales will get a reaction similar with anime to the one 5toubun has received.

Current WSM roster has a lot of jewels tbh (5toubun, Fire Force, Eden Zero which I'm enjoying more than Fairy Tail, Juliet, Kanojo Okarishimasu, Blue Lock, Bakemonogatari, Hitman if you aren't annoyed by Seo antics, Orient if people starts noticing it, etc). I only miss a new manga by Yamada-kun author.