Question - How close to the brink is humanity? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question How close to the brink is humanity?

RIplian

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Considering the latest circumstances, how close do you think humanity is to being completely screwed?

This is of course taking into account casualties, likelihood of Titan Shifter attack, and whether or not the Resistance succeeds. I get this might be an odd type of question, but as you guys read the manga, how much hope do you actually have for the freedom of humanity?

Feel free to bring up whatever you think contributes to your "amount of hope," even Mikasa's rockhard abs.

Personally, I'll go the Eren route and say that it's a ruse to draw in every possible enemy and kill them in one swoop. Because, you know, he'll kill all the titans..... :teehee

TheOwl

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Albania
Considering the latest circumstances, how close do you think humanity is to being completely screwed?

This is of course taking into account casualties, likelihood of Titan Shifter attack, and whether or not the Resistance succeeds. I get this might be an odd type of question, but as you guys read the manga, how much hope do you actually have for the freedom of humanity?

Feel free to bring up whatever you think contributes to your "amount of hope," even Mikasa's rockhard abs.

Personally, I'll go the Eren route and say that it's a ruse to draw in every possible enemy and kill them in one swoop. Because, you know, he'll kill all the titans..... :teehee
Unless the central government has some sort of secret info or secret weapon (likely the former) that they can use against the Titans or Warriors, humanity is not as screwed as it seems. If it doesn't, they still have Eren, Mikasa, Levi and Kenny (who should be very good with the regular 3DMG).

ArtIristic

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Pretty close, considering that there are less than a million people inside the Walls, but there are tons of tribes and other societies that have survived for centuries even though bearing smaller numbers than those inside the Walls.
Of course, they didn't have killer giants eating their population.

Also, there might still be a lot of people who live outside the Walls. Who knows how many?
But at the end of the series, I could see humanity repopulating.

Eren being bait for the enemy could easily be their motivations. Not really a good idea though.
It'll be like if Denmark told America: "Hey, we got, like, instructions on how to make nuclear weapons. Mind ignoring us a bit?"

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Unless the central government has some sort of secret info or secret weapon (likely the former) that they can use against the Titans or Warriors, humanity is not as screwed as it seems. If it doesn't, they still have Eren, Mikasa, Levi and Kenny (who should be very good with the regular 3DMG).
This.

If they succeed to save Eren and Historia their chances will rise significantly. Levi is just invincible as of now, only Kenny can beat him but I can see Eren's friends die soon, I don't think they will save them without losing someone, last time it was Hannes... Mikasa( and she is becoming more pen to others lately) and Jean came close to death, Armin is too awesome to die now, Marlow and Hitch won't die now that they will finally get more importance, Sasha is alive because of the fans, Connie still did nothing too important.

Who will die? Mikasa, Jean and Sasha have the highest chances IMO.

Super Angillis

Reviewer
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Humanity is going to be in trouble someday soon. Monkey Trouble. There are so many bad implications from him, it's not funny. The fact he is studying the 3DMG also isn't good. And even without him we still have the regular Titans, and the shifters. Don't let the newer, smarter shifters make you forget the threat of the regular titans. There are a lot of them. Serously look how many flooded into Trost in just a day. Yeah Levi and Mikasa can kill them left and right. But the can't kill all the titans. We have no idea of how many of them there are, but the answer seems to be lots. Eventually the horde will just overwhelm and exaust via attrition. Hiding behind the walls bought time, but then a hole got kicked in it...

In a loosing or stalemate conflict you have to be able to do something new in order to turn it around. Eren was that something new. For a hundred years mankind couldn't fight the titans. Eren allowed the first time mankind managed to turn things around even a little bit. Now technological advances are another major way. But the conspiracy has been preventing those. And that has brought mankind to the brink. Advances are a must. Because here's how close mankind behind the walls is to extinction. Four holes. Four gates. And boom, the titans are everywhere. They'll just keep coming, and they won't be killed fast enough to stop the advance. They need better means of killing the titans, and more knowledge about the titans. Otherwise it's just a matter of time.

