Discussion Hiro Mashima interview for Magapoke APP

Laboon

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2017
Messages
402
Reaction score
1,408
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fairy Tail
The interview has THREE parts!
Unfortunately I had only seen the first, here are the others.

――エルザは? 真島:見切り発車のキャラでしたね。グレイとエルザはシリーズキャラクターのつもりだったんですよ。それが2人とも人気が出たもんだから、レギュラーに定着しちゃった。だからこそ、エルザはいちばん「読者に育ててもらったキャラ」っていう印象がありますね。読者と一緒に育っていったっていうか。
――強いですよね、ひたすら。 真島:エルザといえば「強い」キャラです。ある意味で僕が思い描く「強さ」の象徴みたいなキャラですね。そこが最大のアイデンティティかな。だからファンからも色んなリアクションがありましたよ。「エルザが負けるところなんて絶対に見たくない!」って人もいれば「エルザ強すぎ。たまには負けろ」っていう人もいて。
――女の子っぽい一面もありますよね。 真島:甘いものが好きとか、かわいい服が好きとか、僕自身もエルザのそういところに魅力を感じています。
――エルザのエピソードで思い出深いものは? 真島:大魔闘演武での「伏魔殿(パンデモニウム)」ですかね。エルザの強さがもっとも際立って描けた回のひとつだと思っていて、お気に入りです。読者からの評判もすごくいい回でした。エルザについては、お姉さんキャラっていう側面もあって、僕は昔からそういうキャラが好きなんです。
――初耳です。 真島:ずっと、子供のころからお姉さんって存在に憧れてたんですよね。だから、ああいうキャラを描く時は気合が入ります。『RAVE』のハルにお姉さんがいるのも、そういう理由からだったような覚えがあります。
――他のキャラについても聞きたいんですが、キャラ多すぎて……。強いてあとひとり、語るとすれば? 真島:ウェンディですかね。それまで僕の漫画には、ああいう小さくてかわいい戦士っていうキャラは出してなかったんですよ。で、いざ出してみたら、かわいくてかわいくて(笑)。自分で描いておいてなんだけど、すごく好きになったキャラですね。
――バトル漫画においては、ちょっと扱いづらそうな設定ですが。 真島:滅竜魔導士(ドラゴンスレイヤー)の設定がなかったら、モブみたいになっちゃってたかもしれないですね。もともと女性の滅竜魔導士(ドラゴンスレイヤー)は、もう少し年上の設定だったんです。でもウェンディを出すことにした時に、もうこの設定を使うならここしかないって思い切って描きました。結果的には良かったです。
――ウェンディで思い出深いシーンは? 真島:エゼルとの戦いの終盤、ドラゴンフォースに覚醒するところかな。シャルルとの関係性も含めて、描きたかったことが描けたと思ってます。あそこは「死んじゃうんじゃないか」っていうヒキにもできたんです。でも、死なせないって決めていて、読者を混乱させるのが嫌で、無理やりメストが2人を助け出すっていうシーンまで入れました。
――ウェンディが傷つくことについて、色んな意見があったと思いますが。 真島:やっぱり見た目は小さい女の子ですから、拒否反応がある人はいたと思います。担当からも「やりすぎじゃないか」って言われたこともありますし。でも、ウェンディは守られるべき存在じゃなくて、戦士なので。戦士なら戦わなきゃいけないし、戦えば傷つくのは当然のことです。
――打ち合わせの際にもそう言ってましたね。 真島:ともに戦う仲間として、僕はウェンディを描きたかったんです。小さい女の子であっても、仲間である以上は仲間たちと一緒に傷つかなきゃ嘘になります。心は痛むんですけど、それはしょうがないことなんです。傷つくし、痛い目も見る。でもそれが仲間であるってことだと僕は思っているので。
