Cleaning Help with cleaning this scan?

cougarpeople

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 18, 2009
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
Japan
Hello,
I've been part of the scanalator community for more than a year but I had never really done scanning and cleaning myself. I scanned this image in and I was wondering how I could pre-clean this.

Thanks

http://img34.imageshack.us/i/rawscanhelp.png/
 

Name-Undecided

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
91
Reaction score
8
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
By pre-clean you mean *gag* filters?
 

cougarpeople

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 18, 2009
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
Japan
Not necessary filters, I don't really like them but I really want a good way that I can turn raw scan into a HQ scan
 

Name-Undecided

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
91
Reaction score
8
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Good way to turn raw scan into HQ scan: start with an HQ scan. Since you're scanning yourself, you can actually do that. Scan at at least 600 dpi (or go crazy and hit 1200 dpi) to preserve as many of the details as possible then take it from there with the standard photoshop tools (crop, level, rotate, etc).
 

cougarpeople

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 18, 2009
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
Japan
Okay, so after i've cropped, roated everything how can I level it without over-leveling, destroying the quality or messing up?
 

Name-Undecided

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
91
Reaction score
8
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
You read different guides, look at different scans and experiment. Keep the original scans somewhere safe and practice at will on the copies. Try a little leveling, a lot of leveling, play with the brushes, play with the dodge and burn tools, etc. If you post your results here, the experts (i.e. not me 'cos I suck) can give you some good feedback.

Don't be afraid to mess up. It's all part of the learning process.
 

aznkandy

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 21, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Vietnam
just level as you want then resize to ***x1600 or ***x2000, then use topaz denoise JPEG HQ ok
Use Suf blur 18/10
Then level one more time
resize to ***x1200
This raw is too easy to scan
Sorry for my bad in English @@
 

[Ju-Ni]Vicissitude

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2007
Messages
128
Reaction score
119
Gender
Male
Country
United States
No. No, we do not use Topaz. That's the opposite of what we're going for, as the OP said.

That page was scanned with "Auto-correct" (or whatever anything outside of Photoshop calls it) and with a white background. They combined to wash the hell out of the image. Your best bet is to find a better quality scan and level it gently. Once you get it to a good point, you can start in on replacing patterns (where needed. If this is from a volume, you probably won't have to) and touching up whatever the leveling may have damaged.
 

smokeesid

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2009
Messages
687
Reaction score
220
Gender
Male
Country
India
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6ASJQW88

If you like it then I will tell you the method(steps but I may mess up the numbers that is step 2 could be the 3rd and vice versa) But before that please give me a whole chapter with such raws(so that I could practice)
 
Top