Typesetting Hyphens vs. No Hyphens

Hyphens vs. No Hyphens

  • Hyphens - nice shape

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No Hyphens - bad shape

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Don't care, as long as it fits the bubble

    Votes: 1 25.0%

  • Total voters
    4

Bizkit

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 4, 2013
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
When typesetting, if you come across some text that won't fit decently in a bubble, what do you prefer to do? Do you prefer to use hypens in order to make the shape of the text look good, or do you prefer to not use hyphens even though the shape of the text is bad? Me: I usually go the no hyphens route.
 

Iceiphoenix

Hunter x Queen
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2010
Messages
2,353
Reaction score
2,443
Gender
Female
Country
Australia
As someone who typesets for various groups, I usually typeset according to the tastes of head typesetters. One group wants the best shape possible, even if it means a few hyphens, and another group tends to avoid hyphens unless absolutely necessary.
As for my personal opinion, I usually don't use hyphens unless the shape without one is horrible.

I suppose another annoying thing would be really narrow bubbles where the translation has pretty long words. :XD
 

Gradonil_Ral

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2008
Messages
170
Reaction score
63
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
I always use hyphens. And I always split words by syllables.
The only time I do not use a hyphen is when a bubble is so narrow that a single syllable plus the hyphen don't fit inside.
 
Top