――真島哲学ですね。 真島:そんなカッコイイもんじゃないですけど(笑)。そういう細かい「FTルール」みたいなものは、実は無数にありましたね。明確な言葉にはならないんだけど、FTを描いていく上で違えてはいけない決まり、空気感のようなもの。
――その空気、打ち合わせをするとわかりますね。 真島:全部じゃないかもしれないけど、ある程度は担当には伝わっていると思うんですよね。
――ネームをやっている時、何度か「あ、ここ信念の部分だ」って感じることはありました。読者だったころにはわからなかったけど。 真島:自分の中の決まりがあるから描き続けられた部分はあると思います。そこを崩して本当に「何でもあり」で描いてしまったら、こんなに長くは続けられませんでした。
――ウェンディの話は、そのわかりやすい一例ですね。 真島:こんなにちゃんと言葉にできるルールは珍しいんですよね。僕に限らず、多くの漫画家さんがそういう「空気」はもっていると思う。だから漫画家って面倒な人種だなって思うことありますよ。他人からみたらどうでもいいことに、すごくこだわっていたりする(笑)。信念で曲げられないことっていうか。
――当然そうあるべきだと思います。 ――いろんなキャラにいろんなファンがいましたね。 真島:漫画なんで、回によっては辛い思いをしたり負けるキャラもいて、そのキャラのファンからは怒られることも多かったです。「なんでグレイをこんな目に遭わせるんだ!」とかね。
――気にします? 真島:全体としての評判は受け止めますけど、ひとつひとつの声を拾って考え込む、ということはしないようにしていました。SNSをやっていないファンだっているだろうから、ここにいる人たちのことばかりを見ていてはいけないと。それは良い感想にしても批判的な感想にしても同じことですね。
――物語がファンの声に左右されることはない? 真島:ない、と言い切りたいですけど、どうなんでしょう。頭では切り分けているつもりでも、皮膚のどこかで受け付けちゃっていた部分もあるかもしれない。わからないですね。
――特に多かった意見とかありますか? 真島:カップリング論争は、見ている僕が驚くほど盛り上がることがありますね。でも、そこは特にファンの意見は取り入れないようにしました。申し訳ないけど、僕の中では全部決まっていたし、決まっていた通りに描き終えました。
――海外で異常な盛り上がりを見せました。 真島:ありがたいことに、FTは序盤の頃からもう海外で人気があるって聞かされていました。だからなるべくダジャレとか言葉遊びを減らして、フキダシも丸く描くようにしたんです。翻訳しやすいように。
――狙ってた? 真島:まさか! 自分でもいまだに驚いてますよ。いくつか「こういう理由で人気あるのかな」と思っていることはありますけど、到底分析しきれません。こればっかりは運が良かったとしか言いようがない。
――海外で受け入れられているなーって実感ありますか? 真島:Twitterのフォロワーに海外の方が多いので、そこで実感しますね。あと、海外wikiが充実してるんですよ。自分でも忘れそうな細かい設定とかちゃんと書いてあって。あれはね、ここだけの話、とてもありがたいです(笑)
――Twitterのフォロワー数は全漫画家の中で一番ですよね。100万人越え。 真島:ありがたいですね。はじめたのは大魔闘演武の頃だったんですよ。たまたまはじめた時期の人気が良くて、「すごい面白かったです!」っていう感想をたくさんもらえたんですね。で、根が単純な人間なんで「こいつは悪くないぞ」って気分が良くなっちゃって(笑)
――(笑) 真島:海外の方からのメッセージも多いので、翻訳ソフト使って何とか読んだり、たまに英語でツイートしたりしてます。あと、絵は全世界共通だから、ラクガキが多いのも海外のファンは喜んでくれてるんじゃないかな。
――たしかに。 次は「ページ3」へ!
© 講談社

