Done How would you translate this sentence?

FirstAidTent

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 14, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
あんたには バチが あたってほしいわ

Having som trouble translating this sentence.
 

serizawa

ならぬことはならぬ
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2008
Messages
72
Reaction score
80
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Nations
It's something like "I wish you'll pay [dearly] for it/that!" :)

Hope this helps...
 

noutenki

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 10, 2012
Messages
26
Reaction score
22
Gender
Hidden
Country
Wallis & Futuna
バチ (罰)means "punishment", あたる(当たる) means "hit" or "strike". Verb in te-form + ほしい (欲しい) means "want that [verb] happens". わ is a kind of particle that doesn't really have that much meaning (a bit like "well" in English) and is mostly used by women. Put together, the literal translation is "I want that punishment hits you", but don't use that, it's just for explanation.
 
Last edited:

Jazzu

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 17, 2012
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
England
I personally prefer be a little liberal with the literal meaning where necessary. Many literal translations of Japanese phrases may make some sense in English, but let's be honest - how likely would you be to hear someone say "I want you to be struck with retribution"?

As Serizawa posted, I would go with something along the lines of "I want you to pay for it/that/everything you've done", depending on whatever it is the speaker wants her target to recieve punishment for.
 
Top