Discussion How long do you spend cleaning a page?

student_sol

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 10, 2009
Messages
37
Reaction score
6
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
I just began Editing (with some photoshop experience)

but I think I'm spending way too much time.... and the results are still LQ!! OTL



I just want a rough idea on how long cleaning should take if done efficiently...

How long do you guys spend cleaning a page for LQ/MQ/HQ scans?


Oh and I spend around 40~60 min per page...
 
Last edited:

[Ju-Ni]Vicissitude

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2007
Messages
128
Reaction score
119
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Survey: How long do you spend cleaning a page?

It might not matter for lower-quality pages, but I do HQ Bleach cleans and it varies by page. Some take an hour or so, some could take upwards of 12 hours. I've had pages like both. Mostly it's all the fiddly line redrawing for me. Patterns can be a pain in the ass sometimes. :v
 

student_sol

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 10, 2009
Messages
37
Reaction score
6
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Survey: How long do you spend cleaning a page?

[Ju-Ni]Vicissitude;1571140 said:
It might not matter for lower-quality pages, but I do HQ Bleach cleans and it varies by page. Some take an hour or so, some could take upwards of 12 hours. I've had pages like both. Mostly it's all the fiddly line redrawing for me. Patterns can be a pain in the ass sometimes. :v

12 hours??

.............-_-;;

Maybe I should just jump off from taipei 101 and die... OTL
 

L0ki

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2009
Messages
336
Reaction score
101
Gender
Hidden
Country
Argentina
Re: Survey: How long do you spend cleaning a page?

For Bleach magazine scans (HQ for Maximum 7) between 2 and 5 hours.

For Claymore and Berserk magazine scans (MQ or MQ/HQ with nice raws) 5-10 minutes.

For Berserk volumes 5-15 minutes but I spend most of that time fixing small imperfections that probably only I'd notice.
 

[Ju-Ni]Vicissitude

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2007
Messages
128
Reaction score
119
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Survey: How long do you spend cleaning a page?

For Bleach magazine scans (HQ for Maximum 7) between 2 and 5 hours.
Ahem. AND Ju-ni.


And yes, I've spent up to 12 hours on a spread before. Mostly it was a lot of really annoying details. I've since gotten faster, since that was almost 50 chapters ago.
 

chiresakura

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 4, 2007
Messages
210
Reaction score
1,386
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Survey: How long do you spend cleaning a page?

I just began Editing
I think that answers your question right there. Everyone is slow at the beginning. If they're not slow, then I guarantee they suck. Most importantly, make sure you learn to do things RIGHT (like learning what good leveling looks like). Have faith when we tell you that you WILL get faster as you get more experience :D

Also, like L0ki said, the raws make all the difference, so asking other people about how long they spend cleaning won't help much unless it's the same series you're doing. (You didn't mention that in your post.)

[Ju-Ni]Vicissitude;1572605 said:
Ahem. AND Ju-ni.
I think L0ki was just clarifying which group he cleans for. Not everyone is as obvious as me and you ;)
 

student_sol

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 10, 2009
Messages
37
Reaction score
6
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Survey: How long do you spend cleaning a page?

I think that answers your question right there. Everyone is slow at the beginning. If they're not slow, then I guarantee they suck. Most importantly, make sure you learn to do things RIGHT (like learning what good leveling looks like). Have faith when we tell you that you WILL get faster as you get more experience :D

Also, like L0ki said, the raws make all the difference, so asking other people about how long they spend cleaning won't help much unless it's the same series you're doing. (You didn't mention that in your post.)
Really?? Thanks for the advice chiresakura.

I've just began Editing Witch Hunter but the raw quality is terrible,

I can't even read the text on some pages. (Is this what you call a LQ raw?)



Hmm I thought I was overdoing it, but looks like I'm nowhere near you guys yet!

And nice site, I just bookmarked it :) (Do you use a graphic tablet?)
 

[Ju-Ni]Vicissitude

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2007
Messages
128
Reaction score
119
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Survey: How long do you spend cleaning a page?

I've just began Editing Witch Hunter but the raw quality is terrible,

I can't even read the text on some pages. (Is this what you call a LQ raw?)
Possibly. Can you put up a page as an example?

(Do you use a graphic tablet?)
A few on my team use a tablet. I tried, but I just couldn't get the hang of it. I'm using the mouse.
 

student_sol

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 10, 2009
Messages
37
Reaction score
6
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Survey: How long do you spend cleaning a page?

[Ju-Ni]Vicissitude;1573158 said:
Possibly. Can you put up a page as an example?



A few on my team use a tablet. I tried, but I just couldn't get the hang of it. I'm using the mouse.


what do you think Ju-Ni?
 

[Ju-Ni]Vicissitude

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2007
Messages
128
Reaction score
119
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Survey: How long do you spend cleaning a page?

Oh God!