――真島さんは、プロットの打ち合わせはしませんよね。 真島:僕の場合はいきなりネームを読んでもらいますね。マガジンでは一般的には「下打ち」、「どういうネームを描くか」っていう打ち合わせをすると思うんですが、僕は『RAVE』の初期から全部ネームです。
――それは、どうしてですか? 真島:プロットが決まってないとネームが描けないっていう作家さんも多いんですが、僕は逆にプロットが決まっているとネームが描けなくなるんですよね。自由度が失われるというか。それが嫌だったので、「面白くなかったら何度ボツにしてくれてもいいんで、ネームだけで打ち合わせをさせてください」って担当に申し出たんです。いま思うと生意気な若造ですね(笑)。
――でも結果、面白い漫画になってる。 真島:はじめのころは本当にボツが多かったですけどね(笑)
――『RAVE』の頃と『FAIRY TAIL』になって、変わったことありますか? 真島:より強く読者の存在を意識するようになりました。昔は自分の描きたいものだけ描いて、それで喜んでくれる読者がいればそれでいいやって思っていました。そこを担当に補強してもらってたって感じですね。「ここはこう描きたいのかもしれないけど、読者はこうした方が喜ぶと思うよ」って。
――今は? 真島:担当に言われるより前に、まず自分自身が読者を喜ばせたいって思うようになりました。でもね、僕は結局のところ幸せな作家で、自分が描きたいと思っているものとマガジンの読者が読みたいと思っているものが、それほど離れてなかったんだと思います。だから自分を殺して読者のために描いている、と思って漫画を描いたことはないですね。漫画を描くのはいつだって楽しいですよ。
――よく出張に行かれていました。 真島:海外も国内も、ずいぶん回らせてもらいました。そのたびに現地のファンの方が歓迎してくれて、ありがたい限りでした。
――過密スケジュールの中でよく回数を重ねられましたね。 真島:旅行が好きってわけでもないんですけどね。地方でサイン会とか海外でイベントって言われると「そういうことなら行くかー」くらいの気分で行ってました。仕事が終わらなくて現地のホテルに原稿持ち込んで、部屋でひとりでカリカリ描いているときもありましたけど(笑)
――一緒に行った沖縄出張の時もそうでしたね。 真島:そうでしたね。でも沖縄出張は楽しかったなあ。サイン会にも、たくさんの人が来てくれたし。 ――真島さん、ずっと不安がってましたもんね。昼食のソーキそば食べながら「ファンは来てくれるんだろうか……」って。僕ら全員「来てくれるに決まってますよ!」って言うんだけど、真島さんだけ「そうかなあ、来てくれるかなあ」って(笑) 真島:サイン会の前にはたまに不安になるんですよ! いざ会場に行ってみたら人がぜんぜん集まってなくて、ポツーンって僕ひとり椅子に座ることになるんじゃないかって。ありがたいことに、そんなことになったサイン会は一度もないんですけど。
――そりゃそうですよ(笑)。真島さん、顔バレしませんか? 真島:たまにしますね。ただ、芸能人みたいに、しょっちゅうテレビに出たりしているわけじゃないんで、ほとんどないですよ。編集長と食事に行った時にバレちゃったりすることはありました。
――会話を聞くとわかりますよね。マガジンの話ばっかりしてるから。
――連載中は、2週連続一挙3話、4週連続一挙2話、5誌出張掲載、2誌同時連載などなど、色んなチャレンジをしていただきました。やり残したことはありますか? 真島:いやー、思いつかないです。本当に色んなことをさせてもらって。楽しかったです。
――そのバイタリティ、どこから湧いてくるんでしょう? 真島:目立たなきゃいけないと思うんですよ。漫画家はもっともっと目立ちたいと思うべきだと。それは雑誌の中でもそうですし、雑誌以外の部分でもそうです。じゃなきゃ生き残れない世界だと思っているんで、それで僕は必死なんです。今後も目立てる機会をいただけるんなら思いっきり目立っていきたいと思ってます! ――そうは言っても、辛かった仕事はあるのでは? 真島:強いて言うなら、ライバルでの同時連載の時ですかね。『モンスターハンターオラージュ』というコミカライズ作品を描かせてもらっていたんですが、ちょうど「FT」でもバトル・オブ・フェアリーテイル編を連載していた時期で、原稿の密度が飛躍的に上がっちゃったんですよね。ライバルの方では巨大モンスターや武具の描きこみが多くて、「FT」本編ではキャラが一気に増えた上に街中でのバトルなんで背景もたくさん入ってきちゃって。
――聞くだに恐ろしい状況ですね。 真島:同時連載は二度とやらない、と思ったんですけど、結局『FT ZERO』の時にまたやることになりました。ただ、あの時はそこまで大変じゃなかったです。キャラの数が絞られてましたし、何よりFTの世界観だったので好き勝手に描けましたし。
――一挙数話はどうです? 真島:ああいうのは準備期間をちゃんともらえるんで、実はそこまで大変じゃないんですよ。一週間で2話分描いているわけじゃなくて、計画的に少しずつ描き溜めしてるだけなので。ただ、あれやるたびに担当が悪く言われるのは、ちょっと心が痛いです(笑)。「また編集が真島のストック原稿を奪っていったぞ!」とか言われて。
――半分くらい事実だから仕方ないですね(笑)。ゲーム休暇はゲーム休暇でまた別に描き溜めしますね。 真島:そうそう。大好きなゲームの発売日が決まったら、そこから準備して1週分ストックを作るんです。担当にもちゃんと宣言してね。ある日、僕が突然2話分のネームを持ってきて、ある日突然2話分の原稿が届くっていう。
――休むって選択肢がないのがすごい。 真島:今でこそ担当も理解してくれてますけど、最初に「ゲームやりたいんで1週分、ネームと原稿を先行させたいんです」って申し出た時は「へ?」って顔されました。「へ?」って。すごい高い声で聞き返された(笑)。
――そりゃそうですよ。発想としてないですもん、こちらには。 真島:でも今では当たり前のように受け入れてくれるんで、好きなゲームは思いっきり楽しめてます。 ――次回作の構想は? 真島:ちょこちょこ考えてますけど、少し休みます。担当からも絶対に人間ドックに行くようにって言われてますし、最近は休むことも仕事のうちだと自分に言い聞かせてます。
――休めます? 真島:完全には……無理ですね。いろいろね、作品が終わってもやることはあるから。それでも週に20ページ描いてる分がなくなれば、何もかもが全然変わってくる。11年ぶりに、ゆっくりしようかなって思ってます。思ってます、が。
――が? 真島:編集長が毎週のように「新連載……なるべく早く……」って(笑)
――呪文のように(笑) 真島:そうそう(笑)。でも真面目な話、そう言ってもらえるうちが華なんで、次回も面白い漫画を描けるように頑張ります。良ければ次回作も応援してもらえると嬉しいです!
――11年間、本当にお疲れ様でした。ありがとうございました! 真島:こちらこそ、ありがとうございました。またいつか、次の作品で! ここまでお読み頂き、ありがとうございました!!!
© 講談社
 

