- Joined
- Apr 29, 2013
- Messages
- 6
- Reaction score
- 3
- Gender
- Male
- Country
-
Hello all, I registered on this forum just today in the hopes of talking manga art with some of you (I like talking comic art of any kind, really).
Forgive me if I go on a little!
I didn't 'discover' manga until fairly recently - I was always aware of it, I had even bought a couple of books as 'research' for my own drawing style, but I had never sat down and actually read a manga through until a couple of years ago. I don't remember why I did, perhaps because I live in Asia now and see shops full of it pretty often, but I felt compelled to investigate. I was 28 when I started reading Dragonball. I read quite a lot of it, but went back home for over a month and never really picked it up again. After that I decided I would like to try 'One Piece', perhaps because of it's youthful charm or perhaps because I simply loved the look of it. I bought the first four books and absolutely loved them, but again, because of a short attention span, or put off by the sheer number of books I would have to buy to keep going, I put it aside. I recently started reading Dragon Ball again, going back to the beginning and this time reading a lot further than I had previously. I am only up to book 6, but I am really enjoying it.
I have questioned whether I am too old to read this stuff, but in all honesty I realise that the only reason I think that is because I've grown up in a Country where reading comics is considered foolish and not worthy of your time. It's sad, but in the West comics are still struggling to be recognised as something other than 'silly picture books for kids'. Dragon Ball, for me, is the perfect example of a comic that can be for everyone. One Piece is the same, something everyone can find enjoyment in.
I grew up reading European comics, got pretty into American Superhero comics for a bit, but have always loved non-superhero comics more. I feel like I 'outgrew' the whole super-hero thing, and I've never really gone back (though I do love the recent movies!). I don't mean 'out-grew' in the sense of 'they aren't mature enough' - I simply mean that they don't interest me. Some of my favourite comics of all time are 'Tintin', 'Asterix', 'Calvin and Hobbes', 'Krazy Kat' and 'Moomin'. I like whimsical, funny, charming stories, but I also love adventure and excitement. Dragon Ball could be a Western comic, in my opinion (even the strong cultural references feel relevant to Western audiences).
Anyway, I'm here because I really enjoy these two books, and though I may not be a huge manga fan, I am hoping that I'll be able to discuss these two in some depth in the future!
Thanks for reading, and 'Hello!'
Forgive me if I go on a little!
I didn't 'discover' manga until fairly recently - I was always aware of it, I had even bought a couple of books as 'research' for my own drawing style, but I had never sat down and actually read a manga through until a couple of years ago. I don't remember why I did, perhaps because I live in Asia now and see shops full of it pretty often, but I felt compelled to investigate. I was 28 when I started reading Dragonball. I read quite a lot of it, but went back home for over a month and never really picked it up again. After that I decided I would like to try 'One Piece', perhaps because of it's youthful charm or perhaps because I simply loved the look of it. I bought the first four books and absolutely loved them, but again, because of a short attention span, or put off by the sheer number of books I would have to buy to keep going, I put it aside. I recently started reading Dragon Ball again, going back to the beginning and this time reading a lot further than I had previously. I am only up to book 6, but I am really enjoying it.
I have questioned whether I am too old to read this stuff, but in all honesty I realise that the only reason I think that is because I've grown up in a Country where reading comics is considered foolish and not worthy of your time. It's sad, but in the West comics are still struggling to be recognised as something other than 'silly picture books for kids'. Dragon Ball, for me, is the perfect example of a comic that can be for everyone. One Piece is the same, something everyone can find enjoyment in.
I grew up reading European comics, got pretty into American Superhero comics for a bit, but have always loved non-superhero comics more. I feel like I 'outgrew' the whole super-hero thing, and I've never really gone back (though I do love the recent movies!). I don't mean 'out-grew' in the sense of 'they aren't mature enough' - I simply mean that they don't interest me. Some of my favourite comics of all time are 'Tintin', 'Asterix', 'Calvin and Hobbes', 'Krazy Kat' and 'Moomin'. I like whimsical, funny, charming stories, but I also love adventure and excitement. Dragon Ball could be a Western comic, in my opinion (even the strong cultural references feel relevant to Western audiences).
Anyway, I'm here because I really enjoy these two books, and though I may not be a huge manga fan, I am hoping that I'll be able to discuss these two in some depth in the future!
Thanks for reading, and 'Hello!'






One thing I've noticed in Thailand (well, Bangkok) is that I see celebrities ALL the time. If I knew who they were (and was addicted to chasing famous people around) I'd probably get very excited. Still, a nice story to tell!
From what I understand otaku means someone who is obsessed with manga/anime, like men in their thirties/forties who have never really grown up, still live with their parents and read books about school girls riding magical unicorns? I've never grown up, sure, but I'll never admit to the rest of it, never! 