Yeah, that'd be LQ. Definitely. Take a look at some of the raws that come up on the front page. I've uploaded quite a few myself, since I scan Shounen Jump. Rena_Chan's an excellent example of both MQ and HQ, since she uploads two copies of her chapters.
 

student_sol

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 10, 2009
Messages
37
Reaction score
6
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Survey: How long do you spend cleaning a page?

[Ju-Ni]Vicissitude;1573373 said:
Oh God!


Yeah, that'd be LQ. Definitely. Take a look at some of the raws that come up on the front page. I've uploaded quite a few myself, since I scan Shounen Jump. Rena_Chan's an excellent example of both MQ and HQ, since she uploads two copies of her chapters.
Looks like you only upload HQ raws :)

my conclusion after taking a peek at your bleach/beelzebub raw is that

the raw i got were probably not scanned, but photographed...



I've also checked the bleach scans from your group....

VERY impressive!

it's easily the most HQ scan i've ever seen... amazing!



maybe when Witch Hunter volume 9 comes out i should get one for

myself... the raws are just plain terrible ㅠㅠ
 

senbonzakura_17

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 21, 2009
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
Re: Survey: How long do you spend cleaning a page?

I just began Editing (with some photoshop experience)

but I think I'm spending way too much time.... and the results are still LQ!! OTL



I just want a rough idea on how long cleaning should take if done efficiently...

How long do you guys spend cleaning a page for LQ/MQ/HQ scans?
<hr noshade size="1">
Oh and I spend around 40~60 min per page...
Cleaning raw pages can be very time consuming at first. I'm not a Manga Editor but the way I do it is read any tutorial related to manga cleaning a lot. Then choose the method which suits you the best. Steps are also important since it will keep you organize without ruining anything. If you always keep this in mind I'm sure you can finish cleaning your page in appropriate time & achieve the quality you desire. This is an example page that I've done.





While trying to achieve HQ scans, this page tooks roughly about 2-3 hours. Well, make sense does it? :D
 

L0ki

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2009
Messages
336
Reaction score
101
Gender
Hidden
Country
Argentina
Re: Survey: How long do you spend cleaning a page?

Isn't that one of M7 test pages? It will probably take more than 3 hours for a newbie to clean it...
 

student_sol

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 10, 2009
Messages
37
Reaction score
6
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Survey: How long do you spend cleaning a page?

ZOMG what is that hideous thing?
does that mean it's impossible to make a HQ scan out of it LOki?

maybe that explains why something didn't feel right after cleaning :)



well even with a decent raw, it looks like i have a long way to go

til i can start producing HQ scans...

HQ scans here are terrifyingly clean -_-;;


Isn't that one of M7 test pages? It will probably take more than 3 hours for a newbie to clean it...
M7 test page? Is it like a cleaning challenge?

It's a raw, page 15, chapter 26 in Witch Hunter which I'm working on

right now.... and 3 hours?! i was lazy so i just used filters on chap 25 to

reduce the work... At the cost of details though.


While trying to achieve HQ scans, this page tooks roughly about 2-3 hours. Well, make sense does it? :D
nice sebonzakura!
 
Last edited:

L0ki

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2009
Messages
336
Reaction score
101
Gender
Hidden
Country
Argentina
Re: Survey: How long do you spend cleaning a page?

does that mean it's impossible to make a HQ scan out of it LOki?

maybe that explains why something didn't feel right after cleaning :)
There's not much you can do with that kind of raws.

M7 test page? Is it like a cleaning challenge?

It's a raw, page 15, chapter 26 in Witch Hunter which I'm working on

right now.... and 3 hours?! i was lazy so i just used filters on chap 25 to

reduce the work... At the cost of details though.
I was talking about the page that senbonzakura posted. It's one of the pages you have to clean in order to become a Bleach Maximum 7 cleaner. Look in M7 forum - cleaning academy if you're interested. We (they) can help you improve if you're really serious about becoming a HQ cleaner.
 

[Ju-Ni]Vicissitude

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2007
Messages
128
Reaction score
119
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Survey: How long do you spend cleaning a page?

does that mean it's impossible to make a HQ scan out of it LOki?
Well, maybe not IMPOSSIBLE, but probably not worth the effort. Finding a better scan would lead to a much better page overall.

M7 test page? Is it like a cleaning challenge?
If M7 is like Ju-Ni (and I think they are ;) ) the cleaning test is a way to gauge someone's initial level of proficiency in cleaning and allow them to practice their work as they move up to HQ cleaning. So it's sort of like a challenge. I know that we included a number of pages of varying difficulties. As people move through them, they get to learn new techniques and work on harder pages.
 

Galooza

Manga Editor
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 4, 2009
Messages
12
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Survey: How long do you spend cleaning a page?

I try do do MQ/HQ on most of my stuff while still competing for first release. Sometimes successful with that, sometimes not. I'm a slow burner, can't help it. But I take anywhere from 20 mins - an hour, possible an hour and a half per page for hard to clean stuff. This page took me somewhere around 40 mins - an hour I think it was http://i28.tinypic.com/27ycxkw.png
 
Top