Rax

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2016
Messages
777
Reaction score
1,255
Age
31
Country
Tartaros
Erza Is your company? Mashima: It was a character of departure departure. Gray and Elsa were going for series characters. Both of them have gained popularity, so they have become established regularly. That is why Elsa has the impression that he is "the character he grew up by the reader". I grew up with readers.
- It's strong, right? Mashima: Speaking of Elsa is a "strong" character. It is a character like a symbol of "strength" I envision in a sense. Is it the greatest identity? So there were various reactions from fans. Some people say "Elsa is too strong, lose occasionally" if some people say "I do not want to see absolutely where Elsa will lose!"
- There is also one side like a girl. Mashima: I like sweet things, I like cute clothes, I myself feel attracted to that place in Elsa. In case of
- What is memorable in Elsa's episode? Mashima: Is it "Pandemonium (pandemonium)" by Demon Fighting Takeshi? I think that the strength of Elsa is one of the most striking times I could draw and it is my favorite. The reputation from readers was also a very good time. As for Elsa, there is also an aspect of sister's character, I like such characters for a long time.
- It is the first ears. Mashima: I have been longing for being a sister forever since I was a child. So, when you draw a character you are going to enter. I remember that there is a sister in Hull of "RAVE" for that reason.
- I would like to hear about other characters, too much characters ... .... If I tell you all one by one? Mashima: Is it Wendy? Until then, in my cartoon, I did not put out a character called a little cute warrior. So, when you showed up, I was cute and cute (laugh). I draw it by myself, but it is a character I really liked.
- In a battle manga, it seems to be a little difficult to handle. Mashima: If it had not been set up for Mr. Rodongui (Dragon Slayer), it might have become like a mob. Originally a woman's death Ryuushi (Dragon Slayer) was a bit older. But when I decided to put out Wendy, I used to drag and draw that I have only this one if I use this setting anymore. As a result it was good.
- What is your memorable scene at Wendy? Mashima: At the end of the fight with Ezel, I wonder if it will awaken to Dragon Force. I think that I could draw what I wanted to draw, including the relationship with Charles. I could do it over there as "I'm dead". But I decided not to die, I did not want to confuse the reader, I forcefully put in the scene that Mest rescued them.
- I think that there were various opinions about Wendy being hurt. Mashima: After all it seems that the girls are small girls, so I think some people have a refusal response. There are also things from the person in charge saying "You are overkilling". But Wendy is not a guardian, it is a warrior. Warriors have to fight, and it is natural that they will get hurt if they fight.
- You were saying that at the meeting as well. Mashima: As a fellow who fought together, I wanted to draw Wendy. Even a small girl, I will lie if it is a friend and I have been hurt with my colleagues. My heart hurts, but that is inevitable. I get hurt, I also see painful eyes. But I think that it is a friend.
- Mashima philosophy. Mashima: Not that cool, but (laugh). Actually there were countless things like such detailed FT rules. It is not a clear word, but it is like a feeling of air, decided not to make a difference in drawing FT.
- You will understand that air, meeting. Mashima: It may not be all, but to some extent I think that you are in charge.
- When I was doing my name, there were times when I felt that "a part of this belief" several times. I did not understand it when I was a reader. Mashima: I think there is a part that has continued to draw because there are rules inside of me. If I broke down there and truly drew it with "anything", I could not have been there for such a long time.
- Wendy's story is an easy-to-understand example. Mashima: The rules that make words like this unusual are unusual. Not limited to me, many cartoonists think that I have such "air". That's why I think that manga artists are troublesome races. I am stuck very much to what I do not care about from other people (laugh). It is something that can not be bent by belief. In case of
- Of course I think that should be. - There were various fans in various characters. Mashima: Because it is a manga, there are also characters that are painful or losing depending on the times, and many fans of that character were angry. "Why do you make Gray look like this!"
--I am concerned about it? Mashima: I will accept the reputation as a whole, but I tried not to think about picking up every single voice. You will have fans who are not doing SNS, so you should not just see the people here. Even if it is a good impression, it is the same thing even if it makes a critical impression.
- Is not the story subject to the voice of the fans? Mashima: I do not want to say, no, but how do you do? Even if you plan to cut it with your head, there may be a part that you accepted somewhere in the skin. I do not know.
- Do you have any particular opinion? Mashima: The coupling controversy is something I am surprisingly excited about seeing. However, I decided not to take in the opinions of fans especially. I'm sorry but I was all settled in me and I finished drawing as I was decided.
- It showed abnormal excitement overseas. Mashima: Thankfully, I heard that FT is already popular abroad since the early days. So I reduced the word play as much as possible and I decided to draw balloon as well. To make it easy to translate.
- Were you aiming? Mashima: No way! I am still surprised even by myself. There are things I'm thinking "Some people are popular for this reason", but I can not fully analyze it. There is no way but to say only that this was lucky.
- Do you feel that you are accepted abroad? Mashima: Since there are many overseas people on Twitter's followers, I realize there. Also, the overseas wiki is substantial. I wrote a detailed setting such as a detailed setting that I forget even for myself. That is it, I am thankful for the story only here (laugh)
- The number of followers on Twitter is the best among all cartoonists. Over one million people. Mashima: I appreciate it. What I started was when I was a fighter fighter. The popularity of the time that happened by chance was good, and I got a lot of impression "I was amazingly fun!" So, because the root is simple, "I'm not bad" this guy got better (lol)
- (lol) Mashima: There are also a lot of messages from overseas, so I use translation software somehow and sometimes tweet in English. Also, since pictures are common to all the world, it seems that overseas fans are pleased that there are many rakugaki
