Discussion Guillermo del Toro Develops Monster as Possible HBO Show

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
The entertainment news website Deadline reported on Wednesday that acclaimed director Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy, Pacific Rim) is developing Naoki Urasawa's suspense manga Monster into a possible television series for HBO. Del Toro and Steven Thompson (Dr. Who, Sherlock) will write the pilot that del Toro will direct. Deadline describes the story:
The thriller is about the worldwide search by a young doctor for the most evil sociopath that has ever lived. He is a 12-year old boy, and the doctor's decision to save his life has unwittingly unleashed a Pandora's Box that leaves the doc battling to stop a plot of mass genocide.​
Angry Films' Don Murphy (live-action Transformers) and Susan Montford are executive producers along with del Toro. Thompson will serve as a co-executive producer, and Shogakukan — the publisher of the original manga — will be a consulting producer.



New Line Cinema acquired the feature film rights to the manga in 2005, and even assigned a writer, Josh Olson (Batman: Gotham Knight), to pen two possible films. However, Deadline reported that the project grew too big for a feature or two. Del Toro then convinced Urasawa to allow him to tackle the project.
Found on ANN. What do you guys think? I know Monster has been in development hell for a while, but I think this time it might actually happen. A mini series sounds way more convincing than a 2 hour Hollywood movie, for one thing. Secondly, Monster's storyline has a cross-cultural appeal to it that means it'll be easier to adapt.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I also agree that adapting Monster for a TV show would be much easier and better than a movie. HBO is one of the most popular networks out there so hopefully it will give Naoki Urasawa and manga in general a boost.

My only concern is that I don't want them to whitewash Dr. Tenma. Hopefully they can find an Asian actor who can speak German and/or English.
 

jakensama

MH Senpai
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
302
Reaction score
140
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Monster...is one of my absolute favorites, if I had to pick one anime series I consider best this would be it. HBO miniseries is perfect as they could minimize cuts of story (unlike a movie) and there won't be concern about censorship. Del Toro seems like a really good fit, I hope this actually happens.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
A mini-series perhaps, but not a long running one. I think two or three seasons should be suffice for HBO to convey Naoki's magnum opus close to perfection. Obviously there's going to be some changes here and there, but hopefully they won't ruin the original work. I'm supporting the idea, in general.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I hope they make it different enough that it feels like its own thing. I definitely don't want to see a scene for scene adaptation.
 
Top