Discussion - Is any event permanent in comics? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Is any event permanent in comics?

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
What i mean is, is there any big crossover event in marvel or dc that still has repercussions to today?Superman is still alive, Onslaught meant absolutely nothing, etc, etc. I mean, after the end of civil war, probably the most disappointing crossover in marvel's history imo, i begin to wonder, how long will it be until none of civil war happened? or it happened but it just doesn't matter.

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
^I think they stay permanent, unless somene changes events. Or...erm. Yeah.

For example, whatever happened in House of M is still affecting them till now, after two years, was it? Or something like that. But they can change stuff like, have Wanda bring back the mutant gene in people, if she can. But they can't reverse what happened, or say it never happened.

Also, same goes for Age of Apocalypse. Even if that universe isn't shown anymore, the people who cam from it are still around. Like the good Sabretooth, Blink, etc.

So yeah. I think stuff will stay permanent, and it will have happened in the future comics, but stories can change keep adding or changing things hat occured.

Erm. I don't think I'm making sense, and I don't know how to explian. But yeah. >.>

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Let's see... What about the Spidey's black symbiote costume. It happened a long time ago and it's still around (currently worn by Mac "former Scorpion" Gargan).

There's still no love lost between the Kree and the Skrull.

The Infinity Gauntlet is still on Earth (last seen in New Avengers Illuminati #2).

In DC, Barry Allen is still in an alternate reality after Crisis on Infinite Earths.

The Guardians still have no idea what to do with Hal Jordan & Ion (and they still kept secrets). And everyone still hates Hal.

Venom65437

Yes and no. The REALLY big events tend to go away in time. Sure House of M and Civil War will probably be around for a while, but once Joe Q is gone, they'll go away, or they'll tell all the good stories they can and reverse it. So if you're happy with recent events then enjoy them! If you know that they sucked ;) it'll eventually go away, if you want to wait long enough.[br]Posted on: March 01, 2007, 04:03:25 PM_________________________________________________The latest "permanent" happening in comics is MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR CAPTAIN AMERICA #25
Cap was shot and killed. Yup....

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
XD Well, that's one thing that's not permanent, EVER in comics.

Even Bucky was brought back to life. Who were the main three they said would never come back? Bucky, Unlce Ben and a character from DC. I think Jason Todd? Robin, or something. Not sure.

Now only Uncle Ben's left.

Up to Marvel to keep him dead. Hopefully.

Though, I liked the story of Winter Soldier. That was a great way to bring back a character, imo.

...and I don't think we need spoilers anymore,like menobaka said, since it's all over the news. XD

Venom65437

Well there is the alternate Uncle Ben running around... I wasn't going to put spoilers but I didn't want someone to have it ruined for them if they didn't know...

GPA

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Thomas and Martha Wayne are dead forever.... even in Elseworlds books they die before the end of the story... same with Superman's Kryptonian parents.

Also, Betty Banner has been dead for a good long time, even though I think they might bring her back with WWH.

manu

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Alternate Uncle Ben is dead...

I guess the only thing not permanent in comics is death. Like Alex from Runaway's >.> am I the only one who wants him to come back to life?

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
^>.>

It was only after the last issue that I want him back, really.

And I thought Ultimate Marvel would be keeping up the deaths forever. :( I seriously thought Beast would stay dead for good :s

I still want Jean Grey back :p Maybe it's time for Emma to replace her XD

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
I want Jean back, too. It just seemed to me that the comic companies would undo the new way the characters and the world they lived in a little time after a big event.

Venom65437

Don't worry guys, Jean will be back again eventually too. It's amazing she's been dead this long...