Discussion Height

Which height to you prefer on Edited Mangas?

  • 1600

    Votes: 14 18.7%
  • 1400

    Votes: 16 21.3%
  • 1300

    Votes: 7 9.3%
  • 1200

    Votes: 31 41.3%
  • Don't Care.

    Votes: 7 9.3%

  • Total voters
    75

rockinpeace

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 14, 2008
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
1200
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Usually 1400, I like flirting with 1600 when I have an HQ raw, 1200 bugs the hell out of me.
 

miyagiCE

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 26, 2006
Messages
35
Reaction score
11
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
*Sighs* Conventions. I've ranted elsewhere about this, and I don't feel like doing it again. Let me just utter some questions (possibly bringing this thread back from the abyss of death in the process): Why release based on height at all? Because everyone does it? What advantage does it offer over releases based on width?

Personally, I like to release at 1280px width, when the raws I work with permit it. Some of you will call overkill -- I say, take a look at US comic scans. Those guys do it right. No supposed conventions that hold them back. 1280 (that's exactly the width a large number of users on teh netz use for their desktop resolution, according to Wikipedia) for single pages, 2560 for doubles.

But it doesn't have to stay there (and it doesn't, at least not for US comics)! Scan sizes should grow as technology evolves. Who here wants to read a 1200px height Edited Manga ten years from now (mind you, your desktop resolution will probably be something like 6400*3600px by then)? Or let me rephrase that -- Who here still uses 640*480px as their desktop resolution?
 

[Ju-Ni]Vicissitude

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2007
Messages
128
Reaction score
119
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I use CDisplay to read, which scales things to the height of my choosing, so it doesn't matter much to me. But Ju-Ni's releases have been at 1500 height for a long time. The RAWs I scan are usually slightly over 3000, so we scale down to about half size.
 

L0ki

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2009
Messages
336
Reaction score
101
Gender
Hidden
Country
Argentina
1400 ftw
 

unok-kun

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
769
Reaction score
434
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Arguing about this is just pontless. I release with 1200px height, but it's just because it's the standard for my group (except on one Nura chapter when we couldn't clean it ourselves and an international cleaner lend us his cleaning, and it was 1300px height). But if I had to clean for some other group with a different size, I wouldn't mind changing it.

But in any case, less than 1100px height is too small. Actually, I don't like it at all when my spreads get resized because it's mostly hard to read the text. (That's one of the reasons why I prefer MangaToshokan as an online reader, because it doesn't compress nor resize)
 

Name-Undecided

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
91
Reaction score
8
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I've been using 1100px so far, but I tried 1200px for Azuki and liked it, so I'll switch to that from the next volume of Umishi.

I think anything between 1100 and 1600 is fine, so long as you're comfortable.
 

Revilenigma

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2008
Messages
786
Reaction score
78
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
same here. 1400 is my favorite size but as others have said, in the future 1400 will probably be the new 1000, so I go for 1600... for now :s
 

Esc.

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2007
Messages
210
Reaction score
76
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I know this has been said, but it's better to scale using width. About 700-800. That might throw off the height a bit if you're reading it. But 700-800 height brings the height to about 1100-1300, you might not be able to see the change anyway.

Now if you scale by height the width is off for some pages. Some pages would be skinnier than others and that wouldn't be very nice to see. Again, you wouldn't really notice it so...

I'd go with 1200 just cause it fits and it's standard. I know Binktopia goes for 1150, so it's kind of a gray area for every group. There's no right and wrong, unless your wayyyy too small to read.
 

progste

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2009
Messages
60
Reaction score
5
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I always use 1200 px
 
Top