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Mr. Mashima does not discuss plots. Mashima: In my case, you suddenly have my name read. In magazines generally I think that we will have a meeting like "bottoming down" and "what kind of name will be drawn", but I'm all from the beginning of "RAVE".
- Why is that? Mashima: Many authors say that a name can not be drawn unless the plot is decided, but if the plot is decided on the contrary, I can not draw the name. Does that mean that degrees of freedom are lost? Because I did not like it, I offered to take charge of "Please do not make me a couple of times if it is not interesting, just let me meet with your name." It is a cheeky youthful thought now (laugh).
- But as a result, it has become an interesting manga. Mashima: There were truly a lot of tricks at the beginning, though (laugh)
- Have you changed since becoming "RAVE" and "FAIRY TAIL"? Mashima: I became more aware of the existence of the reader more strongly. In the past I drew only the things I wanted to draw and I thought it would be fine if there were some readers who would be happy with it. I feel that I was reinforced in charge of that. "This may be something I want to draw like this, but the reader thinks that these people will be pleased."
--now? Mashima: Before I was in charge, I started to think that myself wanted to please readers. But, I am a happy writer after all, I think that what I wanted to draw and what the magazine readers wanted to read were not so far away. That's why I never thought of drawing kanji for the readers and drawing manga. Drawing cartoons is always fun.
- I was often on business trip. Mashima: Overseas as well as domestic, I got much to go around. Every time local fans welcomed me, thankfully it was.
- Frequently counted in overcrowded schedule. Mashima: I do not like traveling, though. When I was told that there were signings in rural areas and events abroad, I went in a mood like "I wonder if that would be the case". I did not finish my work and brought the manuscript to the local hotel and sometimes crisping alone in the room, but (laugh)
- It was the same as when you went with a business trip to Okinawa. Mashima: That's right. But I enjoyed Okinawa business trip. A lot of people came to the autograph session. - Mr. Mashima, I was anxious all the time. While eating lunch sake soba, "Does your fans come ...?" All of us are saying "I am determined to come!" Mashima only says "I wonder if it will come" (Laugh) Mashima: Sometimes I get uneasy before the autograph session you know! When I go to the venue, people are not gathering at all, I wonder if Potton will sit alone in my chair. Thankfully, I have never had an autograph signing such a thing.
- That's true (laugh). Mr. Mashima, why do not you face? Mashima: Sometimes I do. However, it is not like I was a celebrity, I often go to TV, so I do not have much. There were things that happened when I went for a meal with the editor-in chief. In case of
- You will understand by listening to a conversation. Because we are talking about magazines.
- During the series, we had various challenges including 3 consecutive episodes for 2 consecutive weeks, 2 talks every 4 consecutive weeks, 5 magazines on business trips, 2 magazines at the same time and so on. Do you have anything left to do? Mashima: Well, I have no idea. Really doing various things. it was fun.
- That vitality, where does it come from? Mashima: I think I have to make it stand out. Manga artists should want to stand out more and more. That is the same in magazines as well, even in parts other than magazines. I think that it is a world that can not survive, so I am desperate. I would like to stand out consciously if I have the opportunity to dress in the future! - Even so, are there any hard work? Mashima: If you say it is strong, is it time to serialize at rival? I was drawing a comicalized work called "Monster Hunter Orage", but at the time I was serializing the Battle of Fairy Tail edition just for "FT", the density of the manuscripts increased dramatically. There are a lot of drawing of huge monsters and weapons at rival, and in "FT" main part, since the character increased at a stretch and the battle in town bought a lot of backgrounds came in.
- Listening is a terrible situation. Mashima: I thought that the serial series will never be done again, but eventually I decided to do it again at the time of "FT ZERO". However, at that time that was not too hard. The number of characters was narrowed down and I was able to draw it freely as I was because it was FT world view.
- How about one story? Mashima: Aa, you can get the preparation period properly, in fact it's not that hard. It's not just two stories drawn in a week, so I'm planning to draw it little by little. However, my heart hurts for a moment when my responsibility is badly said (laugh). It is told that "Editing also robbed Mashima's stock manuscript!" In case of
- It can not be helped because it is about half a fact (laugh). Game vacation is drawing another game again on game vacation. Mashima: Oh yeah. Once the release date of a favorite game is decided, I prepare from there and make a stock for one week. Properly declare it in charge. One day, I suddenly brought the name of two episodes, and one day suddenly 2 manuscripts of manuscripts arrived.
- It is amazing that there is no option to take a break. Mashima: I understand the responsibility at this time too, but when I offered that "I want to play games and want to advance names and manuscripts for the first week, It was. "What?" I was heard back with a huge high voice (laugh). In case of
- That's true. I have not thought of it as an idea, here. Mashima: But now it accepts us like a matter of course, so I like to enjoy my favorite game. - What is the plan for the next work? Mashima: I'm thinking a little, but I will take a short rest. I am told myself that I will absolutely go to the human dog even from charge and recently I tell myself that I am at work as well.
- Can I take a rest? Mashima: Completely .... It is impossible. Because there are things to do even if the work ends. Still if everything draws 20 pages a week, everything will change at all. I am thinking I should make it slow for the first time in 11 years. I think, but.
--But? Mashima: Like the weekly editor-in chief, "New serial ... ... as early as possible ..." (laugh)
- Like a spell (laugh) Mashima: Oh yeah (laugh). But since it is a serious story, I am so glad that I can say so, I will do my best to draw interesting cartoons next time. I would be happy if I can support the next work if it is ok!
- For 11 years, I really appreciate your work. Thank you very much! Mashima: Thank you too. Someday, in the next work! Thank you very much for reading so far! ! !
 

