Seinen - Initial D by Shigeno Shuichi | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Initial D by Shigeno Shuichi

TechnoMagus

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
Well I think it's about time Initial D's got its own thread and hopefully a child board here at Mangahelpers. For the moment, this will be the mega convo thread that is anything Initial D related (that includes manga, anime, live action movie, games, soundtracks, cars, driving/drifting techniques, terminologies and popular culture/real life situations).

Much of the information will be from http://en.wikipedia.org and http://www.animenewsnetwork.com

I will try to update this with more details and links when I have the time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To sum my experiences with this series....
"Started as a newb on the "theoretics" of cars/mechanics/techniques similar to the protagonist (Takumi Fujiwara)...
And like the main character, your knowledge base regarding these will increase substantially as you progress in the series..."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INITIALD

Initial D
Title : [SIZE=-1]�**文�*�[/SIZE] (イニシャル)D (Inisharu Dī; lit., "Kashiramoji Dī") INITIAL D
Mangaka : Shuichi Shigeno
Original Publisher : Kondansha, TOKYOPOP
Serialized by : Young Magazine
Genre : Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Romance, Shounen/Seinen, Slice of Life, Sports (Auto Racing)
Age Rating : Teenagers (May contain bloody violence, bad language, nudity)

The anime and manga focus on the world of illegal Japanese street racing, where all the action is concentrated in the mountain passes (�* ,tōge) and never in cities nor urban areas, and the drift racing style is emphasized in particular. Keiichi Tsuchiya (土屋�*市) helps with editorial supervision. The story is centered around the Japanese prefecture of Gunma (群馬), more specifically on several mountains in the prefecture and in and their surrounding cities and towns. Although some of the names of the locations the characters race in have been fictionalized all of the locations in the series are based on actual locations in Gunma Prefecture.

Short Summary

"Set in the late 1990s in Japan's Gunma Prefecture, the series follows the adventures of Takumi Fujiwara, an eighteen year old who helps his father run a tofu shop by making deliveries every morning to a hotel on Akina with his father's Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX. It is revealed that Takumi has been driving on Mt. Akina every morning to deliver tofu to the summit 5 years before he even had his license. As a result his skills are highly honed and he is also skilled at driving in adverse weather conditions. In mountain pass racing, power is not the only key to winning. Balance, skill, and courage are what is needed to win. Mountain pass racing (also known as "touge") is divided into two areas, downhill and Hillclimb (Uphill). The hillclimb relies more on the car's power and the driver's acceleration control. The downhill depends primarily on the driver's braking and steering techniques, and requires less raw power from the car."

Groups Editing

"The manga and anime have also been licensed by TOKYOPOP for an English release. Many fans questioned TOKYOPOP's intent when it changed some characters' names and gave others Americanized nicknames."

"As a result of these alterations and the ensuing dissent by fans, a number of fans have opted to obtain illegal fansubs in boycott of the TOKYOPOP releases. Normally the use of fansubs is considered acceptable by most fans only if there is no licensing of a series by an American company or announced American release or translation plans."

"The manga was also subject to the same name editing as the anime; the street slang was toned down and TOKYOPOP has been leaning toward the Japanese names in later volumes."

Volumes 1-7 by TFT; 8-15 no groups/"TOKYOPOP scan"; 16-27, 28(Ch357-370) by Inane; 28(371-373) 29+ by Project 88.

