Theory - Help me with the Windmill! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Theory Help me with the Windmill!

McNuss

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Okay I'm now going to tell you something weird.

As you might know, I have been digging into the meta and symbolism of One Piece for the couple past months.

So I have read a lot of ancient myths like creation myths and Chaoskampf myths and so on.

Quite interestingly my smartphone showed me things associated to what I researched as lockscreen wallpapers. Pictures of the Milky way (= Snake or Tree or even Ocean, things related to cosmology and creation myths). Pictures of mountains resembling the Rivers Mountain (or rather the main source of inspiration behind the Rivers mountain), pictures of buildings related to cultures I researched about, etc.
As I am currently at a dead end and haven't researched much further, these pictures disappeared largely and were replaced by more generic pictures.

However a certain motive still recurs, and in a quantity that is driving me insane!

The Windmill! Every second lockscreen shows me Windmills. Singular Windmills, Windmills in a line, Windmills in a field Windmills, Windmills, whatever.

But what has this to do with One Piece? Well Luffy is from Windmill Village and Nami, who also shares much of Luffy's other motives (Wukong, Storm God, Adam and Eve) also prominently features a Windmill motive, arguably more prominently than all the others. So the Windmill definitely is of importance!

Unfortunately though I haven't found out yet what it means. So maybe we can research together! Personally I expect the motive to have either a relation to the Devil or paganism or both but I have no idea where I should start as Windmills are not ancient and as such beyond the field where I know most about.
But it could also be from Pop culture or art or whatever, Oda isn't limited to anything!

So if you have heard anything about
Windmills that could be related to One Piece, please tell me!

:)

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Ok, your post confuses me. To me it reads like you are expecting prophetic visions from your smartphone or something to that effect.

TitaniumOxide

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Windmill
Wimill
Will
Will of D.
Lmfao

McNuss I think you may have stumbled upon something here but at the same time I also think a lot of mangakas like to use the same motif. Especially if it relates to the main character. Windmill might be one of those motifs that the author is including.

McNuss

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Ok, your post confuses me. To me it reads like you are expecting prophetic visions from your smartphone or something to that effect.
:D:D:D
That was my intention, it kinda feels that way :D
No but Smartphones gather their users data to customize the experience. So if I google a lot of stuff related to esotericism or ancient mythologies, I get matching lockscreens.
About why the Windmill is not disappearing, I think my phone also memories the time I spent looking at these screens, and I look quite long at these screens since I haven't solved the riddle yet.

I doubt my phone knows why I search for that stuff though. It just puts me into a category with others that have researched similar things, and selects pictures that I should like based on that.

McNuss

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Okay I found out two things.

First of all, I discovered how the magic of my mobile phone works. It's actually very simple. I repeated my hints about the map on reddit, and if I write "A mountain leading to Paradise", that gets shown on the lockscreen. I probably prolonged it for another two weeks just by writing this here.

Second I think I have found a possible meaning of the Windmill. It is the Ghibli movie Nausicaä of the Valley of the Winds. This movie is listed as one of Oda's favorites. But it got nothing to do with One Piece. Rather I think this is supposed to lead you to another Ghibli movie, "Laputa: Castle in the Sky" and that movie seems to be central in the making of of One Piece.

Laputa has everything that One Piece is about. Pirates vs a militaristic authoritarian government with secret agents. A hidden middle name pointing at ancient Sumer (Ur, the City of the Moon God). A lost island. An ancient weapon of mass destruction. A mysterious grave that is never explained. Mayumi Tanaka voicing the main character, who wears clothes like he is the conservative version of Luffy, and he does get a scar right underneath the eye. And most importantly TONS of Poneglyphs. You will never see that many Poneglyphs together at once. Unlike One Piece, these Poneglyphs feature a script that can actually be identified as cuneiform, again pointing at ancient Sumer.

Oda said he started imagining Pirate stories at age 12, and when Laputa came out, Oda was 11 years and 8 months old, so roughly 12.

Admiral Teach

Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
This is what happens when people actually dig and perform real investigative research. They find an ever growing network of connections that the ignorant refuse to believe exist. Thank you McNuss, for enlightening us all as to OPs inner workings.

TitaniumOxide

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can see a silhouette of McNuss, dressed in all black Sherlock Holmes style clothing staring at a bigass wall with One Piece circled in the middle. Red strings are connected to "One Piece" from various articles, pictures, and sources. The room is quite dark except for the light shown on the wall illuminating it but turning everything else into shadows and silhouettes. All the while, McNuss is staring intently, fingers on his chin, sweating and thinking intently trying to figure out the deepness that is One Piece.

Sir I commend your work.

KimCorrea

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Dude. Gotta say. I got junji ito vibes from your post. Just change it to spiral and there you go.

Joke aside, I think I saw somewhere in this Forum someone meeting this naausica here before and making the same connections that you did. And it does make some sense. But only time will tell if it is true or not.
Good read anyways. :)

woefdram

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Akira has:

- a corrupt government
- military with strong sense of justice
- early villain with clown motif
- extendable limbs
- previous generation people that trigger the main character's journey
- a big walking teddy bear

Might be something in there?

All jokes aside, I do always really appreciate the work that goes into those theories.

Did a quick Google search an came across this:

'In China, the pinwheel is seen as an instrument to turn obstacles into opportunities, and is used to bestow good luck, longevity, health and prosperity to its owner.'

With many other parallels from Chinese literature it could be Oda got it from this.

Looking forward to hearing what else you find out