Shounen Gintama by Sorachi Hideaki

LoS

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 5, 2007
Messages
3,308
Reaction score
1,368
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
So if I wanted to try an get into this story, I have read the first volume/maybe 2 volumes, should I just read the entire manga, or start watching the anime?

Because it's one or the other, there are just way too many of each as of now. If I do one and enjoy it enough I will get back and complete the other at a later date.
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
So if I wanted to try an get into this story, I have read the first volume/maybe 2 volumes, should I just read the entire manga, or start watching the anime?

Because it's one or the other, there are just way too many of each as of now. If I do one and enjoy it enough I will get back and complete the other at a later date.

I think you should watch the anime as the voice acting is just one of the best out there and it adds a lot to the series :amuse
 

Goral

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2007
Messages
1,665
Reaction score
1,994
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
I agree. From my experience in most cases manga > anime but in Gintama's case where there are tons of text (more than in most seinens) anime is just better. Music, voice acting and everything in colour makes it a better experience. And there are no fillers in the anime (well, almost).
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Yes the anime is ok plus you almost don't care about the order of the episode.
I think most of the fanbase is an anime only anyway
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
Most of the fanbase is anime only because of the state of the Edited Mangas. Until a few months ago we were missing tens of chapters.

And even the anime was in a somewhat similar case until rumbel decided to sub it.

But latelly gintama has become more famous and well known.
 

Goral

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2007
Messages
1,665
Reaction score
1,994
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
It's a shame but that only shows that too much text in a shounen is just too much for kids today to handle. If there were more boobs and fights they wouldn't cancel it, I'm pretty sure of that.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
There is also the fact that Gintama is full of references that are very hard to see if you are not Japanese. It doesn't bother me too much but I sometime think I miss half of the fun of this serie.
 

kusanagi_k

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2010
Messages
55
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
as usual, pretty dead in here.

anybody else enjoyed the Gintama-Sketdan * Sketdan-Gintama specials in WSJ ?
c'est Magnifique!!
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
I only read the sketdance part but i did enjoy it were both parts written in co-op or each author wrote his part?
 

shukketsumaru

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2011
Messages
376
Reaction score
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
There was a Gintama/Sket Dance Special? When, Where...How? Why did I not know this? There better be someone Editing this.
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
the sket dance part can be read at mangafox the gintama one I'm not sure.
 

kusanagi_k

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2010
Messages
55
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
Yorozuya in SD clubroom? SD in Yorozuya house? The integration/chemistry of the G-SD stories/charas were so...seamless (not like some..other..crossovers)

But i guess that's a given, considering apparently the creator of SD apprenticed under Sorachi-sensei, & they are on good terms! \(^o^)/ (kinda like Oda & Shimabukuro of Toriko i guess) im sure they collaborated

& the two jokers REALLY broke the 4th wall & milked the fact that the two anime share two seiyuus too -_-"



YOROZUYA & SCHOOL-YOROZUYA FTW!!!!!
 

Goral

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2007
Messages
1,665
Reaction score
1,994
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
The results of 3rd popularity poll (source):

