Hello

ckrit

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 11, 2013
Messages
24
Reaction score
9
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Hi, I hail from Belgium and am a 3rd year Japanese major in university. I've loved anime and manga and by extension anything Japan-related since the day I was born (or around that period at least). I plan on using the Translator's Academy sooner or later and try to be useful to others as well.

よろしく!
 

AshCandyPop

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 12, 2013
Messages
40
Reaction score
24
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Welcome! *Throws pie @ckrit*

That's your share. Enjoy! :3
 

ckrit

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 11, 2013
Messages
24
Reaction score
9
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Thanks, got any crème fraîche to go with that? :tss
 

gnut

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
11,490
Reaction score
18,519
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States
pie and buttermilk creme...

soundz like this thread may be fun

welcome....
 

Kat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 16, 2013
Messages
3,777
Reaction score
2,207
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Slovakia
Hey hey :confetti

Tell us more about youuuu ... hobbies and stuff

Welcome, hope you will enjoy it here as much as possible ^^
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Welcome. :D
I hope you have fun in MH.

You said that you like manga, but didn't say your favorites. What are your favorites? Any specifc genre you like?
 

ckrit

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 11, 2013
Messages
24
Reaction score
9
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Thanks ^^

Well, for the last 2 years I haven't been doing much else than studying my ass off (Japanese teachers are pretty strict x.X). Aside from many hours of Japanese a week, we also get a lot of Japan-related classes (politics, culture, literature, religion, history...) and non-related class (European literature, law, philosophy and other boring stuff like that, but also classical Chinese and started Korean this year).

Because of that, I didn't have much time to read manga or watch anime, but I'm trying to catch up right now. ^^ I started reading Edited Mangas when I was around 15 I think, mainly shounen and shoujo, but gradually I got more and more into seinen and josei because of groups like Mangascreener, Kotonoha, Omanga and others. I actually loved Honey & Clover so much, but I've only watched the anime so far. I'm a big fan of Inio Asano, Kiriko Nananan, Takakako Shimura, Jirou Matsumoto, Takehiko Inoue and the list goes on~

Right now I'm trying to translate Inio Asano's A Girl by the Sea for my class Popular Culture and testing to become a translator for illuminati-manga (pray for me they will think I'm good enough)

Other than that, I like good food... A LOT. Luckily I'm one of those people who never gain weight so I can eat everything I like. I never do any sports though so I at least try to eat healthy and for me that comes down to... cooking a lot with Japanese rice. :^_^
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
College is tough, I know. I've been in the college for almost one year now and still left 4 years ahead! But, if you like which you are studying you resist. :D I hope that I don't have to stop to read mangas because it's my beloved hobby.

I started with Shounen, too, Shoujo I'm starting right now as well as Seinen, Josei I only read one: Usagi Drop. I'm reading Monster by Naoki Urasawa, it's quite interesting. Solanin and Oyasumi Punpun is in my list, I will read it in the near future, I'm anxious because seems like more complex mangas and I think it will be a increase of level in my reading.
I don't know any series of Kiriko Nananan and Takakako Shimura, which one do you recommend? Takehiko Inoue has my respect, despite of I haven't read any series of him, yet. XD His drawing is beautiful, Slam Dunk and Vagabond is in my list right now and I have interest in Real, too. I have shame that I didn't read Slam Dunk, yet, it's obligatory reading. :crying.

Good luck with your translation, you are studying Japanese for year, you will go well. :D

I never gain weight as well. It's good eat whatever you want without worry. Well, at least what my mother want, she makes me have a healthy diet. :derp
 

ckrit

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 11, 2013
Messages
24
Reaction score
9
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
You know, I felt the same way, but Asano still uses day to day language (as far as I can tell), so it's pretty doable, don't worry about it and just start reading. ;)

Nananan wrote a lot of short-stories, so maybe it's easiest to start with those. Pumpkin and Mayonnaise (南瓜とマヨネーズ) is a nice collection.
 

AshCandyPop

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 12, 2013
Messages
40
Reaction score
24
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Is it hard to study languages? Although I am bilingual we learn to speak English as soon as we get to start schooling (4-5 yrs old?). I want to learn French, Japanese, Mandarin and Korean.
 

ckrit

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 11, 2013
Messages
24
Reaction score
9
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I wouldn't say it's too difficult to be honest, but the trickiest part is finding the most suitable way for you personally. A lot depends on motivation and getting good material to work with. I am lucky that we have a group of teachers that provide us with a efficient method and drill us in every aspect of the language. I suppose all I have to do is study that material and spend the rest of my time practicing the fun stuff (reading manga or talking to Japanese exchange students in my case).

If you're interested in learning a new language, I suggest asking a language teacher or people studying the language in school (like me for instance if you want to get into Japanese ^^).
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Unfortunately, in my country there isn't the habit to learn other languages in the school, just the very basic about English and Spanish, despite of English is so important. :(

Depends on the language, but it's easier to learn if you find a way to learn with fun. Manga helped me a lot with my English, for example. hahaha
One day I will learn japanese reading mangas, I have this dream. :P

By the way, what do you suggest to learn japanese, ckrit? What is the best first step? I studied Japanese before, I start with hiragana and katakana, but I stopped after a time.
 

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,757
Reaction score
26,047
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Welcome to mh - glad to see you here!!

Other than that, I like good food... A LOT. Luckily I'm one of those people who never gain weight so I can eat everything I like. I never do any sports though so I at least try to eat healthy and for me that comes down to... cooking a lot with Japanese rice. :^_^
I died a little -
 

ckrit

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 11, 2013
Messages
24
Reaction score
9
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
By the way, what do you suggest to learn japanese, ckrit? What is the best first step? I studied Japanese before, I start with hiragana and katakana, but I stopped after a time.
Start with refreshing your hiragana, but don't worry about katakana yet, you can always learn that along the way. I used some excerpts from Japanese for Busy People and Genki I to practice writing and reading hiragana, wouldn't mind bundling it together and give you a link, but I'm not sure if that's allowed in here?

Welcome to mh - glad to see you here!!
Thanks :^_^
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
PM me with the links. I don't know if that's allowed, either. :hmm
 

ckrit

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 11, 2013
Messages
24
Reaction score
9
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I'll send it to you as soon as I can, sorry for the delay. x)
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Top