Discussion Gon B Fraid

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ever notice how there are very few times in the manga where Gon is legitimately terrified.
There are plenty of times he's shocked or startled. But frightened not so much. Gon is
insane and is quite willing to throw away his life for the sake of his pride. So I don't
think Gon is scared of dangerous situations. But something else. Let's analyze Gon's fear.

Ok the events in which Gon was terrified

1. When the Fox Bear Mom was trying to protect her cub
2. When Hisoka was having his crazy moment in Zevil Island
3. When meeting Mike face to face
4. When fighting Hisoka in Heavens Arena and he was on the offensive

If you can think of anymore just post it.

But let's look at this list

number two is most likely due to Hisoka's nen. Gon didn't know nen then
and didn't what nen was. He just knew he felt some ominous force from Hisoka.
A bad vibe.

But how about the other 3?

The fox bear cub. This is before meeting Kite. I think here Gon was just
scared he was going to die or get seriously injured. Who wouldn't?

Numbers 3 and 4 are where things get interesting.

Gon was afraid of Mike. But only after seeing him face to face.
Gon thought nothing of the fact of seeing two bounty hunters
skeletonize within seconds. Gon even was going to climb
the wall. He thought nothing of Mike. Until he saw Mike.

When Gon was fighting Hisoka he wasn't shown to be scared
when Hisoka was attacking him. It was when Hisoka had
Hisoka scary face and said he wanted to destroy Gon and
Gon was the one attacking. Gon thinks "I'm scared but I have to go on"

Throughout the manga Gon has shown he values his own pride
over his own life. Gon vs Hanzo is a great example of this.
Gon would rather die than admit he's lost.

But how did Gon get that way? Why does he hold so little value for his own life.

I think it has to do with the fact of Kite killing the Fox Bear mother.
As far as we know this is Gon's first encounter with death. I think
Gon realized some things from this encounter and that is 1. Either
him or the fox bear mother would have died 2. Kite killed
the fox bear mother but sometimes killing is justifiably.
3. The fragility of life. One sword slash and this giant bear was dead.
I think Gon then saw his own mortality. That sooner or later he would die too.
I think this is also why Gon doesn't seem to mind murder all that much.

I dunno I'm sorta still thinking about this.

But what do you think?
 

Thousan D Sunny

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 6, 2012
Messages
16
Reaction score
4
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I think your number 2 was because of Hisoka's killing intend.
We have seen something similar recently, when Illumi hunted Killuah and Alluka. He revealed himself to Killuah by threatening Hisoka.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think your number 2 was because of Hisoka's killing intend.
We have seen something similar recently, when Illumi hunted Killuah and Alluka. He revealed himself to Killuah by threatening Hisoka.
Yeah. I think so too. It's the other 3 that more interest me.
 

Popo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2008
Messages
165
Reaction score
435
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I can't believe that I missed this thread. Very good topic, mrsticky005! I really want to elaborate on what I think in a later post, but for now I'll settle for praising you.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I can't believe that I missed this thread. Very good topic, mrsticky005! I really want to elaborate on what I think in a later post, but for now I'll settle for praising you.
Thanks.

Yeah I'd be pretty interested to hear your thoughts. Or really anybody's thoughts.
 

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
6,406
Reaction score
4,075
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Actually I think that Gon's fear is actually an instinct. I think we talked about this somewhere, but Gon is a beast. In the literal sense of the word. The fear is that natural reaction He has when his own body can measure that slice of death coming. Even so, He avoids it by overcoming with pure will.

I think that is one of his main attractive points: he beats his beast side by being a "beast" as humans sees him. He's a double paradigma of the men that became a beast and the beast who became a men. His fear is the way He travels trough both. And if I'm not wrong, He was scared other times during Chimera Arc and York Shin right?
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Actually I think that Gon's fear is actually an instinct. I think we talked about this somewhere, but Gon is a beast. In the literal sense of the word. The fear is that natural reaction He has when his own body can measure that slice of death coming. Even so, He avoids it by overcoming with pure will.

I think that is one of his main attractive points: he beats his beast side by being a "beast" as humans sees him. He's a double paradigma of the men that became a beast and the beast who became a men. His fear is the way He travels trough both. And if I'm not wrong, He was scared other times during Chimera Arc and York Shin right?
Hm I think that's a good way of putting it.
 
Top