Status of the Initial D manga translation/Edited Manga (Volume 32+) being worked upon by BOZZ and Nomake Wan as Great Translating Manga Organization from Initial D World Forums (http://idforums.net/index.php?showtopic=29809)
Kicked the bucket before any translations were done...oh, well...;)
Keep it up Project 88!!!!:confetti

Download Sources

#lurk on IRCHighway. Get the packet listings here
Direct Download links here

Initial D: Manga Adaptation (1995 - 200X)

Part 1: Akina's Eight-Six
  • Manga Volume 01: Trueno AE86 vs RX-7 FD3S (unofficial) RAW || TFT Scan
  • Manga Volume 02: Trueno AE86 vs RX-7 FD3S RAW || TFT Scan
  • Manga Volume 03: Trueno AE86 vs GT-R R32 RAW || TFT Scan
  • Manga Volume 04: Trueno AE86 vs Civic Si-R II EG6 (unofficial) (official in anime) RAW || TFT Scan
  • Manga Volume 05: Trueno AE86 vs RX-7 FC3S RAW || TFT Scan
  • Manga Volume 06: Trueno AE86 vs SilEighty (private battle) RAW || TFT Scan
  • Manga Volume 07: RX-7 FD3S vs GT-R R32 RAW || TFT Scan
  • Manga Volume 08: Trueno AE86 vs Silvia Q S14 RAW || "TOKYOPOP" Scan
  • Manga Volume 09: Trueno AE86 vs Lan-Evo IV RAW || "TOKYOPOP Scan"
  • Manga Volume 10: Trueno AE86 vs Lan-Evo III (somewhat unofficial) RAW || "TOKYOPOP Scan"
  • Manga Volume 11: RX-7 FC3S vs Lan-Evo III RAW || "TOKYOPOP Scan"
  • Manga Volume 12: RX-7 FD3S vs Levin AE86 Turbo (unofficial, not really considered) RAW || "TOKYOPO Scan"
  • Manga Volume 13: Trueno AE86 vs Levin AE86 Turbo (private battle) RAW || "TOKYOPOP Scan"
  • Manga Volume 14: Trueno AE86 vs Lan-Evo III RAW || "TOKYOPOP Scan"
  • Manga Volume 15: Trueno AE86 vs MR-2 SW20 G-Limited RAW || "TOKYOPOP Scan"
  • Manga Volume 16: Trueno AE86 vs Celica GT4 (unofficial, not really considered) RAW || Inane Scan
  • Manga Volume 17: Trueno AE86 vs RX-7 FC3S (anime only)
Part 2: Project D
  • Manga Volume 17: Trueno AE86 vs Roadster S Special RAW || Inane Scan
  • Manga Volume 18: RX-7 FD3S vs Skyline 25GT-t R34 RAW || Inane Scan
  • Manga Volume 19: Trueno AE86 vs Civic EK9 RAW || Inane Scan
  • Manga Volume 20: RX-7 FD3S vs Integra DC2 RAW || Inane Scan
  • Manga Volume 21: Sprinter Trueno AE86 vs Toudou Civic EK9 (somewhat unofficial) RAW || Inane Scan
  • Manga Volume 22: Sprinter Trueno AE86 vs Impreza type R STi, Levin AE85 vs Silvia S15 (both unofficial) RAW || Inane Scan
  • Manga Volume 23: RX-7 FD3S (Keisuke) vs RX-7 FD3S (Kyoko), Sprinter Trueno AE86 vs Altezza SXE10 RAW || Inane Scan
  • Manga Volume 24: Sprinter Trueno AE86 vs Cappuchino RAW || Inane Scan
  • Manga Volume 25: RX-7 FD3S (Keisuke) vs Levin AE86 Supercharged RAW || Inane Scan
  • Manga Volume 26: Impreza type R STi (trial runs) RAW || Inane Scan
  • Manga Volume 27: RX-7 FD3S (Kyoko's car, driven by Keisuke) vs Lan-Evo V, Sprinter Trueno AE86 vs Lan-Evo VI RAW || Inane Scan
  • Manga Volume 28: RX-7 FD3S (Keisuke, newly modified) (trial runs) RAW
  • Manga Volume 29: Sprinter Trueno AE86 vs S2000 RAW
  • Manga Volume 30: Sprinter Trueno AE86 vs S2000, RX-7 FD3S (Keisuke) vs GT-R R34 RAW
  • Manga Volume 31: RX-7 FD3S (Keisuke) vs GT-R R34 RAW
  • Manga Volume 32: The Real Project D vs Project D wannabes (no official battles) RAW
  • Manga Volume 33: RX-7 FD3S (Keisuke) vs Lan-Evo VII RAW
  • Manga Volume 34: RX-7 FD3S (Keisuke) vs Lan-Evo VII, Sprinter Trueno AE86 vs NB8C Roadster (Mazda Miata) RAW
  • Manga Volume 35: No information yet on this Volume. Released June 4, 2007. RAW
  • Manga Volume 36: RAW
*Volume 28. 29: (Chapter 371-376) by Project 88
Volume 29 (Chapter 377-379) (Chapter 380-383||SS Mirror) (Chapter 383-389) by Project 88
Volume 30 (Chapter 390-394 || Chapter 395-400) by Project 88
Volume 32 (After 4th Stage, Initial D impostors! Chapter 425-439) OV || SS
http://www.sendspace.com/file/d9pflj

