Done Help with colloquial speech

scrubb

Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 5, 2009
Messages
30
Reaction score
4
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Can someone help me with the last phrase in the following set of lines? Words in parenthesis are added for context.

(見合いは)モテない(人だ)からってそーゆーので妥協して/結局人生棒に振るなんて/オレならやだね!/おっし尻尾きって!

I think it's some kind of idiom, but even the Goo Jiten doesn't have it.

I've asked a couple of Japanese friends about this and they haven't been able to help, so without being able to see the page in question, it's apparently hard to get the context.

So here's a link to the RAW page for reference.

Thanks in advance.
 

Unproductive

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2009
Messages
88
Reaction score
25
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
棒に振る(ぼうにふる) それまでの努力や苦心の結果をすっかり無駄にする。 類:●ふいにする ★家屋などを棒手振(ぼてふり=天秤棒での行商)に掛けて売り払う意、つまり、「棒にぶら下げて振る」からか、という。

尻尾を切る(しっぽをきる) 集金した金の一部や、釣り銭などを誤魔化す。

Is that what you need?
 

scrubb

Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 5, 2009
Messages
30
Reaction score
4
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
That helps, but I'm having a hard time seeing how 尻尾を切る fits...what's おっし? It might be a colloquial "contraction" of something...

BTW, what source did you find that in? Thanks.
 

maguregumo

Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 12, 2009
Messages
20
Reaction score
8
Gender
Female
Country
Australia
(見合いは)モテない(人だ)からってそーゆーので妥協して/結局人生棒に振るなんて/オレならやだね!/おっし尻尾きった!
the first 3 bubble, his talking about arranged marriage but the last bubble, おっし尻尾きった is refers to the game his playing with his friend.

the 2 frames that above this frame, this character is talking the same way that is,
1st bubble refers to marriage and then 2nd bubble refers to the game.
so, i'm pretty sure that おっし尻尾きった is about the game. like "Yes! i chopped the tail!" or something. ^^
 

scrubb

Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 5, 2009
Messages
30
Reaction score
4
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Hmm, that makes sense, especially if Unproductive's suggestion about おっし is correct.
I'm not much of a gamer, so does the idea of chopping off something's tail in a multiplayer game seem plausible? If so I'll go update the TL I posted.
Too bad someone already used it! :facepalm It is marked "needs check" though...
 
Top