ArtIristic

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Humanity is going to be in trouble someday soon. Monkey Trouble. There are so many bad implications from him, it's not funny. The fact he is studying the 3DMG also isn't good.
Actually... He sorta threw the thing away

It's a giant monkey. With or without 3DMG study he still has the advantage of turning people into his mindless little army.
I have no idea why he would steal it, just to throw it away. I guess he figured humanity's only effective weapon is still kind of weak against them.

Like you said, the Shifters could at any moment break through, and the end credits won't be far from there.
I guess the conspiracy is really confident with their "plan", if they're that gutsy enough in halting technological advancements that could save all of humanity (or at least what's inside of the Walls)
Their Walls are filled with 50M Titans, so that must be their ace cards they're so confident in. Knowing AoT, it will probably backfire.
Or maybe they have another secret ace card with Goddesses involved and fighting the Shifter enemies . (<-- Yeah, not gonna happen)

I'm sure Rose will be breached sometime soon to raise the ante a bit, just like Pixis said in the beginning.
I would totally go for the ending where everything devolves into total chaos and everyone ends up killing each other.
An ending where everything went horribly wrong, or horribly right?

leneq

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Who will die? Mikasa, Jean and Sasha have the highest chances IMO.
Mikasa for sure won't die anytime soon. Both endings were focused mostly on her - I'd dare to say she's actually more important than Eren. She is one of the biggest unknowns of this series and we'll need her to learn about her past.

Actually... He sorta threw the thing away
There's no proof he threw it, it might have been one of the soldier's 3dmg, however it kinda rises a question why it has it's own panel, as if Isayama really wanted us to notice it... but it might be just to show the contrast between useless 3dmg and Krista's wish to have a weapon

About the main question... if not for Ape Titan it would be 4-10 years, but because of it it's going to come way sooner. Or at least the big fight that will decide it all.
Bertholdt and Reiner only destroyed gates not the walls itself - they either knew there were titans inside or had such instructions. Scouting Legion was on a mission when they destroyed two gates in one day and even if they managed to catch up with them, their swords would be useless against Armored Titan's skin. It took them some time to get to Wall Maria, but I don't see why they didn't try to destroy another wall the next day or whenever they got to it. They destroyed another gate after 5 years and were supposed to destroy Wall Rose the same day, but somehow Reiner chickened out or whatever. I'd say that Wall Sina was also supposed to be destroyed after another 5 years, but it's just a guess as there is no evidence for it.
I just believe that they're actually good guys who have some legit motif for what they're doing.

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
For me this is one of those things that kinda are up in the air. So far what has humanity on the brink appears to be attacks from shifters however humanity is still not entirely aware of how likely one is. For me the biggest issue humanity has is uncertainty so they are working with a worst case scenario state of mind so to speak.

From what I gather what reyner and berholt did was more of their own plan than an order so I am not even sure if the warriors beyond the walls see humanity as enemies. In context the idea is weird considering everything. If they wanted humanity wiped out they could have done so already. The case can be made that they need something from humanity but that does not mean they have to destroy humanity after getting it. At large humanity is unaware of them and unable to even leave the walls. Perhaps one of the reasons technology has been stunted within the walls by the government was to stop humanity from finding the means to fight titans. They allowed the scouting legion but then away them actually doing something even with their gear is impossible. Who knows, if technology hadn't been stunted by the crown they would have probably already found better means to fight titans which would be bad for the warriors outside the wall.

leneq

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
From what I gather what reyner and berholt did was more of their own plan than an order
you mean destroying gates or kidnapping Eren? Because the latter one seems like something they really did out of the blue. They thought he's the "coordinate" and so they gave up the previous mission as the coordinate is more important most probably.

220kz

Reaction score
Country
Germany
If they turn the mindless titans back and the governments all like
we have some good news and some bad news for you:

You won't have to keep on living as mindless maneaters
but we won't give you any food either - good luck.

Though I'm not sure if the humans inside the walls are really
all to be killed especially by the Beast Titan - since he was
kinda using them so what would be the point of trying to kill
them all?