Linali

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2015
Messages
1,097
Reaction score
7,292
Gender
Female
Country
Poland
- What about Erza?
M: It's a character born from a snap decision. At first Gray and Erza were series characters. But they both became very popular, so I decided to make them regular members. That's why among the other characters Erza gives the strongest vibes of "the character raised by readers". She was growing along with them.
- She's strong, isn't she?
M: Yes, she is. She's like a symbol of "strenght" I wanted to draw. There lies her the greatest identity. That's why fans' reactions splited in two. There were people, who were saying: "I don't want to see Erza loosing no matter what!" and those, who were saying: "She's too strong. Make her loose once in a while".
- She's got girlish side too, isn't she?
M: She likes sweets and cute clothes, I'm also charmed by this side of her.
- What is the most memorable scene with Erza for you?
M: Pandemonium during GMG. I was able to draw a chapter, where Erza's strenght was the most prominent, thus it's my favourite. It's popular among the readers too. Erza has also "older sister" side, I like this kind of character.
- That's the first time I hear it.
M: Since childhood I longed for sister. That's why I do my best, when I draw characters like this. I remember, that that was the reason why Haru had a sister.
- I want to ask about other characters but there's so many of them... Maybe let's talk about one more.
M: Maybe Wendy then? Until then, in my mangas there was no little, cute warrior like her. But when she finally appeared, she was so, so cute (laugh). I draw her by myself, but I really came to like her.
- It could've been hard to treat her properly in battle manga.
M: If she wasn't a Dragon Slayer, probably she would become minor character. Originally I planed to create bit older female DS. But when I planned to create Wendy, I thought, that it's proper time to use this plan. In the end it was good decision.
- What is the most memorable scene with Wendy for you?
M: The final stage of her fight with Ezel, when she awakened DF. I managed to include her bond with Charla, just as I wanted. I even hesitated, if she won't die now. But I decided to not kill her, I didn't want to confuse readers, so forcibly I added scene, where Mest saves them both.
- I guess, there were various opinions about hurting Wendy.
M: She's a little girl, so I'm sure there were people, who were against. My editor also told me, that it's too much. But Wendy is not someone, who needs protection, she's a warrior. Warrior's duty is to fight, and when he fights, he gets injured and that is to be expected.
- You said that during preparatory meeting too, didn't you?
M: I wanted to draw Wendy as someone, who fights along with her friends. Even if she's a little girl, if she don't get injured along with her friends, then their friendship is falsehood. It may be painful, but there's no other way. She gets injuries, she has painful experiences, but I think that's what mean to be friends.
- Mashima's philosophy?
M: That's not such a cool thing (laugh). Actually there are countless of minor "FT rules" like this one. I can't explain it precisely, but when I'm was drawing FT, it was natural for me to remember about them.
[Here comes a part about "feeling the atmosphere" of manga; Mashima believes, that many mangakas has this ability]
- Various characters has various fans.
M: It's manga, so depending on chapter, there are salty opinions, some character may loose and a lot of fans of this character are mad. "Why did you make Gray go through something like that" for example.
- Do you worry about it?
M: I accept the critique overall, but I decided to not ponder over every opinion one-by-one. There are many fans, who aren't familiar with social network media, I can't focus only on those, who are. It refers to both posiitve and negative opinions.
- So the story isn't influenced by fans' voices?
M: I would like to say it's not, but is it really so? I intend to cut off from them, but maybe I receive them unconsciously. I'm not sure.
- Was there large amount of opinions on some matter?
M: I'm surprised that there are so many controversies around shipping. But in this case, I especially decided to not to take into consideration fans' opinion. I'm sorry, but I decided everything myself and I concluded it as I wanted.
- FT is very popular aboard too [not literally word by word, but meaning is the same]
M: I'm really glad, that FT became so popular aboard from the first chapters. That's why I decreased jokes and word plays as much as possible and drew round speech bubbles, so it was easier to translate.
- Did you aim at it?
M: No way, I'm surprised even now. I was wondering "Maybe that's why it became so popular?" many times, but I didn't find possible answer. I can only say, that I was really lucky.
- Do you actually feel, that your manga is received aboard?
M: Majority of my followers on Twitter are foreigners, so I really feel it. And foreign wiki is during completion. They write about detailes, that even I forgot about. Don't tell anybody, but I'm really thankful (laugh).
- Among all mangakas, you have the most followers on Twitter, it's over 1 milion people.
M: I'm grateful. I created account around GMG arc. By chance, it was a time of big popularity, so I received a lot of positive messages like "It was soooo interesting!". And as I'm a simple guy, it felt so good (laugh). Most of the messages come from foreigners too, so I'm trying to read them using translation software, once in a while I tweet something in English. Besides, pictures are commonly understandable all over the world, so I post a lot of scribbles, I hope my foreign fans are pleased.
-------------------------------------------------------------
I'll translate page three maybe tomorrow, it's long and tiring translation :p
 
Last edited:

Bishamonten

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 30, 2017
Messages
139
Reaction score
156
Age
27
Country
Joker
Next work is a serious story. Uh oh!
 

Cat Sidhe26

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 12, 2015
Messages
7,294
Reaction score
16,204
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Next work is a serious story. Uh oh!
Since Mashima's next series is going to be a serious story you think Mashima's next series will be a ****** or a dark fantasy? Also I like the reason Mashima said for why Haru has an older sister.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
M: If she wasn't a Dragon Slayer, probably she would become minor character. Originally I planed to create bit older female DS. But when I planned to create Wendy, I thought, that it's proper time to use this plan. In the end it was good decision.
Hiro ended up using this idea with Irene :3c. If Wendy was older than that means she would of been used for fanservice like Lucy and Erza, good thing that didn't happen. Plus I liked how she was a adolescent compared to everyone in Team Natsu, sort of fills out the team with all teenagers closing in on adulthood.
 

