Misc Attempt help with cleaning please

lululoo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 15, 2009
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm attempting the impossible as many see it; I'm trying to clean some mahou sensei negima pages. Just as the reputation says, the raws are quite hard to deal with.

here is a page i'm trying to clean...
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/6976/26301.jpg

i leveled it just a tad bit from the start then used topaz denoise and got this:
http://s788.photobucket.com/albums/yy164/digdug991/?action=view&current=p01-after-denoise.png

i then went through and redrew some distorted parts, burned some blacks, etc.
http://s788.photobucket.com/albums/yy164/digdug991/?action=view&current=p01-after-burning.png

as you can see, the image is still a bit noisy and looks a bit too gray (in my opinion at least) but that's about as how far as I can go.

any suggestions on what to do? (or what I did wrong in the previous steps)

edit: I've reuploaded the pages.
 
Last edited:

[Ju-Ni]Vicissitude

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2007
Messages
128
Reaction score
119
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Could you fix the 2nd and 3rd link? They're giving a 404 because the links go nowhere.
 

lululoo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 15, 2009
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just in case it didn't seem like I've changed anything... the links should work now.
 

[Ju-Ni]Vicissitude

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2007
Messages
128
Reaction score
119
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Okay, I can see them now. :)

First off, I'll say that I don't like denoisers. That in mind, let's continue.

You may need to level the image a little to adjust the colors. Increasing the left slider will darken the art, the right slider will lighten it (just to put it simply). Once you do that, you'll want to zoom in and pick off the noise by hand with the brush tool. Just use a white and black brush to wipe out the little flecks of grey where they shouldn't be.

Then, you've got the in-panel text. Do you plan on redrawing the art? Or just clearing out the original and hiding the removal with the English text?
 
Top