How can I improve character for my book?

flickimp

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Age
48
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to create conceptual art for my novel.... The Last Strider.... www.laststrider.com

Unfortunatelty, I am struggling with getting my drawings to look right and ...shadowing...well I suck at that

Adivce, tips, any support in Leicester UK?

Tools: Photoshop CS3, Cintiq 12, my brain and enthusiasm

www.laststrider.com
 

AnkorSVK

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2009
Messages
105
Reaction score
20
Gender
Male
Country
Slovakia
I am trying to create conceptual art for my novel.... The Last Strider.... www.laststrider.com

Unfortunatelty, I am struggling with getting my drawings to look right and ...shadowing...well I suck at that

Adivce, tips, any support in Leicester UK?

Tools: Photoshop CS3, Cintiq 12, my brain and enthusiasm

www.laststrider.com

Learn you to draw throug internet is a bit retarded.
From my point i can create better chars with pencils than the one in the conceptual art (would expect way better from a cintiq user :P)
I would more suggest you to look for amateurs in the Artists' Studio section look through the drawings which ppl can produce and if you find someone who is drawing in the way you would like ask them to create some for you.I think they will give you a hand as long as you credit them.
 

aarenlainey

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Ukraine
If it is well written it will be okay but no offense I just sounds familiar this plot has been used so many times I cant tell you how many books these days are about teens that have super natural powers destined to save the world if you want the book to be popular try to make it modern but origanal or else it would be like reading a recycled version of harry potter or the lightning thief and also it doesn't seem like a good idea to make a vampire like edward stephanie meyer would be after you like a hawk and I don't like calm vampires like in twilight I like the origanal vampires like in dracula.
 

Syphilias

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2009
Messages
93
Reaction score
13
Age
38
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
It seems you already have the plot down, so I will not mess with that.

As far as character creation goes, the conceptual art seems to show the character traits of the warrior characters pretty well. Strider could use some more work, but if you INTENTION is to portray him as a normal cat, then you are right on target. Many people try to add character to their characters by making them look unique, or give them some special powers, but real characters have a soul. Real characters have real emotions, and know in their hearts what is right, even if they are a supposedly "evil" character. If you know the INTENTION of your character, you can bring that out through their drawings. I can tell just by looking at the warrior characters each of their own personalities, even though they look like "generic" warriors. The way they are standing, the expressions on their face, the COVERING of their face, all of these things show the true reality of a character.

I'd say that since you have the plot worked out, do some delving into the soul of each character individually. Ask some of these questions about each character:

What do they want in the end?

How would the character react to a close friend betraying them? Would they disown them? Would they try to get to the root of why they betrayed them?

Why is this character important to the story?

What skills do they have? More importantly, why did they choose to develop these skills? Did the need to pick up a sword arise from desperation for a loved one? Status symbol? Money? All of these are valid, and nothing is less than another. The point that matters most is making your character REAL. Real people have real INTENTIONS.

INTENTION!!!


http://www.writingforums.com/writing-101/62640-characterization-corner.html

This may help more than I can. Enjoy!
 
Last edited:

~FrienD~

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2009
Messages
257
Reaction score
30
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
umm. well since you worked with an artist its his problem designing characters, your only task is to point out the char's weak/strong points and attitude so that illustration would match character. btw are u the author or the artist?

And behold you have the "legendary almighty tool" cintiq at your possession.
 
Top