Seinen Historie by Iwaaki Hitoshi

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
It's really making me just more curious for the future what will come. Nice win situation there for Eumenes :D
 

Maikeru Anjero

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 31, 2011
Messages
6
Reaction score
2
Gender
Female
Country
Japan
My complain for this chapter is how short this chapter is.
How Hecataeus fate after this? With Eu is back with a higher position from him, at least I would like Eumenes name cleared and the truth of the killing was revealed to the public.
Hecataeus walking and Eumenes riding his horse, showing their position now is a good thing to see.
I wonder if two friends of Eumenes and brother will play an important role in the next story.
Childhood girlfriend has married someone else, so I do not think she will appear again. She already throw away momento of Eumenes and said she does not want slave acquaintance anyway.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
There's a new chapter out. Ch 69 by Hox. What do you guys think?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Great chapter. Eumenes bossing around the guy (forgot his name) who sold him into slavery and seeing the beginnings of each sides war strategy was fantastic. I guess the series proper starts now, with Philip beginning his conquests.

One complaint: Iwaaki's backgrounds suck. And the worst part is, he is doing it deliberately. All of the backgrounds were sketches, it's obvious he's waiting for the tankobon to fill them in. He's always done this, but with the war about to start it's so much more conspicuous.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
lol I never cared for the backgrounds.

hmm, i'm not familiar with this part of history... does Alexander not appear in this war?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I'm worried that when the war starts, the detail in the art will be lacking. Iwaaki does really nice work for the tankobon too.

Alexander is still to young. Philip completes the conquest of Greece before being assassinated. Alexander conquers the Persians after succeeding his father. He is about 20 years old when he becomes king, he should be 15 or 16 at this point in the story.
 

You Say

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2009
Messages
240
Reaction score
618
Gender
Male
Country
Czech Republic
After FOUR insanely long months Hitoshi Iwaaki drawed new chapter! Fairly good chapter I must say. He uncovered a little part of Macedonian strategy and finally introduces "that" great general and person. I'm not sure if it's actual historical fact but my teacher of history once told me that Phocion had sometimes a great sense of humor. He allegedly told into face of some other general that: "People would kill you right now, if they came to they senses." or something like that. I hope this will appear in main story.

And the seventh volume of Historie will be released at 22nd of Nowember. There should be Eumenes' chess version included. And the chapter itself can be found at Hox Edited Mangas.
 

TheMoa

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 25, 2010
Messages
3,380
Reaction score
2,195
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
What a great manga. I started today and already passed through all 71 chapters.

I'm curious about the war developments.
 

Hamy

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2010
Messages
2,091
Reaction score
939
Gender
Hidden
Country
Hong Kong
One complaint: Iwaaki's backgrounds suck. And the worst part is, he is doing it deliberately. All of the backgrounds were sketches, it's obvious he's waiting for the tankobon to fill them in. He's always done this, but with the war about to start it's so much more conspicuous.
This is my complaint as well its far TOO noticeable, ala HXH, it just reeks of a rush job (which is odd because this isn't a weekly but monthly series). Moreover, I also do have qualms about the liberties he's taken, i.e. the so called split personality of Alexander (there was only one letter but even then it could easily have been a saying besides it completely disregards the few facts known about Hephastion and went hog wild going with his own liberties). I'm not TOO impressed given that the selling point of this manga is that it is a sort of historical recreation, course there is fiction but for those more familiar with history would easily find very noticeable liberties (the chess game and CPR anybody XD) that require too much suspension of disbelief.

In fact this is why I see background art as being important as it does show the know how of the author with regard to the details of his/her manga. With a historical manga such as this it does reflect as well to certain facts used or rather misused that does lead to misinformation to readers not aware of the history, in turn making me question the aim of the manga that wanted to pay reverence to it. It also is a waste IMO of the educational aspect that this sort of rare genre has to offer. I can rant on and on but for a better comparison I'd just compare Kaoru Mori's works to Iwaaki Hitoshi, they both made other historical mangas, to see the difference in their ability to take note of details and how that relates quite well to the history they are depicting in their manga.

Anycase I do not think Eumenes would get together with his first girlfriend as his wife historically is the younger sister of Barsine~.
 
Last edited:

You Say

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2009
Messages
240
Reaction score
618
Gender
Male
Country
Czech Republic
So, new chapter is out. But I have a different thing on my mind. I was recently rereading 7th volume and I noticed something wierd about Eumenes' clothes. So I took a look at the magazine chapters and I noticed this change (in spoiler below). When I was reading chapter it seemed kind of weird to me that Eumenes was wearing an armour because he wasn't participating in this campaign as a military leader. And Iwaaki seriously changed it for bundled release. That man is truly a genius.


Iwaaki and sketches in magazine chapters. This topic is mentioned pretty often. I personally don't give a damn about it. Iwaaki is author I deeply respect and I'm willing to wait a year and half or even more for one great volume of Historie. I think that he works without assistants because there's never a page with mentioned staff or anything. And if he would have assistants, why wouldn't he let them make backgrounds, right? Historie is Iwaaki's work which he writes and draws "for himself". I mean he has (really) great mangaka career behind him - Hone no Oto, Tanabata no Kuni, Heureka and of course Kiseijuu, magnificent piece of art which catapulted Iwaaki to the ranks of seriously respected authors in Japan (It sold over 10 millions copies). And he wrote even more stuff. So he really deserves unrestricted schedule.

By the Gods, I wish publishers would just stop licensing trash and went for something like this masterpiece.
 
Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I'm beginning to think it's better to read this manga in one bulk... I forget the details and names too much if it's monthly...
 
Top