Linali

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2015
Messages
1,097
Reaction score
7,292
Gender
Female
Country
Poland
Hiro ended up using this idea with Irene :3c. If Wendy was older than that means she would of been used for fanservice like Lucy and Erza, good thing that didn't happen. Plus I liked how she was a adolescent compared to everyone in Team Natsu, sort of fills out the team with all teenagers closing in on adulthood.
I rather understand it as: he planned to create teenager/adult female DS, but when he created Wendy, he decided to give her DS power instead of creating other female character.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,556
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
The part about Mashima mentioning about the wikis and how detailed they can be stood out to me, and this makes sense: throughout reading FT, the one thing I've noticed is that it has no glaring plotholes. Minor inconistencies maybe, but none as glaring as some of Naruto's plotholes and this is thanks to him checking the wiki to double check his plots. Erza notwithstanding though.

This could hopefully set a precedent for future manga authors to check the fan wiki for something they're not sure about in their plot.

Also, 1M followers on twitter is definitely a historic achievement for Mashima and being the first one to do so. *crosses fingers for Horikoshi to get that much followers too one day*
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
The part about Mashima mentioning about the wikis and how detailed they can be stood out to me, and this makes sense: throughout reading FT, the one thing I've noticed is that it has no glaring plotholes. Minor inconistencies maybe, but none as glaring as some of Naruto's plotholes and this is thanks to him checking the wiki to double check his plots. Erza notwithstanding though.
I would say the most glaring plot hole is Anna coming to the future. The problem isn't her coming, it's just that why did F. Rogue and the dragons go back to their timeline after the gate was destroyed when Natsu and the other DS along with her didn't? Anna knew how the gate works if she told the king to destroy it, the biggest assumption is F. Rogue and the dragon came from the future, Anna and the dragon slayers came from the past but stuff like that needs to be defined clearly, it's not up to the reader to draw conclusions from things aren't easily conclusive. There are stuff we haven't seen that was mentioned in the manga or in volumes (God Serena's 4 elements, the reason behind the number 12 in Spriggan 12) but those are minor stuff fans want to see but aren't important to the plot I guess. Alvarez's aftermath should of been mentioned more besides a small tidbit that Fiore is trying to reconcile with them. Could of had that instead of the Mavis-Zeref stuff.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,556
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Ah right, I forgot about that.

That's true. But then again, time travel is ridiculously tricky to navigate. But aside from that, I can't find any other glaring plotholes either. And one plot hole is (slightly) better than having tons of it in Naruto which left the ending in tatters. I do think that this is a first where a mangaka has admitted to checking out the wikis of their own series, to double check their plot.
 

Bishamonten

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 30, 2017
Messages
139
Reaction score
156
Age
27
Country
Joker
I would say the most glaring plot hole is Anna coming to the future. The problem isn't her coming, it's just that why did F. Rogue and the dragons go back to their timeline after the gate was destroyed when Natsu and the other DS along with her didn't?
You do think whenever the gate is destroyed, all time-travelers past or future shall return to their time but it is not.
It's really simple, on the night of July 7th the Eclipse Gate is destroyed by Natsu, if there should be a future Rogue on X798 he couldn't travel 7 years in the past, hence the 7 dragons couldn't come through the gate, we can say same thing with future Lucy. Anna and the 5 DS came before the gate is destroying, they don't contradict history, Eclipse Gate doesn't affect them.
The plothole is in fact about needing two sides to open the door.
 

Rax

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2016
Messages
777
Reaction score
1,255
Age
31
Country
Tartaros
The difference was they destroyed it in the present, meaning F.Rogue could never use it in the future to come back and use it again.

Anna on the other hand Showed up BEFORE it was broken and came from the past, where as With it destroyed in x791 then it wasn't existent in x798, meaning F.Rogue and the dragons couldn't be there at all.
 

Cat Sidhe26

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 12, 2015
Messages
7,294
Reaction score
16,204
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Seeing that Hiro planned for Team Natsu to come back from Alvarez and the fights at the guild. Means that everything in volumes 51(the first chapter of the Alvarez arc was the last chapter in volume 51) - 56 was planned out.
 
Last edited:

Linali

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2015
Messages
1,097
Reaction score
7,292
Gender
Female
Country
Poland
Part 3
[Mashima doesn't have brieffing sessions for plot, but for storyboard only ever since Rave]
- Why so?
M: There are many authors, who can't draw storyboard without plot being decided. On the contrary, I can't draw storyboard with plot being decided. It limits me. I don't want it so I said to my editor "If it wasn't interesting, then reject it as many times as you wish, just don't reject the storyboard please". Now that I think, I sounded like cheeky youngster (laugh).
- But in the end FT became great manga.
M: At the beginning it was rejected many times (laugh).
- What changed since you were drawing Rave?
M: I became more aware of my readers' existance. In the past I was drawing what I wanted to draw, thinking, that if there were readers, who will be pleased, then it's ok. It was my editor's influence: "Maybe you want it draw like this, but I think, that fans would prefer something different".
- How about it now?
M: Now I myself think, how to please the readers even before editor tells me to do so. But in the end I'm lucky author, because things I wanted to draw and things Magazine's readers wanted to read were very similar. So it's not manga, in which I "killed" myself and draw only for fans. I always enjoy drawing mangas.
- You're going to official tours very often.
M: I visited many places, in the country and abord. Whereever I went, I was welcomed by local fans.
[It's not that Mashima likes to travel, but he has to go to various events in Japan and abord; sometimes he doesn't have a chance to finish his work on time and draws manuscript in hotels; sometimes before the sign meetings Hiro is anxious, if fans will come]
- How many chapters can you write at once?
M: I got enough time for preparations, so I didn't have problems with that. It's not that I draw 2 chapters per week, but I systematically draw little by little and accumulate it. But every time I do so, my editor deprecates me, it breaks my heart (laugh). "Editorial department snatched away manuscript from Mashima's stock again!".
- It's half truth, so what can I say (laugh). You accumulate drawings separately for game day off, don't you?
M: That's right. I love playing games, so when release date of the game is announced, I prepare one week ration and stock it. Ofc, I forwarn my editor about it. One day, I suddenly bring storyboad for two chapters, another day suddenly manuscript for two chapters arrives.
- That's incredible, that you don't choose to take a break.
M: Right now editors understand that. When I said "I want to play a game, so I'm going to bring storyboard and manuscript for one chapter ahead" for the first time, he just answered: "What?" in high voice (laugh).
[...]
- Do you plan your next manga already?
M: I think about it sometimes, but for now, I need some rest. My editor also persuades me to do medical check-up, lately he was telling me about rest even during work.
- Can you rest properly?
M: It's impossible to rest completely. My manga ended, but I still have things to do. Besides, now that I don't have to write 20 pages per week, everything will change. I think I can slow down for the first time in 11 years, but...
- But?
M: Editor-in-chief tells me every week: "Start your new series as soon as you can" (laugh).
- Sounds like mantra (laugh).
M: Exactly (laugh). On a serious note, he says so, because he cares, so I'll do my best with my next work. I'll be happy, if you will support my next manga too!
- Thank you for last 11 years.
M: Thank you too. See you again with my next work. Thank you for reading Fairy Tail until the end!
 

Anti Hero 3:16

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2017
Messages
588
Reaction score
785
Age
35
Country
United States
Part 3
[Mashima doesn't have brieffing sessions for plot, but for storyboard only ever since Rave]
- Why so?
M: There are many authors, who can't draw storyboard without plot being decided. On the contrary, I can't draw storyboard with plot being decided. It limits me. I don't want it so I said to my editor "If it wasn't interesting, then reject it as many times as you wish, just don't reject the storyboard please". Now that I think, I sounded like cheeky youngster (laugh).
- But in the end FT became great manga.
M: At the beginning it was rejected many times (laugh).
- What changed since you were drawing Rave?
M: I became more aware of my readers' existance. In the past I was drawing what I wanted to draw, thinking, that if there were readers, who will be pleased, then it's ok. It was my editor's influence: "Maybe you want it draw like this, but I think, that fans would prefer something different".
- How about it now?
M: Now I myself think, how to please the readers even before editor tells me to do so. But in the end I'm lucky author, because things I wanted to draw and things Magazine's readers wanted to read were very similar. So it's not manga, in which I "killed" myself and draw only for fans. I always enjoy drawing mangas.
- You're going to official tours very often.
M: I visited many places, in the country and abord. Whereever I went, I was welcomed by local fans.
[It's not that Mashima likes to travel, but he has to go to various events in Japan and abord; sometimes he doesn't have a chance to finish his work on time and draws manuscript in hotels; sometimes before the sign meetings Hiro is anxious, if fans will come]
- How many chapters can you write at once?
M: I got enough time for preparations, so I didn't have problems with that. It's not that I draw 2 chapters per week, but I systematically draw little by little and accumulate it. But every time I do so, my editor deprecates me, it breaks my heart (laugh). "Editorial department snatched away manuscript from Mashima's stock again!".
- It's half truth, so what can I say (laugh). You accumulate drawings separately for game day off, don't you?
M: That's right. I love playing games, so when release date of the game is announced, I prepare one week ration and stock it. Ofc, I forwarn my editor about it. One day, I suddenly bring storyboad for two chapters, another day suddenly manuscript for two chapters arrives.
- That's incredible, that you don't choose to take a break.
M: Right now editors understand that. When I said "I want to play a game, so I'm going to bring storyboard and manuscript for one chapter ahead" for the first time, he just answered: "What?" in high voice (laugh).
[...]
- Do you plan your next manga already?
M: I think about it sometimes, but for now, I need some rest. My editor also persuades me to do medical check-up, lately he was telling me about rest even during work.
- Can you rest properly?
M: It's impossible to rest completely. My manga ended, but I still have things to do. Besides, now that I don't have to write 20 pages per week, everything will change. I think I can slow down for the first time in 11 years, but...
- But?
M: Editor-in-chief tells me every week: "Start your new series as soon as you can" (laugh).
- Sounds like mantra (laugh).
M: Exactly (laugh). On a serious note, he says so, because he cares, so I'll do my best with my next work. I'll be happy, if you will support my next manga too!
- Thank you for last 11 years.
M: Thank you too. See you again with my next work. Thank you for reading Fairy Tail until the end!
I guess even the editor was fed up with all the BS he was writing in this arc that he insisted him to have a medical checkup to see whether he has gone insane.
 
Top