Anime

"Avex has released the anime in several parts called Stages. One noticeable feature is that it uses Eurobeat music as background music in race scenes."

Manga/Anime Difference:

"Although Initial D is a hit anime sleeper series, its origins began in the manga. However the decision to alter segments of the story was necessary in terms of pacing as well as a slightly believable story. As a result, the changes made towards the conversions are mostly for the better and sometimes removing unnecessary repetitive parts where the manga had much of its content."

Initial D Soundtrack/Eurobeat Selections

"This is the complete list of eurobeat songs used in the hit anime series Initial D. "

"What separates this series is the averaging of 2 new vocal songs per episode making it unique for its large variety. The eurobeat songs are one of the best trademarks of the show being all fast dancemix style music mixed with the combination of streetracing touge as if the battles were all carefully edited music videos. However much to the surprise, all these songs were removed in the Tokyopop English version saying that by changing the songs to a more hip-hop and slightly alternative will provide a better market for a wider North American audience. There has been a large debate about this choice of songs among many angry Initial D fans complaining of this major change (aside from the English language and character name changes), quite possibly making this is the biggest upset change in the series."

"As for the traditional Japanese song choice, a Japanese JROCK group called "m.o.v.e" (a trio of singers Yuri, Motsu, and T-Kimura) does all of the opening and closing theme songs. GALLA, is another JROCK group sings that the 2nd closing song of 1st Stage and the 2nd Stage closing song rather than "m.o.v.e"...."

Games

"Numerous arcade and other platforms video games have been released (note: The U.S. versions of the arcade titles are called simply "Initial D")."

Movie

"A live-action movie based on Initial D was released on the 23rd of June, 2005 in Asia. The movie was jointly produced by Japan's Avex Inc. and the Hong Kong Media Asia group. It was directed by Andrew Lau and Alan Mak, whose credits include the 2002 Hong Kong Blockbuster Infernal Affairs and 1999's The Legend of Speed, a previous street racing melodrama. The movie featured Taiwanese star Jay Chou as Takumi Fujiwara and Edison Chen as Ryosuke Takahashi. It has been met with mixed reviews from Fans."

Official Site

Initial D Terminologies and Techniques

"Numerous sites that discuss driving techniques and terminologies exist on the internet, but for simplification, this article details and summarises most of the terminologies that are discussed in the Initial D anime.
Not all of the information listed here is accurate with respect to real life. However, it is likely that some truth exists in certain techniques that may sound dubious to a person experienced in cars."

"NOTE: Not every car terminology mentioned in the anime has been listed here. The sources of this information are mainly the Tokyopop website, numerous Initial D Forums and Fansites."

"Drifting refers to a driving technique and to a sport based on the technique
A car is said to be drifting when the rear slip angle is greater than the front slip angle, and the front wheels are pointing in the opposite direction to the turn (e.g. car is turning left, wheels are pointed right), and the driver is controlling these factors."

