Done Help with a couple of lines

yukihito

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 23, 2009
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Age
40
Gender
Female
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure about the meaning of 言ってくれます here and here. I did have a look around for it, but I'm guessing it's a specific expression that I haven't been able to figure out.

I'm confused about what the detective (the character in the black coat) is trying to say in the line 万が一を考え 駆りだされただけですよ (raw page here)
I thought he could be implying that he was just made to go there (part of trying to give the killer the impression that he didn't want to be there/wasn't focused on the case), but I want to check I'm not missing the point entirely.

Sorry if I'm confused over something really simple, I just can't seem to be certain about these two things.
 
Last edited:

nukumi

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 13, 2010
Messages
11
Reaction score
1
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Not sure how much help I'll be, but here goes. ^^

For 言ってくれます, the only thing that comes to mind is a verb + くれる, meaning the speaker is receiving something, in this case something being said. So I guess a literal translation would be "will say for me". To be honest, it seems a little off to me too. Maybe even something like "or so they say/tell me"

For 万が一を考え駆りだされただけですよ, my first impression was that he was only considering the worst case scenario.
万が一を考え : Thinking of the worst case/just in case
駆り出す : round up/flush out

Not sure if I was any help, but sometimes any answer is better than none.
Good luck :)
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
万が一を考え駆り出されただけですよ。= 殺人事件(satsujin jiken/ murder case)の可能性(kanousei/possibility)もあるので、駆り出されただけだ。

My translation: I was sent here just in case (this is a murder case).

言ってくれるね is like... まいったな。/ よくそんなこと、言うな/
A says XXX. B says 言ってくれるね。 In this case, A is saying something against B's opinion in a righteous manner.

My translation: You have a point but...

I can't translate it well...but, depends on the situation, I might also translate it as ... Give me a break. or How can you say that? or You are so harsh, .. e.t.c.  This is not a rude comment, so "How dare you?" is not a good translation even though it crossed my mind.
 
Last edited:

yukihito

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 23, 2009
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Age
40
Gender
Female
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you so much, mikkih! I understand those two things a lot better now.
 
Top