The Lurker said:
1st Sakata Gintoki 4091 votes (→same position)
2nd Hijikata Toushirou 3213 votes (↑ from 3rd)
3rd Kamui 3015 votes (↑from 7th)
4th Okita Sougo 2458 votes (↓ from 2nd)
5th Takasugi Shinsuke 2048 votes (↓ from 4th)
6th Katsura Kotaro 1712 votes (↓ from 5th)
7th Kagura 1565 votes (↓ from 6th)
8th Shimura Shinpachi 911 votes (→from 8th)
9th Yamazaki Sagaru 822 votes (→ from 9th)
10th Shimura Otae 659 votes (↑from 17th)
11th Tsukuyo 534 votes (↓from 10th)
12th Elizabeth 447 votes (↓from 11th)
13th Yagyuu Kyubei 443 votes (↑from 14th)
14th Kondo Isao 372 votes (↑from 15th)
15th Sakamoto Tatsuma 349 votes (↓from 12th)
16th Sorachi Hideaki 317 votes (→from 16th)
17th Hasegawa Taizo 259 votes (→from 17th)
18th Sadaharu 257 votes
19th Pandemonium 230 votes (the larva that Shinpachi kissed) XD
20th Sarutobi Ayame 199 votes:
21st Abuto 131 votes
22nd Okita Mitsuba 149 votes
23rd Kawakami Bansai 131 votes
24th Kijima Matako 126 votes
25th Justaway 125 votes
26th Yoshida Shouyo 119 votes
27th Itou Kamotarou 117 votes
28th Hattori Zenzou 105 votes
29th Ketsuno Seimei 94 votes
30th Tama 73 votes
31st Prince Hata 64 votes
32nd and 33rd Sachi 60 votes
Gedoumaru 60 votes
34th Chinpirako 57 votes
35th Mutsu 56 votes
36th nil
37th Ayumu Toujou 53 votes
38th Tokugawa Shige Shige 49 votes
39th Matsudaira Katakuriko 48 votes
40th Sougo de S(adist) Okita the 3rd 47 votes

A message from Sorachi sensei: “Shinpachi is a miracle!!”

The guys at http://yorozuya.baratie.org/ has reported that the 36th is left to be empty. As of now, it's yet to be published. There's a rumor going around that timeskip!Kagura holds the same position with Mutsu, which explains the empty rank.
lol
Shinpachi is 8th for a 3rd time in a row. And what does 8 resemble? 8-) 8-) 8-) - he really is just glasses, rotfl. And Otae has risen in ranks the most. She even overcame Tsukuyo :D.
 
Last edited:

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Hijikata beat Sougo ! I guess that can make a funny joke.

I've started Sket Dance, the similarities of the 2 series are just awful. However each one manages to have it's originality. That's quite surprising. I would love to see the second part
 

Oni_James

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
858
Reaction score
190
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Catalonia
No Takatin???:(
Such a nice character and already out of the polls... Jokes aside, i'm glad Hijikata made Sougo dropp his "throne", as k-dom said that may make a funny joke xD Knowing Sorachi he may introduce the joke in the next chapters...
Kamui is a really liked character, isn't he?
Now that the anime is back i need to catch up with the manga too, i've only read up to 308 and then i was busy and dunno why stopped reading. I've also read the Sket Dance Crossover, the Sket Dance part, but not the Gintama part.
 

Goral

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2007
Messages
1,665
Reaction score
1,994
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
The raw of 351st chapter is out (grab it from raw-bunko) along with two colored pages. Fewer people voted than last time which is a bad sign.

 
Last edited:

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
That's weird considering Gintama has been ranking realy well lately :worrybunny

I guess the two polls were too close and that's why fewer people voted.
 

Azhi

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 9, 2011
Messages
7
Reaction score
2
Gender
Hidden
Country
Australia
......I want a time machine and reverse back to the 2nd popularity poll OTL''

Didn't except this.. I was thinking it would be
1. Gin
2. Hiji or Oki
3. Hiji or Oki
4. Takasugi
5. Kagu or Zura
6. Kagu or Zura
...
or at least have a stable top 4 but...

>_> Kamui just ruined my whole week. He just replaced Zura in top 5 charas,... and beat Kaguraaa ;_; Already saw a pixiv fanart of Kagura getting mad at him, makes sense now x.x. (Does this also mean they'll make Kamui chara goods instead of Katsura now? Dx)

Shinpachi is always a hachi isn't he... Otae was also a nice surprise although I wish Sacchan can be higher... GinHiji fujoshi are lucky ._. hope Okita can regain his throne, and maybe bring Kagura with him xD

And Kamui, Okita, Takasugi... the 170cm trio are all together now!???
>_>

This poll had fewer voters than the 2nd? ._. It was conducted in February the 7th right...? The anime's return now should bring everything back to normal...(hopefully) Well volume 39 is selling kind of better compared to 38 probably due to the anime, at least that's one good sign...
 
Top