Initial D Car Modifications
"This is the complete list of car modifications as well as some character relations in the Initial D series."

Initial D Real-Life Locations and Popular Culture References

"The popularity of Initial D not only limits itself to the normal anime and manga fans, but has branched out to racing fans who may have never been interested in anime before as well."

Live action interpretations

The show's origins also continues through the well-known drift videos and DVDs in Japan. Such may include "Best Motoring Videos" or "Video Option".

Real-life locations
"The Real-Life locations of Initial D has also become popular landmarks in Japan to such a high degree that many references can be found linking to the mountains. Because of the anime influence already made about the roads, even the laws of driving the mountain passes by the police aren't as heavy security but quite legal. Only at night time are streetracers allowed in respect to traffic during regular hours of days. Some of those references are to prevent accidents such as added speedbumps and guardrails."

"The locations of Initial D's race sites are as followed from the Kanto region.. . There is also a Japanese only website called "Gallery Stage" that features all the real-life Initial D locations identical to their manga pages in terms of camera angle shot as well as the anime itself. Such areas include the actual Esso (GS Gas Station in anime), the Tofu Shop, Lake Akina, Mt. Akina Gutters, Usui's C-121, Irohazaka's winding hairpins, or Happougahara's winding roads."

Anime/Manga Parodies and Cameos
"As for cameos, Initial D has appeared in some anime and mangas being parodies. There are countless more examples of Initial D references, since cars are not limited to just this series. Most Initial D related comments are seen in many manga formats."

Miscellaneous
  • "Video games based on racing such as Gran Turismo, Need For Speed Underground, and Tokyo Extreme Racer have the original Eight-Six Trueno in their games. In Gran Turismo 3 and 4, there is the Sprinter Trueno AE86 GT-APEX SHUICHI SHIGENO Edition which is dedicated completely to its Initial D reference."
  • "New Balance shoes and clothing line are also very commonly used in the series as the characters always wear different clothing everyday. This was not so common in earlier Stages, but is more apparently seen in much later Stages."
  • "Manga creator Shuichi Shigeno has his very own Eight-Six and Impreza STi, which are the two main cars Takumi and Bunta drive. His Impreza STi is gunmetal in color just like the manga and arcade, whereas in the anime it was blue."
  • "Some mountain passes, like Mt. Haruna (Mt. Akina), have added large speed bumps to the road. These "drift bumps" are placed to prevent racing on the mountains. They are usually placed at the entrance and exit of corners, like the five sequential hairpins on Haruna. As of late, many precautions have been taken, such as the drift bumps, to deter street racing. This includes extending the guardrails to prevent the infamous jumps on Irohazaka in Tochigi. Large road reflectors, nicknamed "Cat's eyes" are placed in the middle of the road to prevent drifting, as these reflectors are large enough to tear the oil pan off of a lowered vehicle, though they more commonly destroy alloy wheels. Plastic poles are also placed in the middle of the lanes to deter drifting, as Japanese roads are narrow. These poles are frequently removed by drifters, as they interfere with the required line of the road."

[nami] Thread Moved as this series is considered Seinen [/nami]

Last edited:

ncasolobp

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Initial D Mega Convo Thread

I'm trying to get some information on ID. I'm wondering how many volumes are currently out, and trying to figure out if this is an actively released series as well. Thanks!

Chidoki

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Re: Initial D?

I'm trying to get some information on ID. I'm wondering how many volumes are currently out, and trying to figure out if this is an actively released series as well. Thanks!
In english by Tokyopop it's around 26 - 27 volumes (heavily edited of coarse, edited so badly it sucks). In Edited Mangas online, it goes up to near the end of 28 volumes. However there has been no Edited Mangas past volume 28 sadly as nobody has been translating them. Bottom line, not enough following obviously. The manga in terms of raws available is around 34 - 35 volumes released which is around some 493 - 495 chapters currently.

