Discussion - Gun control | Page 9 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Gun control

Reebi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yet they oppose any form of Gun Control and uses the 2nd Amendment as a pissing excuse. Maybe the members do support Gun Laws, but that doesn't change the fact that the NRA itself is the biggest obstacle that gives the American people (including the victims and their families) the big middle finger.
The NRA is far too powerful as an organization that it negatively impacts the country with their barbaric activity, that's why I said they deserved to be nuked off of the planet.
In Canada, we have a right to moose arms. :)

Why are the NRA so powerful? I mean, their arguments sound like someone huffed paint fumes.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
In Canada, we have a right to moose arms. :)

Why are the NRA so powerful? I mean, their arguments sound like someone huffed paint fumes.
Basically because it is a very well funded organization with support from the weapon industry that is incredibly effective at being loud and lobbying the government. It also helps that they make absolutely no concessions when it comes to gun rights and every attempt at anything within the vicinity gun control is met with their own ideas to increase gun availability and circulation (say, suggesting the answer to mass shootings was to arm school teachers).

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
What gets me is why do teachers need guns now? Let’s solve a big issue with an even bigger one :notrust A kid could steal it and how many teachers are trained to use it in a non-lethal manner? Think of the lawsuit for killing a student with or without that student on a killing spree.
They don't. Gun advocates are suggesting this as a "solution" to distract from and get attention away from stricter gun control. It's not about solving anything but trying to give more people more guns. There are far more issues that pop up that's not even related to teachers reacting to mass shooting, but the temperament of teachers themselves.

Onyx Darkmatter

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Gun Industry and Gun Culture go hand-to-hand. Despite that the NRA is considered a nonprofit entity, they behave like some for-profit business.
The entity also has around 5 million members and earned almost half a billion USD of income, which is a bit hefty if you think about it.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
It also helps that they make absolutely no concessions when it comes to gun rights and every attempt at anything within the vicinity gun control is met with their own ideas to increase gun availability and circulation (say, suggesting the answer to mass shootings was to arm school teachers).
That's not really 100% true though. They were for Project Exile, and why wouldn't they be? Most of their members are legal owners of guns and have no criminal records.

I guess I'm still sort of iffy on laws focusing on specific types of weapons, given that 80% of gun crime happens with handguns.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
stricter laws. People with a violent or bad history/past should not be allowed to buy guns. One main correlation with shootings/mass shootings is that the shooters have usually been domestic abusers, if not violent in general. I think the Las Vegas shooter is one of the few exceptions though, but there have been reports of him acting weirdly.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
That's not really 100% true though. They were for Project Exile, and why wouldn't they be? Most of their members are legal owners of guns and have no criminal records.

I guess I'm still sort of iffy on laws focusing on specific types of weapons, given that 80% of gun crime happens with handguns.
I mean, surely if you go back enough decades you might find the NRA supporting all sorts of things. Some of them might even be or had been at the time sensible. But at least nowadays every time the gun debate even vaguely heats up even a little it looks like they simply respond by adding more guns. Arming teachers is the sort of thing you'd expect in a south park episode or as sketch by stephen colbert.... Instead you had even non trump republicans supporting that.

kawaii_i

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am all for that! There are some crazy dudes walking around with guns that are not mentally stable and can do some crazy things like we see it every other day. So sad, but something has to be done!

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I mean, surely if you go back enough decades you might find the NRA supporting all sorts of things. Some of them might even be or had been at the time sensible. But at least nowadays every time the gun debate even vaguely heats up even a little it looks like they simply respond by adding more guns. Arming teachers is the sort of thing you'd expect in a south park episode or as sketch by stephen colbert.... Instead you had even non trump republicans supporting that.
Why mention Trump? Non-Trump or not, it's more about the party itself - republicans/right wing.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Why mention Trump? Non-Trump or not, it's more about the party itself - republicans/right wing.
My intention with that was to say that even "sane" republicans and not merely the trump wing of the republican party was for this. Of course this has the implication you mention, that this is a party wide issue...

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
There are sane republicans and gun owners who don't support arming teachers adn prefer stricter gun control, though.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Also worth noting that Trump essentially called some GOP members of congress out on record by saying they "were afraid of the NRA" last week.

kawaii_i

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
There are some rumors that they will put metal detectors in schools, in order to try to reduce the dangerous weapons that kids carry. What is your opinion on that?

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
It's a disappointment, and the damn politicians are doing nothing about gun control. Though in this case, the guns were brought legally by the dad, question is whether or not he locked up the guns properly.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
So apparently the kid could have committed the mass shooting because he got rejected by a girl

Crescent Jinx

Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Wasn’t there another one recently from a guy being rejected by a girl?

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
It's a disappointment, and the damn politicians are doing nothing about gun control. Though in this case, the guns were brought legally by the dad, question is whether or not he locked up the guns properly.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
So apparently the kid could have committed the mass shooting because he got rejected by a girl
In this case? Most guns in most crimes at the US are legal at some point. Illegal weapons don't grow in trees nor do they come from mexico.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Wasn’t there another one recently from a guy being rejected by a girl?
I think so? I remember a guy running over people with a van or truck because incel?
In this case? Most guns in most crimes at the US are legal at some point. Illegal weapons don't grow in trees nor do they come from mexico.
As in, the kid didn't buy the guns, so gun control couldn't have helped if the father was competent enough to own a gun.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
As in, the kid didn't buy the guns, so gun control couldn't have helped if the father was competent enough to own a gun.
Come on, that is clearly a cop out. With such a twisted logic no one is ever going to be responsible for any gun related crimes. Wouldn't the guns the kid used be illegal the second he stole them from his dad? I don't suppose the kid was a trained assassin with perfect accuracy meaning he simply stole from his dad enough firepower to kill more than 10 people. A shotgun and several other guns IIRC. Gun control is about reducing the amount of guns within a society... Imagine if that kid had shown up to school with even half the guns he did. Or he didn't have any to steal to begin with. All guns start out as legal. It's literally and specifically because there are so many legal guns that there are so many illegal guns.

And to add to that, the freaking kid had a 20 minute confrontation with the police... Why did it take 20 minutes to deal with one asshole kid? This is a school that presumably had at least most of the stuff gun rights activists say a school should have to prevent things like this. And yet not even the police could deal with this guy quickly.