In terms of anime, the end of 4th Stage is about around the start of volume 32 (but only the start) so volume 32 + are the only current volumes not animated so a 5th stage won't appear in what seems like some 2 years more likely.

If you need more info I recommend looking around www.idforums.net in the "pinned thrends" for example of the general discussions.

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Re: Initial D (Racing, Cars, Drift) Mega Convo Thread

I hope we aren't the only 2 Initial D fans :)

tarco0

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Argentina

i like it too
i hope someone pick it up there aren't many chapters left

Gret

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Hey, i like it too... but so far the scans have been stagnant... hopefully someone will pick this up.

TechnoMagus

Reaction score
Country
Antarctica

yay! finally!!! :smile-big

i like it too
i hope someone pick it up there aren't many chapters left
more like 4 volumes! :o

Hey, i like it too... but so far the scans have been stagnant... hopefully someone will pick this up.
a translator with enough expertise in car racing lingo is the most important. i know someone who i can persuade to typeset and clean.... :smile-big
*point hands to yoniekai*

ALKHHKLA

Reaction score
Country
Australia

I like Initial D too, but i only read up to 370 because they stopped Editing into english. hope someone is willing to continue the Edited Mangas.

TechnoMagus

Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
Re: Initial D Mega Convo Thread

oh correction, 6 volumes untranslated!

update:
http://idforums.net/ has some summaries of the untranslated parts....

FINALLY!!!!! Somebody is going to pick up and start Editing Initial D!!!!

http://idforums.net/index.php?showtopic=6093&st=1250&#

News Update:

By the looks of it, both myself and Phoenix Wright (otherwise known as Nomake Wan), will be taking it upon ourselves to scanlate Volume 32-35+ to fill in the blank caused with the ending of Fourth Stage. We will be releasing the volumes under a new name/group, named One Manga Group (a sort of nod to our previous group One Man Fansub Group).

Please be patient as the whole process (of translation and editing) does take considerable time. Please refrain from making posts asking when it will be done. It will be done as soon as we can get them done.

This post has been edited by BOZZ on Jun 9 2007, 09:08 PM

Last edited:

tio_ganteng

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

count me on!!!
i like it too... but haven't finish yet
could someone finish the Edited Manga please....?
i just cant wait to read the next chapter

TechnoMagus

Reaction score
Country
Antarctica

Edited Manga of volumes 32-35 is as i've mentioned still ongoing. atm, cleaning for both volumes 32-33 are done and we're waiting for the translations.

you can monitor the development here: http://idforums.net/index.php?showtopic=29809

KogiKaishakunin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

big fan as well - just joined MH and i'm up to volume 20 on the tokyopop version

Skillachi

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Re: Initial D

Its been a while since i posted...

INITIAL D W000T ONE OF THE BEST ANIME'S AND MANGA'S.... EVAR!!!!!!!!

(note i said one of...)

Anime- Anybody have word on stage 5 though? I think takumi goin end up driving the impreza for that stage... to hone his driving skills more.
I am gonna go help that Edited Manga group though cuz i speak some japanese maself

Trafford Devil

Reaction score
Country
Mongolia

I can't believe that there are so few Inital D Fans here. I guess the English speaking world hasn't caught on to it yet.

conceptz

Reaction score
Country
Canada

reading through the manga and I realized Chapter 75 + 76 are missing. Anybody have those to upload??

TechnoMagus

Reaction score
Country
Antarctica

missing? :headscratch which volume btw? my links here/etplanet or from irc/torrent?

conceptz

Reaction score
Country
Canada

They were supposed to be in volume 7. In the Etplanet uploads.

Trafford Devil

Reaction score
Country
Mongolia

a new group called project_88 are continuing the Edited Mangas from where Inane left off. they've finished Volume 28 and are now up to Chapter 376, check mangatraders or stoptazmo.